Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

mufa, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Can 1,000,000 NatAmis Be Sold? YES!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
But, they'd have to come in a custom case, gaze at my avatar!!!!!

Have 64 megs of fastram, at least. Be expandble to 2 gigs (most AOS can control, right?)

And be MAX $800 US.

Now imagine it running off of CF cards.

Internally, it should have 4 CF sockets. And 2 externally.

If the 4 internally were set up in a RAID, and read in striped mode, you'd have upto 160 Megabytes a second transfer rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amiga! The ultimate computer! (Even without MP and multi-user, heh!)

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Can 1,000,000 NatAmis Be Sold? YES!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Atheist
( NatAmi)
And be MAX $800 US.
Never...
I'd rather buy a MacMini and save a couple hundred dollars, than waste time in 'dream' that will never ccome true!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
In fact, let me up the ante.

This could be this decades Commodore 64.

It's 100% hackable! Is nearly instant on.....

Almost a portable. Storage is more than adequate.

The crucial thing is, ONCE the design is established, there shouldn't be like 8 different revisions, where SW works on those 2, but not these 6, and this SW works on those 3 but not these 5.

At most, 3 different variants, and they need to be 80-90% compatible.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Atheist

Whatever you are on, I want some

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

1,000,000 natamis? heh. i seriously doubt it. unless they were free.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Snuffy wrote:

Hi @Atheist
( NatAmi)
And be MAX $800 US.
Never...
I'd rather buy a MacMini and save a couple hundred dollars, than waste time in 'dream' that will never ccome true!

Hi Snuffy,

I have no clue how much it would cost to make this computer, but if it's over $800, it would be very hard to sell above 10,000, which I think it could reach even at US$1,000.

However, if a profit could be made at $450, then it could reach 1,000,000, I would say.

The thing is, the custom case is going to cost alot of money for a small run, that's why I tossed out the $800 per unit.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
1 million ? I dont think so. Must be a good dream you have there :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

More like 500 units

We are not talking ultrafast game console her, just a fast AGA computer (2D graphics).

I'm better of buying a PS3, the PS3 thats a killer console for music,films and games

Don't get me wrong I love to see a NetAMI demonstrated.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi LiveForIt,

Eeerrrr, yeah? The PS3 you say?

Can you program that immediately _unrestricted_ out-of-the-box?

Is Linux adept at using those 7 SPEs?

How much of the 256 Megs is used up when you load up linux?

AOS1.3? ~200K. AOS3.5? ~450 K?? Add 500 K, with many enhancements.

At 266x150K from a CF card, it takes <1 second for the _entire set_ of system files to be transferred to ram and be launched!!!!!

That is one killer console EVEN by today's standards!

Amiga was SO FAR ahead of it's time, it beyond belief!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

>Eeerrrr, yeah? The PS3 you say?
>Can you program that immediately _unrestricted_ out-of-the-box?

Don't know I have not been looking for SDK, I most likely need windows computer or some thing I have no idea, but really does PS3 need my Cappy games anyway?

>Is Linux adept at using those 7 SPEs?

Well I'm not going to use it for Linux, and think PS3 system provides what I need anyway.

>How much of the 256 Megs is used up when you load up Linux?

I have no idea, and I do not care, all I can say is that PS3 games have impressive texture quality.

PS3 system provides Video, MP3 and games whit out Linux installed.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
xeron wrote:

@Atheist

1,000,000 natamis? heh. i seriously doubt it. unless they were free.

Hi xeron,

What's the absolute lowest price a NatAmi could be sold for?

I'm talking about just the computer in an Amiga Fantasy Case (very important "branding" issue) with 512 megs ram, and 64 megs chip ram.

Internal SATA and EIDE controller (support the _much_ cheaper 3.5 inch HDs, can put in a 2.5 inch). Also 4 ports for upto 4 CF cards, so that one could EASILY go to strictly solid state operation.

External sockets for 2 CF cards _and_ 2 SD cards. Flap cover.

CD/DVD rewriter on side. Must have flicker fixer.

Needs an 880/1760K floppy drive too.

Say, _no profit_ price? Could it be sold for US$250?

Really, is that not sellable in the 1,000,000 range?

No one's going to sell it for no profit, I'm making the point that it IS sellable in that range.

I think even at 500 to 700 it could reach 1,000,000 with all of the above implemented.

10,000 at $800? I think that IS realistic.

Look at what's being paid for PPC accelerators that will be connected to FIFTEEN year old HW!

Kicko, yes, I believe!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
.... but do people want c64:s today?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
spotUP wrote:

.... but do people want c64:s today?

Hi spotUP,

Are people so different today from yesterday?

Put in a disc, game starts in 30 seconds. From a CF, <8 seconds.

This would be GREAT for kids 5 to 10 years old.

Hooks up to a CRT, a VGA, an LCD....

Throw 'em AMOS Professional....

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

At best, a NatAmi based console can compete with ?10 TV toy type games at retail.

Except that it is likely to cost about the same as a Wii to buy.

Nobody except hardcore amiga enthusiasts are going to spend that much cash on any off-the-shelf FPGA based board simply because you're not getting the performance for your money.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

I'd really prefer a small MiniITX case. Something standard so I can buy what I want for reasonable price. I don't want a keyboard style one, because I have a nice KVM setup, would buy a larger KVM if I must, but would have trouble finding room for two keyboards.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
Say, _no profit_ price? Could it be sold for US$250?

Really, is that not sellable in the 1,000,000 range?
No way. Unless you'd create something like the C64 in a joystick, with the best 50 Amiga games included and sell it for <= US$25.

For US$250 you could sell at most 1000, but very likely much less. But it can't be produced that cheap anyway, even a "simple" (compared to something like the NatAmi) Zorro USB card costs more than US$200.

Quote:
10,000 at $800? I think that IS realistic.
At that price 100, maybe 200, is realistic.

Quote:
Look at what's being paid for PPC accelerators that will be connected to FIFTEEN year old HW!
Very few of them, probably less than 50 since AmigaOS4 for classic Amigas was released, and you can run current software (AmigaOS4, AbiWord, Pidgin, MPlayer, OWB, ...) with them which isn't the case for the NatAmi.
The NatAmi can only be used with AmigaOS 3.9 and other m68k software, which is in most cases even older than OS 3.9, and which runs much faster in UAE, even on old, used PCs you can get for free.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

The CardFlash won't be a selling point because the Pandora will have that for cheaper in a handheld.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist
Quote:
What's the absolute lowest price a NatAmi could be sold for?

Onthe NatAmi site (they have forums setup there now) Gunnar is talking about a $100 natami (if they can get the SuperAGA code embedded in a ColdFire SoC type CPU)

How many people would pay $100 for a NatAmi? :D

And they're talking about releasing (licensing?)this 'Natami on a Chip' @ about $20 / chip so _anyone_ can make a Natami in whatever formfactor they can think.. like the D64 joystick, a mini-itx board.. whatever your imagination can dream and your skills permit you to create.

tiffers

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I will buy 100%, this is the best amiga clone.
Os4 working nice on A1, but for classic amiga systems with PPC, OS3.9 is better solution. (more compatibile and faster).
On my A1200 with OS3.9 I can use much more programs and games than on OS4. I also have OS4 on that amiga and most programs/games (native) working slow and unstable, just like most of OS3.x programs via JIT emulation.

OS4 is nice, but I like Os3.9 with 1000+ cool and old programs/games that working 100%.

NatAmi will be GREAT!!!!!!

A4000 PPC, A1200PPC, A1200/040, A120/030, A500x3
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
That's part of what I love about the Amiga community; some of it is so detached from reality there's a kind of endearing innocence about it.

Atheist, I'm sure your motives are admirable, but believe me the market has changed massively since the days of the C64.

In those days you had to get your hands dirty to use your new computer with 39KB of useable RAM, and it was capable of producing cool 2D effects and simple lo-res graphics. Those were the days of the home computer.

These days you have "next-gen" consoles pushing photo-realistic graphics around hi definition screens at full framerate with full 24-bit 7.1 sound.

Or you can buy a cheap PC for about $600 with dual core processors and comparitively ultra-fast 3D graphics at high resolution.

Ask man-in-the-street which they'd rather have: Next-Gen Console, $600 PC or a NatAmi which they can program. You don't need me to tell you what they'd say....

Why on earth would anyone apart from people like us be interested in such a limited machine? The NatAmi is great, and I look forward to seeing/owning one. But it's so far removed from current technology it'll never appeal to anyone but the hardcore.

In the past, everyone had a micro-computer because they were new, funky, simple to use and not expensive. Now everyone has consoles for the same reason, but to them the rewards are magnitudes higher with a console than any NatAmi computer could be, so which are they going to buy?

Face it, the days of the micro-computer are gone. We live in the days of the generic no-name PC and consoles, and even that's declining as consoles and set-top boxes become more advanced eventually we'll see the PC go to a minority like it was back in the 90's. Don't know about roud your way but here in Aberystwyth, the Game store has shrunk its PC game section right down compared to a few years back... that says a lot, I feel.

Personally, I miss the old days *sniff*. But that's just the way it is.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »