Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

BigRamPlus memory expansion and Zorro-III busboard by Mikronik
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I own an Amiga4000 with CSPPC, Mediator PCI busboard and Deneb USB - fitted in the "BigBox" tower-conversio-kit for the A4000 by Micronik (the first version - the "white" tower on the 'upper' photos).

As the 128 mB RAM on the CSPPC are absolutely insufficient nowadays (especially, if one wants to use OS 4.1 classic reasonably on it), I've been flirting with the idea of buying one of the Z-III memory expansions (BigRamPlus or ZorRam) for quite a while.

Nevertheless, warnings like
"BigRamPlus is a memory expansion with 256 MB RAM for any Amiga with Zorro-III slots, i.e. Amiga 3000, 3000T, 4000 and 4000T. BigRamPlus is only guaranteed to work with the original daughter boards of these computers; there is no warranty it will work properly with third party bus boards made by Micronik, Eagle, RBM or Elbox, etc. (BigRamPlus)"
and
"Note: This product is Zorro III only and will not work with Zorro II Amigas or some Zorro busboards. (ZorRAM)"
deterred me from actually buying one so far.

In spite of those warnings, I plucked up courage and ordered a BigRamPlus from Vesalia last Thursday, wich arrived at my home already on the other day - no 24 hours after ordering and paying (PayPal) I held the parcel in my hands!
A big compliment for that to Vesalia!

Last night the moment had finally come when it should turn out if the BigRamPlus works in my Micronik-Z-III busboard or not. I opened my Miggy, inserted the BigRamPlus into a free Zorro-III slot and then powered up the Miggy.

What can I say - booting worked flawlessly, the additional 256 mB of RAM were displayed immediately and the system (OS 3.9/WarpOS) ran stable so far!

So for the record:
First tests resulted in the BigRamPlus working flawlessly in the Zorro-III busboard of the "BigBox" tower-conversion-kit for the A4000 by Micronik (the first version - the "white" tower) in my OS 3.9/WarpOS system.

In my system there are a Mediator PCI busboard (with Voodoo4 graphics card, Terratec 512i digital soundkard and a 10/100 mBit network interface card), as well as a Deneb USB 2.0 highspeed host adapter working flawlessly together with the BigRamPlus in the Z-III busboard of the tower-conversion-kit for the A4000 by Micronik.

In spite of the numerous warnings of the Micronik-busboard I did not encounter any problems in the functional interaction of the BigRamPlus and other Zorro-III devices in my system config so far. It should also be mentioned that I have the Buster rev. 11 on my A4000 Motherboard.

As a next step I will order at least one more BigRamPlus and upgrade my "experimental installation of OS 4.0 classic" to "OS 4.1 Final Edition, Update 1"...

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top

Register To Post