Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Screenmode won't adjust after changing to smaller screen size.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have had this issue since receiving my X5000, after changing the screen to a smaller screen size, the damn thing won't change to a larger screen. I'm so tired of this, is there some file that I can manually edit in memacs to force the hardware to use a certain screen size? I've tried manually forcing it to use a screen mode in screenmode, but nothing works.

SO TIRED OF REINSTALLING...

Go to top
Re: Screenmode won't adjust after changing to smaller screen size.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Sure the prefs are modifying something that I can manually manipulate.

-A1200 w/ Blizzard 1230 - 128MB FastRam
-X5000 1TB SSD HD - 16GB RAM
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@m1nuto

Did you get the enhancer pack?
If no, you will limited to to xxxx by 768.

In order to get to xxxx by 1080, You must either buy the drivers from the AmiStore or get the Enchancer Pack 1.3...

Then you use screen Prefs to make the changes you want.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sacc-dude

Have the the most expensive enhancer pack and the proper radeon drivers. Tried fiddling with the screen mode quite a bit and now she freezes when trying to boot.

Looks like the prefs are saved in this directory when modified:

SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive

And Upon boot the running config is copied into the RAM to:

RAM:Env

More about system assigned direcories

The trouble is it's stored in a data chunk so not sure that I can edit it directly. It's stored in the SCRM data chunk.

struct ScreenModePrefs
{
ULONG sm_Reserved[4];
ULONG sm_DisplayID; /* Displaymode ID */
UWORD sm_Width; /* Screen width */
UWORD sm_Height; /* Screen height */
UWORD sm_Depth; /* Screen depth */
UWORD sm_Control; /* BIT 0, Autoscroll yes/no */
};

Pref File Info

Will bother with it tomorrow. At least if I have to reinstall, I can backup the HD directory containing these data chunks so if it all goes south again I can just overwrite the directory while booted from CD.

What a mess this screenmode issue has been.

If anyone knows of a tool to directly modify these chunks besides the pref tools, which won't work while booted from CD, I'd forever be in debt to you...

I'll likely reinstall tomorrow after getting my WB partition backed-up then get my screenmodes corrected, then overwrite all directories but the SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive directory.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@m1nuto

Why are you booting from the cd (of course it won't save/write the changes)

Install correctly to a hard drive and select the highest screen setting you have. After the system reboots from the hard drive.. just install the enhancer pack and THEN change to the setting you want in Screen Prefs (test and save).

why re-invent the wheel.

BUG question... what video card do you have installed???

Edited by sacc-dude on 2017/10/2 22:19:46
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:
I have had this issue since receiving my X5000, after changing the screen to a smaller screen size, the damn thing won't change to a larger screen.

That's so bizarre. Changing the mode in ScreenMode prefs has always changed pretty much instantly. You're the first person I've ever heard having that fail.

Do you get any error message after clicking "Use" or "Save" in ScreenMode prefs? What resolution is it at right now? And do you see the resolution you want in ScreenMode prefs?

While we're at it, what does executing "version RadeonHD.chip" give you?

Quote:
I'm so tired of this, is there some file that I can manually edit in memacs to force the hardware to use a certain screen size? I've tried manually forcing it to use a screen mode in screenmode, but nothing works.

Manually editing prefs files is a bad idea.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:
And Upon boot the running config is copied into the RAM to:

RAM:Env

On an OS4 system there should not be a "RAM:Env". The "ENV" was changed to a device on OS4. Upon booting the prefs should be copied to "ENV:" and not "RAM:Env".

EDIT: I've reported the error in the WIKI docs at the Hyperion forums.

Edited by xenic on 2017/10/2 17:17:23
Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I actually had several weird behaviours over the years of the screenmode prefs that I haven't always reported. Once a program changed the screenmode and other prefs and afterwards I had to manually restore the default setting of the viewable part of the screenmode over and over until it became permanent. I have certain 50hz resolutions not "sticking" while others do (60hz always stay). My current screenmode prefs opens in a new screen even if I tell it not to. I had issues with it relating to the screens prefs.

Edited by Srtest on 2017/10/2 17:35:06
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Srtest

Quote:
I actually had several weird behaviours over the years of the screenmode prefs that I haven't always reported. Once a program changed the screenmode and other prefs and afterwards I had to manually restore the default setting of the viewable part of the screenmode over and over until it became permanent.

Not sure what you mean there with "manually restore the default setting of the viewable part of the screenmode." Were you trying to restore it by copying a backup to ENV: by any chance? If so, then copying to ENV: sets things temporarily (until reboot), whereas copying to ENVARC: makes things permanent.

Saving the screen mode in ScreenMode prefs would have been easier.

Quote:
I have certain 50hz resolutions not "sticking" while others do (60hz always stay).

What do you mean with "sticking?"

Quote:
My current screenmode prefs opens in a new screen even if I tell it not to.

How do you "tell it not to?" Check the ScreenMode prefs' tooltypes; you've undoubtedly got something set telling it to open on a particular screen.

Quote:
I had issues with it relating to the screens prefs.

No idea what you mean here. Mind you, I don't bother with Screens prefs.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
Not sure what you mean there with "manually restore the default setting of the viewable part of the screenmode."

I meant the place in the prefs where you edit height and width. Thought "viewable part" as opposed to "screenmode" was obvious. I would get to a state where it reverted back to values on the editing part and I needed to enable again and again "default" and it stopped after some boot sessions.

Quote:
What do you mean with "sticking?"

Setting a screenmode manualy with the prefs. I had this issue both with pre update 1 4.1FE on a lcd monitor and now on a tv. The range is setup properly. There is an issue with resolutions on 50hz (yes the hdtv supports 50hz like 1080p50). They are usually not saved and sometimes when I put 8-10 screenmodes manualy then the next one if it is 50hz can be saved sometimes (mostly not). I always had issues setting up 50hz resolutions so I used the p96 preferences for that.

Quote:
How do you "tell it not to?" Check the ScreenMode prefs' tooltypes

I checked and the setting "screen" was enabled so I disabled it and it worked. When I launched the screenmode prefs and tried disabling it from the pull-down menu it didn't take and I thought that fiddling with the tooltype might cause me more issues. I think this was changed by the screens prefs because I had no reason to put it to a new screen and I didn't. Thanks.

Quote:
Mind you, I don't bother with Screens prefs.

I used screens prefs with uae and NetSurf and another prog and I think one of them changed something on the default screen so I lost one day every setting I had on all the os prefs. I think it was NetSurf when I tried to enable compositing on a new 16 bit screen. I got this simple message: "".
No setting was active (every setting collapsed to a sort of a "zero" state) so I reverted to default and luckily I backed up my settings a couple of months before so I had a backup.

All of those behaviours I consider strange, because you don't know where they come from and you can't recognize a cause and effect situation. It just seemed to changed randomlly. Like after the "" situation and reverting to a backup, once in a couple of boots I would again get the "" message and every setting was again in a sort of a collapsed zero state. This time of course I understood that I just need to boot again and not do anything so then the backup was functioning after it. After a few more boots it happened again, and again a boot made it to the backup. Now it is not happening anymore and I don't have a clue why. That is weird, like it was possesed

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Srtest
Quote:

I meant the place in the prefs where you edit height and width. Thought "viewable part" as opposed to "screenmode" was obvious. I would get to a state where it reverted back to values on the editing part and I needed to enable again and again "default" and it stopped after some boot sessions.

Okay. Not sure what's going on there. I just tried it, and checking the "default" tickboxes correctly set the width & height to their defaults, even though the values displayed in the boxes are different from the default (e.g., it displays 1085 in the height field, but correctly uses 1080 because default is ticked).

Quote:
Setting a screenmode manualy with the prefs. I had this issue both with pre update 1 4.1FE on a lcd monitor and now on a tv. The range is setup properly. There is an issue with resolutions on 50hz (yes the hdtv supports 50hz like 1080p50). They are usually not saved and sometimes when I put 8-10 screenmodes manualy then the next one if it is 50hz can be saved sometimes (mostly not). I always had issues setting up 50hz resolutions so I used the p96 preferences for that.

Do you mean that you're manually adding modes to the list (as opposed to relying on DDC)? The only reason I know for modes being rejected, is if they fall outside of the vsync and/or hsync limits. Sometimes a mode needs to have "reduced blanking" enabled to be within the hsync limits. This is where using DDC makes life easier...

If you think you've found a genuine bug, then you should report it to Hyperion.

Quote:
I checked and the setting "screen" was enabled so I disabled it and it worked. When I launched the screenmode prefs and tried disabling it from the pull-down menu it didn't take and I thought that fiddling with the tooltype might cause me more issues.

That's the behaviour I'd expect if the SCREEN tooltype is set. There's also the PUBSCREEN tooltype...

Quote:
I think this was changed by the screens prefs because I had no reason to put it to a new screen and I didn't. Thanks.

More likely, you did it accidentally without realising it. It could be as simple as installing an icon theme that happened to have the SCREEN tool-type set.

Quote:
... All of those behaviours I consider strange, because you don't know where they come from and you can't recognize a cause and effect situation. It just seemed to changed randomlly. Like after the "" situation and reverting to a backup, once in a couple of boots I would again get the "" message and every setting was again in a sort of a collapsed zero state. This time of course I understood that I just need to boot again and not do anything so then the backup was functioning after it. After a few more boots it happened again, and again a boot made it to the backup. Now it is not happening anymore and I don't have a clue why. That is weird, like it was possesed

You can't blame ScreenMode prefs for stupid stuff that other software on your system does.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sacc-dude

I had to boot from the CD because my installation wouldn't let me change the screen size. I am encountering a bud, that seems to be an issue of compatibility between the Radeon HD 7700 series card and OS4.1.

It happens every time I change the resolution down from the resolution that I want to use, say to play Gorky or something, which is on a small resolution window, and I want to blow it up by using a smaller resolution on my monitor. If I switch down to say 800x600, when I want to go back up to 1536x2048 ARGB32 @ ~60Hz, I can use the Test tool, and the test screen displays perfectly on the monitor. Once I click the Save button, Workbench tried to restart, to no avail, and once I reboot the system, hello 800x600.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was so hella frustrated at now the 4th time I've reinstalled the OS, that I didn't mess with her for almost a week. Well that and I got a Nintendo Switch :P yummmm Zelda :)
But once it goes down there just is no changing the resolution back up... stuck. Almost called Amiga on the Lake to tell them I need a new video card, but reinstalled instead since I know I can get it back to where I need it after a fresh install and the addition of the Enhancer Pack.

Once I have a perfectly working and prepared installtion on DH0, I will be backing up to an alternate partition so in the event it somehow happens again (unlikely since I know that every time I change the resolution down it happens) I can fix it without having to reinstall the whole OS again. I probably could just backup the drawer that stores the data files the prefs modify, but just as easy to backup the entire partition.

Thanks for the advice though.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

RadeonHD.chip 2.22

Resized Image
new upload photos

Yeah I know manually editing isn't a great idea, especially with my "extensive" knowledge of OS4 :P

But my though is rather, I will backup the Env prefs once I get the system showing the screen resolution that I want, that way if I get stuck at another resolution, I can boot up, overwrite the files on DH0, reboot, and presto... hopefully.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Thanks for keeping everyone posted!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Thanks for keeping everyone posted!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Srtest

If you run the pattern test on the mode, does it display properly? And after it displays properly, if it does, when you click use or save, does Workbench try to restart and get stuck in a restart message loop? And after you manually restart, your back at the same resolution? This is how the problem has presented itself to me.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto
Quote:
@sacc-dude

I had to boot from the CD because my installation wouldn't let me change the screen size. I am encountering a bud, that seems to be an issue of compatibility between the Radeon HD 7700 series card and OS4.1.

It happens every time I change the resolution down from the resolution that I want to use, say to play Gorky or something, which is on a small resolution window, and I want to blow it up by using a smaller resolution on my monitor. If I switch down to say 800x600, when I want to go back up to 1536x2048 ARGB32 @ ~60Hz, I can use the Test tool, and the test screen displays perfectly on the monitor. Once I click the Save button, Workbench tried to restart, to no avail, and once I reboot the system, hello 800x600.

Ah, we're getting somewhere. Workbench failing to reset the screen is caused by a program using the Workbench screen failing to respond to the "please iconify your window now" message it gets sent (at least, I think it's an iconify event). Workbench needs all windows to be temporarily closed before changing the resolution.

So, one or more programs you're running at that point are blocking the Workbench screen change. You just need to figure out which one(s). Please let us know which one, after you've figured it out.

BTW, have you tried changing the screenmode directly after rebooting the system? Assuming you don't have any of the problematic programs running in the background, it should just work.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m1nuto

Quote:
Once I click the Save button, Workbench tried to restart, to no avail, and once I reboot the system, hello 800x600.

Its probably a program that is causing this. Some program have hidden windows, or screen locks that prevents workbench screen from closing.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
Ah, we're getting somewhere. Workbench failing to reset the screen is caused by a program using the Workbench screen failing to respond to the "please iconify your window now" message it gets sent (at least, I think it's an iconify event). Workbench needs all windows to be temporarily closed before changing the resolution.

So, one or more programs you're running at that point are blocking the Workbench screen change. You just need to figure out which one(s). Please let us know which one, after you've figured it out.

BTW, have you tried changing the screenmode directly after rebooting the system? Assuming you don't have any of the problematic programs running in the background, it should just work.

Hans

Yes, I've tried to change the size immediately after the machine has booted, with no other applications open, and Workbench still gets stuck in a try to restart loop. Only native OS4.1 applications running and still no go. I think it may have something to do with my obscure monitor size?? I don't see how that could make a difference, but my monitor is 1536x2048. Maybe if it happens again, I could try to arbitrarily taskkill applications with SysMon until I find the one that is preventing the Workbench restart.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
No, it is the way AmigaOS 4.1 is handling screenmodes.

When I want to change screenmode, I close everything, select my screenmode, save and reboot the system.

Don't loose your time lookig for other solutions. BTW when I pick up a screen mode, I don't change it and keep the best one that suits my monitor.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »