Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Installing & running classic software in few clicks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
QUICKSTART

Videos:
* running Superfrog, All Terrain Racing, AMOS Professional and AmigaOS 3.9 with glUAE;
* installing Superfrog with its glUAE helper;
* installing R-Type (and missing tools) with its glUAE helper.

Please note that the videos have been recorded on the fly on the same machine performing the operations, so the frame rate is low, the resolution is small and things happen more slowly than normal.

DESCRIPTION

The subject of running classic software on AOS4 easily and transparently has been and still is widely discussed. This thread brought me to a decision: making things even easier than they currently are.
That's to make a long story short. Now, instead of giving boring explanations, I'll let you see and then also try my idea.

First of all, here's a video showing Superfrog being installed from scratch and then run (excuse me the very low resolution: it was necessary because my A1, besides performing the operations shown, was also recording the video on the fly).
This is what was needed (except for the stuff that comes with the OS, of course): LhA, curl, SetDTool, UAE and glUAE, plus the helper, which is the piece of software that performed the installation process. Had SetDTool and glUAE not been available, they'd have been downloaded and installed automatically as shown by this additional video.

To avoid that one is fooled into thinking that all that work is need just to run a game, let me stress (again) that those videos show also the installation of the games and of the additional tools required. Just running classic software is as easy as running native software - have a look at this other video.

Now, if you're interested, you can find all the details and also a practical example to try out on the "HELPERS" page of glUAE's website.

Please note that the project has just started (in fact, the page is incomplete). I have only a few helpers ready, but, if there is enough interest, I plan to create those for several (many?) of the legally available applications (games, to start with) and to ask for a donation of EUR 1 for each of them.
What do you think?

Edited by saimo on 2010/2/4 22:45:22
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/4 22:49:16
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/6 19:19:28
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/7 15:49:36
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/7 19:18:20
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/10 18:34:30
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/10 18:43:49
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/10 18:47:27
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/10 18:48:02
Go to top
Re: Installing & running classic software in few clicks
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@saimo

The idea of get our games installed automatically sounds good but, if we want a program like LightWave 5.2 (this version exist spreaded in the net), it?s possible install it with same method?

SAM440EP 667Mhz A1200/060 Mediator
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AlfaR0me0

Quote:
The idea of get our games installed automatically sounds good but, if we want a program like LightWave 5.2 (this version exist spreaded in the net), it?s possible install it with same method?

Sure it is (have a look at this video, where you can see AMOS Professional and then AmigaOS 3.9 being launched from the WB menu). The point is: does it make any sense? Generally we already have native versions of old applications and sometimes, like in the case you mention, emulation performance could be a problem.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

OK Simone..you've got me intrigued now ..I'm gonna give glUAE a try & let you know how it goes..

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

glUAE are rokz. If you will one time understand how setup it fast, then in end you will have just dbl-click on icon, and your game will runs without any problems. I will make a bit later some nasty video (soon will buy good hi-res camera) with some example.

As for me, glUAE for now a bit "easy" for usage if compare with runinuae by chrish. There is nothing patches, no any annoing windowses, you just preapre .rc file (your uae config) and put it to the directory of the game. And then just an icon, which point on the one gluae sript. Then just double click on it will run your game.

But better see one time on video, just to detect how good is it (later)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

glUAE is not as complicated as it seems, and now helpers make life a lot easier!

@kas1e

Quote:
glUAE are rokz. If you will one time understand how setup it fast, then in end you will have just dbl-click on icon, and your game will runs without any problems.

Thanks, I'm happy you find glUAE so useful.

Quote:
There is nothing patches, no any annoing windowses, you just preapre .rc file (your uae config) and put it to the directory of the game. And then just an icon, which point on the one gluae sript. Then just double click on it will run your game.

With the helpers, even the simple steps you mentioned aren't necessary anymore (but, of course, who wants can keep on doing those operations manually)

Quote:
But better see one time on video, just to detect how good is it (later)

Although the quality is low, I have posted a video myself: get it from here (it's linked also in the initial post, but since I added it later with an edit, it might have passed unnoticed).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

With the helpers, even the simple steps you mentioned aren't necessary anymore (but, of course, who wants can keep on doing those operations manually)

In general, what i dislike, it's that fact, that helpers connect somethere and download something. I always preferable downlaod all what i need myself, and later setup it as i want. Also these "connects to some site" will just die after a while and will not works (because site will die anyway soon or not so, but will, it's just one more amiga-related site which will be get to trash after i while 100%).

So for me still just setting basic/initial glUAE are much better. But maybe someone will found helpers usefull of course :)

Quote:

Although the quality is low, I have posted a video myself: get it from here (it's linked also in the initial post, but since I added it later with an edit, it might have passed unnoticed).

The bad think with that video, that is recorded by SREC, so - it's not show how it feels for real. How many fps, how fast it react and so on. Team17 logo jumps strange, and users who will watch that video will think "holy crap, what is that ? uae emualtor ??". + you show there adfs choice, long waiting, archive boredom (users mostly don't want to have something packet, and autounpack it every time, users mostly just unpack all of this one time, and use it).

Will be cool if you can record such video but just by the camera, which will show real fps, real speed, real react of os and e-uae itself :) For now it's just slideshow :(

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
In general, what i dislike, it's that fact, that helpers connect somethere and download something. I always preferable downlaod all what i need myself, and later setup it as i want. Also these "connects to some site" will just die after a while and will not works (because site will die anyway soon or not so, but will, it's just one more amiga-related site which will be get to trash after i while 100%).

So for me still just setting basic/initial glUAE are much better. But maybe someone will found helpers usefull of course :)

I wasn't suggesting you should use helpers: I was just pointing out to others that helpers help users avoiding the manual steps you were talking about.

By the way, as for downloading stuff. Helpers aren't meant to be used more than once: when one receives a helper he uses it and gets the game installed; after that, he can just delete the helper - it's just of no use to keep it.

Quote:
The bad think with that video, that is recorded by SREC, so - it's not show how it feels for real. How many fps, how fast it react and so on. Team17 logo jumps strange, and users who will watch that video will think "holy crap, what is that ? uae emualtor ??".

Yes, of course the frame rate is slow, but the point is showing how easy is running stuff with glUAE.

Quote:
+ you show there adfs choice, long waiting, archive boredom (users mostly don't want to have something packet, and autounpack it every time, users mostly just unpack all of this one time, and use it).

You must be thinking of the wrong video: the one I indicated just shows how easily Superfrog, All Terrain Racing, AMOS Professional and a whole AmigaOS 3.9 system are launched with glUAE.

Quote:
Will be cool if you can record such video but just by the camera, which will show real fps, real speed, real react of os and e-uae itself :) For now it's just slideshow :(

I wanted to do that, but my bro took the camera somewhere else, so at the moment I can't.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

Anyway glUAE rock with or without helpers :) I use it all the time when want just play in old amiga game - that is what is real matter. Thanks for :) Today i plays about 1 hour in the GODS (well known game from Bitmap Brothers who did also Chaos Engine). Not sure that i will ever plays in that game on real hardware anymore (just will not have motivation to found any real amiga, setup it, wait while all the crap will loads). But with glUAE + UAE on os4, it's looks now how i want it 10 years ago on my a1200 :) Fast, smooth and easy. And still on amigaos :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah, I understand you very well: I've been thinking the same a few times... sure, it's not exactly the real thing, but so enjoyable nonetheless...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

well i finally got my beloved Deluxe Gal;aga working great on my Samflex@800 with your helper installer soo a BIG thank you for making glUAE The game plays smooth on a smaller screen with in game music shut off...
you were right in that the installation was'nt as difficlut as I first thought and the helper installation was painless and straight forward! A small donation is coming your way my friend

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Quote:
well i finally got my beloved Deluxe Gal;aga working great on my Samflex@800 with your helper installer soo a BIG thank you for making glUAE

You're welcome!

Quote:
The game plays smooth on a smaller screen with in game music shut off...

Smaller than what? I hope the game area still covers most of your monitor's.

Quote:
you were right in that the installation was'nt as difficlut as I first thought and the helper installation was painless and straight forward! A small donation is coming your way my friend

I'm very happy everything went so smoothly

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
As for me, glUAE for now a bit "easy" for usage if compare with runinuae by chrish. There is nothing patches, no any annoing windowses,

The latest RunInUAE (alphas) do not need to open a window, if you don't want. Just set CX_POPUP=NO in the tooltype.

EDIT: Or were you talking about E-UAE's "debug output window"? That is now hidden by RunInUAE.

Not sure how glUAE is "easy" compared to RunInUAE: Once RunInUAE is installed, the user does not need to create/edit any config files for a game, they just double-click on the game and RunInUAE redirects it to E-UAE. No need for any "helpers" either, in most cases.

WHDLoad games do not even need any patches to work (so in those cases RunInUAE doesn't even need to be running).

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/2/6 10:53:36
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

saimo wrote:
@328gts
Quote:
The game plays smooth on a smaller screen with in game music shut off...

Smaller than what? I hope the game area still covers most of your monitor's.

yes when I choose full screen mode at game startup I get the full height of my screen and only a small portion is blank at the sides of the screen...thanks again for the help as I had no luck at all running this game with either EasyUAE or RunInUAE on my system before

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Quote:
yes when I choose full screen mode at game startup I get the full height of my screen and only a small portion is blank at the sides of the screen...

Ah, perfect then: the black bands are necessary to respect the aspect ratio, because the game's is different from the monitor's.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

now I'm keeping my 1200 for purely nostalgic reasons as I was only booting it up to play Deluxe Galaga AGA & mess about with Lightwave on it...now we have Blender & glUAE running fine on OS4.1

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

I'm really happy for you
But I have to admit I always shed a tear when one our beloved Miggies retires...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

saimo wrote:
@328gts

I'm really happy for you
But I have to admit I always shed a tear when one our beloved Miggies retires...

I'm not sad as I retired my original 64 and A500 a long time ago but still boot them occasionally to keep them 'healthy' so retiring does'nt mean abondoning in my case

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

Good practice. I wish I had the room (and the time) to do the same with my A1200...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

The helpers system has matured quite a lot since I presented it: for this reason all the stuff linked to in the original post has been updated.
Moreover, the collection of helpers, although still small, has started growing - now it includes helpers for the following games:
* All Terrain Racing
* Arcade Pool
* Banshee
* Benefactor
* Deluxe Galaga
* Follia NBA
* Katakis
* Kick Off 2 CV
* Lionheart
* Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
* R-Type
* Sensible World of Soccer 96-97
* Shadow Fighter (ECS)
* Slam Tilt
* Super Stardust
* Superfrog

If there is any particular game you'd like to see supported, ask here - but please provide also a legal download link

Edited by saimo on 2010/2/8 18:28:09
Edited by saimo on 2010/2/8 20:55:08
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »