Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AmigaOS 3.1 getting update from Hyperion
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
64Bit filesystem support amongst other things.

Look here:

Update list

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 3.1 getting update from Hyperion
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Interesting! They should make KingCON the default Shell (handler), as I find OS3 virtually unusable without it :)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm sure it'll be released simultaneously along with an SMP version of OS4 and an office suite....and those audio and NIC drivers for every existing piece of A-Eon hardware.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Sounds more like a backport of OS4 bits and pieces. Does the OS4 shell have native pipe support? I've never used it, but the OS3 shell allowed you to pipe to More, so I'm not sure what's missing.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@ferrels

Yeah, seriously understaffed and lack of funds has left their ability to deliver their promises in state where there's quite a bit to be desired.

Nevertheless, my guess is that Thomas and Olaf won't be caught up in all that, at least not for the coming release.

As a side note, I wish Hyperion would make it easier for third parties to make OS4 hardware drivers and stop taking all that upon themselves. They just don't have the resources to manage that on their own.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
Does the OS4 shell have native pipe support?

Sort of. You need to use "PIPE:" placeholders.

This works:
list SYS:#?info LFORMAT %N TO PIPE: | sort from PIPE: TO RAM:sortedfile.txt
Note: the use of the "|" does nothing more than executing both commands. You can execute first the "list" command and then the "sort" one.

Second example to extract only the "Disk.info" file:
list SYS:#?info LFORMAT %N TO PIPE: | grep Disk PIPE:
(grep comes from the SDK)

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:

Sort of. You need to use "PIPE:" placeholders.

No you don't, but it does make things easier with commands that don't support reading / writing from the Input and Output streams.

Quote:

This works:
list SYS:#?info LFORMAT %N TO PIPE: | sort from PIPE: TO RAM:sortedfile.txt

True it does sort is an awkward command as it doesn't read input from stdin but alwats from a file, so the explicit PIPE: is needed here.

But

list SYS:#?info LFORMAT %N | more

works as both commands are writing to and reading from Output and Input respectively

Quote:

Note: the use of the "|" does nothing more than executing both commands. You can execute first the "list" command and then the "sort" one.

No it's a pipe it feeds the output of STDOUT into STDIN of the next command (via an anonymous PIPE:) running both comands in paralell

Quote:

Second example to extract only the "Disk.info" file:
list SYS:#?info LFORMAT %N TO PIPE: | grep Disk PIPE:
(grep comes from the SDK)

No need for the PIPE: in this case

9.AmigaOS4:> list SYS:#?info LFORMAT %N  | grep Disk 
Disk.info

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
Yeah, seriously understaffed and lack of funds has left their ability to deliver their promises in state where there's quite a bit to be desired. Nevertheless, my guess is that Thomas and Olaf won't be caught up in all that, at least not for the coming release. As a side note, I wish Hyperion would make it easier for third parties to make OS4 hardware drivers and stop taking all that upon themselves. They just don't have the resources to manage that on their own.

Bit to be desired? That's a serious understatement. X1000 users have been waiting nearly 10 years for audio and NIC drivers. Hyperion promised a web browser, office suite and an SMP version of OS4 10 years ago as well. It's been 2 years and no audio or NIC drivers for the Tabor, nor FPU support. Hyperion hasn't delivered on any of their promises in 10 years and based on your assessment why would one believe that they now have the resources and the resolve to deliver anything related to OS 3.1?

I suspect that anything they release for 68K Amigas will simply be patches and fixes already available on the net bundled up with Hyperion's name affixed to the box. So no thanks.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ferrels

Please help me out with your last post.

The only thing that I understand to be correct about Hyperion
is the promise of a SMP version of AmigaOS and Gallium 3D .
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?s=SMP
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?cat=18

Do you have any links or references to
the promise of a web browser and office suite ?

My understanding is that drivers for certain onboard stuff like sound and Ethernet is now the responsibility of the manufacturing company of the particular AmigaOS 4.x supported motherboard.
This since the Sam460ex on board Audio .
http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=news&id=88
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... um=3&topic_id=4802&order=

The X1000 onboad audio is supported .Since 2013 apparently .
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?s=audio

The Tabor NIC and Audio would be the responsibility of A-Eon to get working.
They may use someone who also is a Hyperion Dev in some cases to do the driver.
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.b ... 33&t=3847&start=10#p42550

The onboard SATA drivers for X5000 and Tabor also seem to fit in to this area.
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.b ... ic.php?f=57&t=3617#p39937

The Tabor FPU support was always 3 pronged.
(1)Native FPU compiled or recompiled programs
(2)An initial basic trapping mechanism
(3)A turbo emulation mechanism

There have been public or video options demonstrations of options #1 and #2 while #3 is being worked on .
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=832098&postcount=34

Edited by Spectre660 on 2017/11/1 18:36:09
Edited by Spectre660 on 2017/11/1 19:04:42
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Spectre660

Here's a thread from 2010 discussing the failed port of Open Office. There are more threads going back even further if you choose to look for them: Open Office

And afterward, in 2012, A-Eon announced an effort to port LibreOffice which has also amounted to nothing: LibreOffice At this point even A-Eon recognized that Hyperion had once again failed to deliver and attempted to step in and rectify the situation.

Here are some Hyperion claims regarding SMP from back in 2011. Again, there are other references dating further back in time if you choose to Google them: SMP

and this one:

SMP

In those days Hyperion was claiming it would take less than 2 years for an SMP version of OS4 to be completed.

And here is a blog update from Hyperion back in 2013 about SMP progress, or rather the lack of it: SMP

As for a web browser, Timber Wolf (FireFox) was a disaster: TimberWolf

A bug riddled mess was delivered and most OS4 users can't or won't use it due to the bugs.

Hyperion and A-Eon are now a joint venture since A-Eon bailed Hyperion out of its financial mess. So laying the blame on A-Eon for the lack of driver support is the same as blaming Hyperion.

As for "being worked on", that's all that Hyperion seems to be able to offer.....

Edited by ferrels on 2017/11/1 19:55:47
Edited by ferrels on 2017/11/1 19:56:54
Edited by ferrels on 2017/11/1 20:04:24
Edited by ferrels on 2017/11/1 20:05:19
Edited by ferrels on 2017/11/1 20:09:10
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Thanks for the explanation. All this should go in the manual somewhere
I see a few words are here though: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_ ... AmigaDOS_Command_Examples

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ferrels

Be careful.
Statements about somebody bailing someone else out can be considered libel if you can't prove it .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Spectre660

Someone bailed them out and it wasn't Amiga INC.

Quote:
Brussels, April 12, 2015

Contrary to some news items posted on certain websites, Hyperion Entertainment CVBA is not in a state of bankruptcy. Due to an unfortunate set of cirucmstances, the company was temporally listed as "bankrupt" despite the fact that the conditions for bankruptcy were never met and that in the eyes of the law, the company was never bankrupt. Development of AmigaOS 4 (which recently culminated in the release of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition) is and has been ongoing albeit that some resources had to be directed away to support the upcoming hardware of A-EON Technology. The company is in the process of reorganizing itself by opening up its shareholdership and appointing a new exective director. More details on that will follow when all legal formalities are behind us. Quite a few AmigaOS 4 supporters have approached us with the question what they can do to help us accelerate development of AmigaOS 4.2. To that we have a very simple answer: please upgrade all your AmigaOS 4 capable hardware to AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition. Not only will AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition be used as a base-line for future updates, you will also help us to accelerate AmigaOS 4.2 development! Those of you who have other concrete ideas, we welcome to contact us. We appreciate your support and we look forward to meet you at any of the upcoming celebrations of the Amiga's 30th birthday!

So either Ben has a rich aunt from Nigeria or A-Eon helped them out. And despite the denials of bankruptcy, you don't get listed as bankrupt by accident as was implied.

A-Eon is the only company that would have had any interest in this "restructuring" which in my country is colloquially termed a "bail out".

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ferrels

@ferrels

The bankruptcy status was as a result of what is called a Default Judgement . Someone filed an application in the court system. Hyperion failed to answer in time so the court ruled in favour of the party filing the application .

The fact that the bankruptcy status was reversed on some sort of appeal does not indicate a bail out .If they were indeed bankrupt as in the Legal definition they would probably been liquidated with any assets sold off .

" The bankruptcy order in Belgium
The bankruptcy order must specify the date when the company ceased to make payments and include other information, such as: the supervising judge appointed for the case, the timeframe within which creditors must make their claims against the company and the dates at which the list of claims will be closed.

After the court order for bankruptcy is released, the bankrupt company loses control over all its assets. Liquidators handle the liquidation process in Belgium and make sure that the creditor’s claims are met.

The purpose of the bankruptcy procedure in Belgium is to distribute the assets of the bankrupt company to the benefit of its creditors."

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ferrels
I shall probably regret responding to you, but AFAIK (from public posts) :

TimberWolf is nothing to do with Hyperion. Two of their main developers created it in their spare time, but it was a personal project, with nothing to do with Hyperion. This was made clear from day 1.

I see nothing in your Amiga.org link to prove that Hyperion ever promised an Open Office port (but I didn't look past the first page). I certainly don't remember them ever promising it.

The X1000 has an audio driver. You really shouldn't complain about things that don't affect you, particularly as your information seems to be over 4 years out of date.

As Spectre660 says, I believe that after the X1000 it has been the manufacturer's responsibility to provider some motherboard drivers.

I don't know why you mention Tabor, when it hasn't even been released yet (AFAIK - I'm not personally interest in it, so I haven't been following news about it.)

Some of your criticisms are valid (Hyperion aren't perfect), but you seem desperate to blame Hyperion for everything. And the fact that you have ignored valid criticisms of your criticisms leads me to believe you are only interested in bashing Hyperion, and are unwilling to modify your beliefs when presented with facts that put Hyperion in a better light. That makes your judgement suspect, and therefore your claims suspect too.

Quote:
Hyperion and A-Eon are now a joint venture since A-Eon bailed Hyperion out of its financial mess. So laying the blame on A-Eon for the lack of driver support is the same as blaming Hyperion.

Now you are speculating & making wild accusations. You can't prove it, so it seems silly to even mention it. Except of course you personally NEED that to justify how A-Eon doing (supposedly bad) things is somehow the fault of Hyperion.

P.S. *If* A-Eon doing bad things is the fault of Hyperion, *then* A-Eon doing good things is thanks to Hyperion. A-Eon has done a lot of good, so we can thank Hyperion for that, right? (I await your logical contortions for why this is not the case...)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

The Tabor hasn't been released as per A-Eon, the audio, NIC, and FPU problems haven't been sorted out. The boards have been available for 2 years now but Trevor won't sell them until the drivers are finished and the FPU issues are resolved. I guess he doesn't want a repeat of what happened with the X1000, and I don't blame him. He lost a lot of prospective customers over that.

The TimberWolf debacle has everything to do with Hyperion. It was headed by Hyperion's 2 chief programmers, the Frieden brothers. They even posted their progress reports from Hyperion's official blog site. TimberWolf

I'm unwilling to modify my beliefs because I'm unable to ignore the facts.

And unfortunately, Hyperion was bankrupt and the official records state so.

But believe what you will. You don't seem to be one who can be swayed by anything factual and you have an economic stake in this with you being the author of PortableE for the Amiga. I'm nothing more than a disgruntled former customer who won't make the mistake of buying anything associated with Hyperion again. Neither my ego nor my wallet rely on the success or failure of Hyperion.

Edited by ferrels on 2017/11/1 23:29:47
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hyperion's Blog has been used to post about quite a few things that were not Hyperion Projects.

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?cat=19

"Timberwolf: Progress on an important project
Posted by Thomas Frieden on March 28, 2011 Comments Off on Timberwolf: Progress on an important project

Note: Since this blog is a channel for OS4 developers to tell about their projects, I think it’s a good idea to post something about Timberwolf here, even though it’s not related to Hyperion Entertainment or a specific AmigaOS development."

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

This forum is about "AmigaOS 3.1 getting update from Hyperion".

So, please, don't hack it !

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ferrels

Quote:

I'm unwilling to modify my beliefs because I'm unable to ignore the facts.

Your "beliefs"? You got that right at least...

BTW someone who is unwilling to modify their beliefs when confronted with facts to the contrary, as you say that you are, is more commonly known as a fanatic.

Quote:

And unfortunately, Hyperion was bankrupt and the official records state so.

You can keep believing that if it makes you feel better... It is clearly not true though.

Quote:

But believe what you will. You don't seem to be one who can be swayed by anything factual and you have an economic stake in this with you being the author of PortableE for the Amiga. I'm nothing more than a disgruntled former customer who won't make the mistake of buying anything associated with Hyperion again. Neither my ego nor my wallet rely on the success or failure of Hyperion.

"economic stake"? You're kidding, right?

PortablE is made available for free AFAIK and even if it wasn't I don't think that ChrisH would be making any significant amount of money from it.

What you are essentially saying is that you won't listen to anyone who has used AmigaOS 4.x and actually have a clue what they are talking about, if their views are contrary to yours.

Edited by salass00 on 2017/11/2 12:46:39
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ferrels

Quote:

I suspect that anything they release for 68K Amigas will simply be patches and fixes already available on the net bundled up with Hyperion's name affixed to the box. So no thanks.

I'm quite certain that to take an example Olaf Barthel's reimplementation in C code of FastFileSystem with long file name support, which the posted image suggests will be included, is not available anywhere on the "net" unless you are referring to some pirate version available by torrent or other such distribution form.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »