Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Why The Sound No Work? x5000- Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital PCI Sound Card (SB0220)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well... I purchased a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital PCI Sound Card (SB0220) that I was assured on another site would work. Still no sound... how frustrating. I assume there is no extra setup besides sticking the PCI card in the X5000. When I get into the sound prefs and try to change the audio modes, the prefs freeze up and I have to reboot the system.

Resized Image

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to buy yet another sound card?

What a pain...

-A1200 w/ Blizzard 1230 - 128MB FastRam
-X5000 1TB SSD HD - 16GB RAM
Go to top
Re: Why The Sound No Work? x5000- Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital PCI Sound Card (SB0220)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What is the chipset on the card you received? That large chip on the board. If yours says emu10k1x-dbq it will not work. I also purchased one at eBay from the link on Hyperion (or was it a link on Amiga.org I forget) but the link was not for the right one.

Although I just looked at your picture and at least the driver is popping up in your sound prefs. It did not on mine. So maybe your card is bad or some setting issue?

You got farther than I. Only Filesave modes appeared on mine so never saw the card I guess.

Did you try booting direct from the Amiga OS X5K CD (which is a perfect clean OS to test from) and see if sound works?

Maybe your prefs are boogered up.

Regards

TJ

Go to top
Re: Why The Sound No Work? x5000- Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital PCI Sound Card (SB0220)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmigaSociety

Will give it a shot booting direct from CD to see if it makes any difference. Thank you for the advice. Hopefully it isn't just the prefs, I don't want to have to reinstall again :P

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@m1nuto

How does your unit:0 assigment looks like then?

this is mine:
Resized Image

There should be no reason at all to do a reinstall just because of this issue :P

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@smf

I tried booting from CD, no luck there, still doesn't recognize that there is a sound card present.

Tried using unit 0 and nothing their either. Hopefully the Crystal Pine card I ordered will do the trick.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@m1nuto

Quote:
Hopefully the Crystal Pine card I ordered will do the trick.

What chip does the "Crystal Pine" card have? Is it one of the supported chips? If not, you could be disappointed.

There are audio drivers for these sound chips:
CMI8738
CS4281
EMU10KX
ENVY24
ENVY24HT
FM801
SB128
SOLO_ONE

Make sure that what you are buying has one of these chips before you spend money on it.

There are many variations of SB cards, some made specifically for Dell and incompatible with everything else.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

The Crystal Pine card has the CS4281 chipset. So hopefully everything will work out ok with this board.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:
The Crystal Pine card has the CS4281 chipset. So hopefully everything will work out ok with this board.

Just to update, this card runs GREAT!! I finally have sound, functional sound that doesn't cut out like the card that was originally shipped with my X5000. Yeah I was out of pocket and extra ~$20, but it was definitely a good purchase as the card shipped with the machine, and the SoundBlaster card I purchased, were hopelessly useless.

Please, if you don't need to go surround sound, and your looking for a card that will work with any of your machines, go with the CS4281 chipset; you will not be disappointed...

Have a great day!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Just to update, this card runs GREAT!! I finally have sound, functional sound that doesn't cut out like the card that was originally shipped with my X5000. Yeah I was out of pocket and extra ~$20, but it was definitely a good purchase as the card shipped with the machine, and the SoundBlaster card I purchased, were hopelessly useless.

Please, if you don't need to go surround sound, and your looking for a card that will work with any of your machines, go with the CS4281 chipset; you will not be disappointed...

I continue to have issues with the sound card. I don't know what changed, but my installation broke and I had to reinstall OS4.1 again. The Pine Crystal sound card that I purchased was working flawlessly prior to having to reinstall. But, post reinstallation I have to physically remove the sound card from the machine, startup with no sound card in the unit, then hard shutdown, replace the PCI sound card and when it boots up the sound works. If at any point I reboot again, sound is broken again and the process must be re-performed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:
I continue to have issues with the sound card. I don't know what changed, but my installation broke and I had to reinstall OS4.1 again. The Pine Crystal sound card that I purchased was working flawlessly prior to having to reinstall. But, post reinstallation I have to physically remove the sound card from the machine, startup with no sound card in the unit, then hard shutdown, replace the PCI sound card and when it boots up the sound works. If at any point I reboot again, sound is broken again and the process must be re-performed.

You seem to have a knack for hitting the most bizarre issues...

The most obvious thing to check would be your AHI settings. Can you check that you have the music units set as follows:
- Music Unit: Unit 0: HiFi 16 bit stereo ++
- Units 0-3: CS4281:HiFi 16 bit stereo++

This is the same sound chip as in the Sam440ep, so you can compare your settings with the instructions on page 7 of this Sam440ep installation guide.

Hope that helps.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto

Quote:

I would suggest you don;t repeat that operation too often, every time you do it you risk breaking something.

I can't see why a complete removal of the card would be needed.

On my SAM with a phase22 I sometimes need to reboot a couple of times to get it to initialise the card if the debug kernel is in use. That's a different driver in different hardware, but you might still check which kernel you are using...

Go to top

Register To Post