Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

UAE on ARM Linux?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Has anyone tried UAE on Linux on an ARM processor? I'm considering getting an ARM based netbook/tablet that uses a Texas Instruments cortex-A8 chip. One of the OSes it can run is Ubuntu, so presumably I could use the Linux version of UAE on it.

Any idea how UAE would run on a 1 GHz or so ARM chip?

Go to top
Re: UAE on ARM Linux?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jbni

That sounds like odd hardware :P . You come to an Amiga-site which is "odd" in itself and asking people here if they got that hardware...

Anyway... E-UAE runs ok on an AmigaOne with a 800MHz CPU and also on the Wii with a 733-766MHz (can't remember) CPU so why not?

AGA games can be kind of slow and you can forget about 3D games though. OCS/ECS games should be fine and perhaps AGA games as well.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hotrod

Well, the AmigaOne and Wii are both PowerPC chips, so they're pretty similar. (The Wii's is probably considerably faster per clock, since it's a newer design, but it's the same family of beast.)

ARM chips are probably the most common in the world. And I do mean most common, not 'most common after Intel 80x86 compatible'. Pretty much every smartphone, most dumbphones, and embedded gizmo runs on some flavor of ARM.

(ARM originally stood for Acorn RISC Machine. It's come a long way since then. :)

There are quite a few cheap ARM-based netbooks, and most of the Android tablets coming out use some ARM or another.

I guess I'll just have to find someone with an equivalent gizmo and have them try it out.

Really, if the device can run both UAE and Einstein (the Newton emulator), I'll pretty much have to get one. :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jbni

Well the Pandora http://openpandora.org is the same cpu but clocked lower. OCS/ECS is apparently running fine (UAE-4ALL) not sure about AGA but I guess we can hope. I haven't got mine yet but when I do I can let you know. So in short for A500 class you should be fine, AGA fingers crossed.

EDM

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@EvilDrMike

Actually, that's very encouraging. I mostly want to run Workbench-legal software anyway, and ECS is fine. Thanks for the heads up!

Go to top

Register To Post