Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 61

Templario, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »
Re: CPU Module
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

AmigaOne XE G3 750FX 800Mhz/2 GB Ram + Radeon 9000PRO 128MB +AmigaOS4.1
A4000T CyberstormPPC 604e-200Mhz/060/128MB+CybervisionPPC 8MB +AmigaOS4
and anymore other Amigas...
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @tonyw

Just the CPU module (without the heat sink).

Ahh! I just send the Module board from here in Michigan to Italy:
ACube scrapes off the cpu and rebuilds with the new cpu and
returns the Module. Is that what I think I see?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Snuffy

I don't understand. You sent just the CPU module? (which is OK) or all the A1 motherboard? (which is bad )

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ikir

he he i recon i could get it to run @1.4ghz safely now just goto blow my 1ghz cpu so wife will let me upgrade
now where did i put that screw driver

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigaPapst

HOT!

@poweramiga

Eh eh... i'm really thinking of pushing mine at 1,1... If I blow it I will buy a 1,2Ghz module

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Elwood

Look at Rob's post #34. It's just the module that's sent and returned,
not a mobo. That's what I'm trying to verify!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@All

Just received my module today.
Will rebuild the system very soon.

As I have not followed forums about AOS4 final and my system is still update4, my question is: is Final so different from Update4 to justify reinstalling it (I'm lazy and update4 is just good to me)?

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree

Welcome back to A1 (hopefully me too, soonish)

Take care,
Happy OS4-ing
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree

Yes reinstall and enjoy OS4 Final. Don't be lazy

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ikir

Just received today 2 1TB HDDs. Will reinstall the system on one of this monster and copy what I need from Update4.

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree

good luck with your rebuild, how long were you without A1?

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swisso

Arrrgh, it seems the CPU module is DOA. No UBoot display at all. Infos sent to ACube, waiting for instructions.

I moved home in november 2006 and discover the CPU module was destroyed by carrier one week before AOS4 Final was released, so half a year without A1.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree
Have you tried to disconnect gfx card and the reconnect it? have you tried to reset uboot by removing the battery?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

Maybe battery is dead only !?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK & ikir

Battery is new and yes I tried resetting both the battery and the Radeon.

ACube suggested me to check the serial output, but I do not currently have a null modem cable. Will try to find one tomorrow.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree

Try dropping the speed of the cpu. I had to set mine quite low to start with (about 266mhz before my A1 kicked in) Have you made sure that the voltage dipswitches on the motherboard are set to all off? I.E. the lowest setting possible 1.34Volts.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TMTisFree

I was without my A1 from 8th August2005 to 25th March 2007. The only reason I know that is from my D-Net history.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swisso

My 7455 933MHz chip running at 1.0 GHz has been running like that for at least two years now. Before that it ran at Eyetech's original 800 MHz speed.

No problems with my system, but that is because I replaced my heatsink with a Zalman northbridge cooler and a homemade duct with an 80 mm fan in just a few months aftr I got the A1 (before even trying to overclock it). My CPUDocky is showing 131?F right now (about 55?C if I did my math right), and the Silverstone temp monitor in my top 5.25" drive bay is showing 120?F (the probe is measuring the temp of the heatsink above the CPU core, probe stuck between the fins with the tip touching the bottom of the heatsink). Note my CPUDocky is not calibrated, so this temp is likely off a bit. However, since the measured temp with an external probe is only a few degrees cooler on the fin side of the heatsink, I'm thinking the CPU's internal temp circuit is working fairly close to what it should be.

I suppose I could get it to run cooler, but this runs nearly silent. Much better than with the crappy fan/heatsink that Eyetech put on it originally.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to point out that I do not believe the reliability issue is the SPU itself, but likely the assembly of the CPU module and/or other parts on it. These PowerPC CPUs are originally designed for embedded operation, usually in environments that are not necessarily computer-friendly. I would have to say that Motorola/Freescale/IBM have likely "over-engineered" the CPU a bit so that they would work more reliably in those embedded environments.

And we know that Eyetech did not use the correct reference documentation for the CPU they actually used on most G4 setups, as they used an inadequate cooling solution and did not se the voltage to the correct one for the CPU. The 933 MHz 7455 that I have, along with many others, needed 1.79 volts, no the 1.6 they shipped it with, so I'm surprised any of them worked at all!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@dwolfman

My old 7455 ran at 933mhz all the time. As soon as I got the A1 I changed the core voltage to make it run more stable and added a heavy fan with a support bracket to keep it cool. It ran at about 45c to 50c given the vagaries of the temperature display on the tower. I think a weak point in the module design is siting mounting holes so close to the capacitors. As for the cpu itself I agree the design and manufacture are not in question but more the choice of cpu in particular with regard to cooling properties at normal running speeds should not have been the 7455.( in hindsight of course.)( and with the benefit of practical results with the 7457 running at a cool 35c and therefore not requiring such a humongous cooling system.)

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TMTisFree
Quote:

TMTisFree wrote:

ACube suggested me to check the serial output, but I do not currently have a null modem cable. Will try to find one tomorrow.

If you have old cables lying around, u can build one. All u need is a knife and duct tape. And verify your PSU (its the first thing you should do)

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »