Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Warp3D *SI* game compatibility?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
OK, so I have the Warp3D Southern Islands (Radeond HD) driver installed from the Enhancer Software package.

I tried Payback, and to my disappointment it doesn't work at all. (Menu graphics are corrupt, and then crashes when trying to start the game.) Since it works fine in "software rendering" mode, it's obviously Warp3D SI that it doesn't work with.

What other Warp3D games have people tried? Which worked & which did not?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Warp3D *SI* game compatibility?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

all of the first-person shooter games i enjoy work just fine on my X5K and radeon HD 7750. prboomgl, quake, quake2, quake3, quake darkplaces, quake2 HD....

very nice. very fluid.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
A few more:

Jedi Acedemy,
Odamex,
smokin guns,
tailtale,
gish,
Gorky17 de3mo,
lariad - a space adventure,
cube,
frogatto.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Naverball

Quake 2

Quake 3

Gish

X-Moto

GLTron

PrBoomGL

Chromium BSU

Foobilard

Tilt'n'Roll

VoxelNoid

Lugaru

Open JK

Frogato

Warzone 2100

Homeworld

Speed Dreams

Torcs

Hexen 2 GL

I only had problems with Duke Nukem 3D (graphics corruption screenmode 32 - 16 Bit, 8Bit work OK)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
I tried Payback, and to my disappointment it doesn't work at all. (Menu graphics are corrupt, and then crashes when trying to start the game.) Since it works fine in "software rendering" mode, it's obviously Warp3D SI that it doesn't work with.

Nope. Payback's own FAQ has entries about the PPC and Warp3D versions being unstable.

Another issue with old Warp3D games is that several rely on driver bugs that existed in some early drivers. Payback has an entry on the Wazp3D page with a few config options, so there's a good chance that it's one of them.

Quote:

What other Warp3D games have people tried? Which worked & which did not?

Pretty much all MiniGL games/software works. Older stuff is more hit and miss. For example, I tried Wipeout 2097 using ReWarp, and it simply crashed. ReWarp is still a work-in-progress, so hopefully that'll change.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I tried getting the OS4 versions of SopoBlock and d3GNOP a few days ago but the furthest I got was a grey screen. I have tried any of the 68k versions yet.

The game can be found here if you want to try getting them working.

http://www.nic.fi/~varsa/games.html

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hello

You can try my Aminet/PatchWarp3D (only) when you encounter old warp3D 68k progs that dont works on OS4

Warp3D v4 (os3/68k) and warp3D v5 (os4/ppc) are not 100% compatible as some old v4 functions may not be implemented in new v5 drivers

Note: There is a similar problem with Morphos/Os4Emu that dont implements (wrap) the new v5 functions but only the old v4 ones so allowing only the old 3D games & demos to run on Morphos

Alain Thellier - Wazp3D

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans Quote:
Nope. Payback's own FAQ has entries about the PPC and Warp3D versions being unstable.

But I'm not using the PPC version! I'm using the 68k version. (The PPC version lacks sound on OS4, as it directly pokes Paula for speed.) So it still seems to be some incompatibility between Warp3DSI & Payback.

Quote:
Another issue with old Warp3D games is that several rely on driver bugs that existed in some early drivers. Payback has an entry on the Wazp3D page with a few config options, so there's a good chance that it's one of them.

Is there any chance of either hard-coding such work-arounds for specific games, or (probably better) allowing the user to enable them on a PROGDIR:Warp3DSI.cfg basis?

IMHO, Payback is one of the best 3D games on the Amiga (and it's also home-grown, rather than a port of something you can play on Windows).

@thellier
Thanks for your suggestions, but sadly it doesn't help :(

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Quote:

But I'm not using the PPC version! I'm using the 68k version. (The PPC version lacks sound on OS4, as it directly pokes Paula for speed.) So it still seems to be some incompatibility between Warp3DSI & Payback.

He did say that according to the FAQ PPC and Warp3D versions are unstable, so also the one you are using.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Is there any chance of either hard-coding such work-arounds for specific games, or (probably better) allowing the user to enable them on a PROGDIR:Warp3DSI.cfg basis?

As salass00 said, the Warp3D version is unstable too. W3D_SI already supports the old V4 Warp3D API as specified in the documentation, and I'm not going to add workarounds for buggy software.

Quote:
IMHO, Payback is one of the best 3D games on the Amiga (and it's also home-grown, rather than a port of something you can play on Windows).

See if you can convince the author to update it, or give an able developer source-code access. Perhaps Payback 2 might even be an option via Warp3D Nova and the GLES2 wrapper.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2016/10/4 4:56:13
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All
Just to avoid creating the same kind of thread wants to ask: is there anyone, who was able to run successfully X-Moto game on X5000? Even with original MiniGL and co? For me, it always crashes when I choose a "quick start" in the game.

And another question, I read that "Torcs" plays on x1000 very smooth. But for me, on x5000, it just unbelievable slow. Like, dunno, 5-7 fps. Is anyone on x5000 running successfully Torcs?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
is there anyone, who was able to run successfully X-Moto game on X5000? Even with original MiniGL and co? For me, it always crashes when I choose a "quick start" in the game.

Tried it some minutes ago. X-Moto Version Info: 1.3 (15.07.2010) - Last changed 24th June 2012. Also crashes on my X5000 + R9 280X. But since it is in my X5000 Games directory it might worked before Updating something.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@IamSONIC
And it didn't contain any dynamic sections (so use no SOBJs). Pretty strange.

@All
Is on x1000 X-Moto still works?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

how do you check on OS4 a binary for SOBJs usage?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@IamSONIC

Via "readelf" (its part of SDK), with "-d" flag (to show dinamic sections of binary)

For example if binaray didn't have dinamic sections it will be something like this:

Quote:

7/0.Work:games/X-Moto> readelf -d X-Moto

There is no dynamic section in this file.

If dynamic sections are present (so SOBJs in use), then it will be like this:

Quote:

7/0.Work:games/Frogatto> readelf -d game.exe

Dynamic section at offset 0x840700 contains 19 entries:
Tag Type Name/Value
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libstdc++.so]
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libboostyGfx.so]
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libgcc.so]
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libc.so]
0x00000004 (HASH) 0x1000108
0x00000005 (STRTAB) 0x1003774
0x00000006 (SYMTAB) 0x1001274