Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Give glUAE a go
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
We all know that classic emulation on current Amiga hw can be problematic.That is especially true with the more modest specs of the SAM series. I have been playing around extensively with glUAE and urge everyone to give it a go.

I won't focus on the other available programs runadf and RunInUAE, I also use these.

glUAE is a unique concept where the author has tried to take the hard work out of configuration. The suggested screenmodes significantly enhance performance, in addition the Helpers written by Saimo download all the requirements, there are several install options including adf and WHDload.

glUAE is free and the indivisual Helpers are available for purchase at a very very modest price. Given the effort put in I highly recommend this to all.

All of a sudden I have a very enjoyable UAE experience on my SAM. For instance I have been playing Deluxe Galaga and Tower Assault with my game pad all with excellent speed and very good sound.

In playing around with glUAE lately I have uncovered a couple of issues with some UAE versions. The SAM optomised will not support AmigaInput, .28 will not support the sound_latency option which greatly improves sound quality.

Please PM me if you are interested or have some questions on using glUAE.

My big thanks to Saimo for his incredible work on glUAE and Helpers.

http://saimobvq.interfree.it/glUAE/index2.html

ace

Go to top
Re: Give glUAE a go
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

I'm most thankful for your great feedback and support... thanks a lot!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@acefnq

as I've mentioned before on other threads....glUAE rocks! The installtion is painless and the results are amazing on my Samflex with OS4.1 Update1

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@acefnq

Can you please tell me how you got your gamepad working? I would love to get mine working too
I'm using the Sam optimized e-UAE

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Thanks for your wonderful support!

As for getting your joypad to work, acefnq gives us a hint:
Quote:
The SAM optomised will not support AmigaInput, .28 will not support the sound_latency option which greatly improves sound quality.

In other words, he's using the "regular" 0.8.29.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

ahh yes..sorry I did'nt have my coffee yet ...ok i'll give .829 a try but I could swear that the Sam optimized version was quicker (or at least in my head anyhow)..

@ acefnq

pm sent

Edited by 328gts on 2010/2/14 4:50:42
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts
Check you PM.

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

In fact I have launched the install script and see the script installed on S:arexx (hum, next AOS update will delete all

After the install, I haven't understand what I must do and I have finished like that.

Now, by reading the site, I have seen that there are some preparations to do for all the stuff the user want to run on their NG computer.

BTW, one question:

- I have most (all??) of the amiga classic stuff on whdload install). Can I use whdload install game direclty with gluae ???

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:
In fact I have launched the install script and see the script installed on S:arexx (hum, next AOS update will delete all

The installer only suggests S:, but you can choose to install glUAE anywhere you prefer

Quote:
After the install, I haven't understand what I must do and I have finished like that.

Now, by reading the site, I have seen that there are some preparations to do for all the stuff the user want to run on their NG computer.

Not entirely correct: what needs to be done depends on the application and on the user preferences. Examples:
1. if one has a directory where the ADF images of a game are stored, the game can be launched by simply passing the directory path to a script called glUAE_LA: the game will be run with UAE using the default UAE configuration stored in .uaerc;
2. (continued from the previous example) if one wants to use some specific UAE settings for that game, it's enough to include in the directory an .rc file that contains the settings that differ from the global ones (it's also possible to have multiple .rc files: glUAE will ask which to use when the game is launched);
3. (continued from the previous example) if one wants to launch the game via icon, it's enough to put a project icon in the same directory with the default tool set to glUAE_LA;
4. if one wants the game to be entirely contained in a single file, it's enough to pack all the files to an lha archive and launch it with the script glUAE_ULA or glUAE_ULASD (the latter makes sure that modified data is saved back to the archive).
There are also other possibilities, but for those please refer to the instructions on the website.

Helpers have been designed precisely to make these preparations very easy to everybody (have a look at these videos: 1, 2).

Once preparations are done, old stuff can be run transparently and easily just like native applications - from shell/icon/AmiDock/WB menu/whatever (check this video out)...

Quote:
BTW, one question:

- I have most (all??) of the amiga classic stuff on whdload install). Can I use whdload install game direclty with gluae ???

Yes, absolutely: to glUAE the nature of the software being run makes no difference.
By the way: whenever possible, helpers also offer the option of using WHDLoad-installed games.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@saimo

To be honest, I've just given up trying to install GlUAE. We cannot really call its usage "painless" when you look at this page

Nonetheless, I admire all the work you put in GlUAE but it's far too complicated and too long to set up for me

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@K-L

Quote:
To be honest, I've just given up trying to install GlUAE. We cannot really call its usage "painless" when you look at this page

Nonetheless, I admire all the work you put in GlUAE but it's far too complicated and too long to set up for me

Are you sure you're just not being overwhelmed by the documentation (I'm just asking)?

Installation is done entirely by the installer, which asks the user:
1. "please select where to install the scripts" (ASL requester - default answer: "S:");
2. "please locate UAE's executable" (ASL requester);
3. "please select a location for temporary file operations" (ASL requester - default answer: "T:");
4. "Please select compression level for storing modified data back to archives [...]" (requester with 4 possible choices);
5. "Notify when the archive of a packed application gets updated?" (requester with yes/no choice);
6. "Do you have a centralized system?" (requester with yes/no choice - it isn't mandatory, so you can just say "no").
I believe that these requests are really simple.

If you explain me what blocked you, I could try to make it even easier (although I honestly believe it would be hard).

EDIT: this video shows the installation of R-Type by means of an helper*: the system on which installation is executed doesn't have glUAE already installed, so the helper automatically downloads and installs glUAE first - have a look at it, it might be helpful.
*Please note that helpers are application-specific add-ons that make also installing applications a lot easier.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

I was surprised by point 4 and 5 because: what an archiver could do with UAE, and also by what is a centralized system ????.

The problem is because I haven't read first the documentation of GLUAE (the famous RTFM is verry important with GLUAE) and I haven't understand how work GLUAE.

I have just read the rtype movie and now I could said: hey, I understand more what gluae should do Interesting to learn a tool by a video, It's my first time

The other problem is to try to use also RunInUAE, who the RunInUAE philosophy is to just double click a normal WHDLOAD game and theorically should work (I'm not arrive also to do that with RunInUAE). Here, with GLUAE, some work must be done by the user first.

I think finally most of the problem is .... the first time user

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:
I was surprised by point 4 and 5 because: what an archiver could do with UAE, and also by what is a centralized system ????.

Quick explanation (but for details, yes, you'll have to refer to the documentation):
* the archiver is needed when one wants to pack all the files of an application to a single file (in the videos, you can see that the games are always installed as a single file);
* the centralized system is a directory where one can put all the files shared by the applications that run under emulation - f.ex., I have on a partition (HD4:, as shown in the R-Type video) a complete AOS 3.9 system, which is transparently used when an application needs (in this video that happens when AMOS Professional is launched).

Quote:
The problem is because I haven't read first the documentation of GLUAE (the famous RTFM is verry important with GLUAE) and I haven't understand how work GLUAE.

Yes, it is important to read the documentation, but, really, there is nothing complicated

By the way: helpers practically reduce to zero the amount of manual fiddling by the user: try also this helper to see for yourself.

Quote:
I have just read the rtype movie and now I could said: hey, I understand more what gluae should do Interesting to learn a tool by a video, It's my first time

For your (and everybody's) convenience:
* running Superfrog, All Terrain Racing, AMOS Professional and AmigaOS 3.9 with glUAE;
* installing Superfrog with its glUAE helper;
* installing R-Type (and missing tools) with its glUAE helper.
Please note that the videos have been recorded on the fly on the same machine performing the operations, so the frame rate is low, the resolution is small and things happen more slowly than normal.

Quote:
The other problem is to try to use also RunInUAE, who the RunInUAE philosophy is to just double click a normal WHDLOAD game and theorically should work (I'm not arrive also to do that with RunInUAE). Here, with GLUAE, some work must be done by the user first.

As I explained in a previous post, glUAE does not strictly require preliminary operations: it depends on what the user wants to do. However, to benefit from the additional features of glUAE (f.ex. like the abovementioned single-file-application), a few simple operations must be done first.

Quote:
I think finally most of the problem is .... the first time user

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@acefnq

big thanks for the help! I now have my gamepad working great with some of my favourite classics on my Samflex..just awesome

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

I honestly was confused with the installation and all the documentation too at first but after only 1 email with Simone I was up & running like never before quite easily..and yes 'painlessly'

trust me..i tried like crazy to get Deluxe Galaga AGA to work properly on my Samflex with no luck but now I'm so very happy

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

Register To Post