Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

afxgroup, davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Wing Commander vs any other Amiga game
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DaveP
I don't know that one (maybe you meant Elite?) but sometimes although a game come earlier a later one gets more recognition as a genre defining game, for example there are Street Fighter's clones but SF certainly wasn't the first "one on one" VS fighting game (Karate Champ comes to mind but there might be even earlier attempts) or Doom Clones and so on.
In the above comparison I meant "Wing Commander" in such sense.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@DaveP

Why not do an uptodate port yourself :)

Go to top
Anonymous
@Kicko

Because its like a Gynaecologist coming home from work and his wife asking him to take a look at some pus.

Try as I might, when I'm working this hard coding all day, I can't face coding at night.

Otherwise, I'd love to. A decent retro remake of Wing Commander would be very welcome out there I reckon.

Not converted to a full 3d shooter, but sticking with the "Codename Max" style.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DaveP

Wing Commander Amiga used half-brite mode (64 col) instead of the VGA 256-col for speed reasons. I think Nick Pelling did great work in getting it to work on OCS Amigas.

The PC sound was originally processed through Midi and had to be adapted as an Amiga MOD.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DaveP Quote:
2d cut scenes, music and sound

So Wing Commander should have streamed detailed animations from a *floppy disk*? Wind Commander was a large game, they didn't have the space for them (and probably not the memory to buffer them either).

P.S. Going by this and your other thread (X1000), I have to wonder if you are intentionally being a devils advocate?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@K-L

I've used WC Patch for teh CD32 version of WC on the A1200 - I played WC back in '90 on the PC and I personally think the CD32 version was as good, as playable and had decent music.

Cheers,
Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Anonymous
@Rudei

Good sides:

- Wing Commander WAS made for Amiga, and was in a wave of last good commercial games being made for it, due to hardware limits, especially of floppy based A500

- It works great as action game on unexpaned A1200, works playable even on plain A500

- As explained before, machine did not have any 3D (CPU reliable), OCS GFX is downgraded to 64 colours (and that is half bright mode) and Paula sound, as well as to floppy

- WingCommander OCS (yes, OCS) scored high and WAS (and IS) one amongst best kind of 3D games I have played on A500

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=ht ... s/details.php%3Fid%3D1355

Bad sides:

- I miss more Wing Commanders (larger games with more missions, more CGI anims have been realised and now forgotten in PC world)

- I have not seen the CD32 realise, but as with most of conversions to CD32 (not speaking of CDTV/CD32/AmigaCD realises only) it mostly remained the same, just was shipped on CD. In some instances CDDA music was added

We can argue on CBM policies, AGA was a good competitor to 2D VGA Cards, but as soon as they got 3D Amiga was out of the game ....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Why the misinformation about EHB? Wing Commander OCS is four bit planes all the way (also mentioned earlier in the thread). They did at some point show an animation with more colours. I'm guessing the 3 disks, with the packing algos they were using, wasn't enough.

And the music is good. :D

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

vox wrote:
- I have not seen the CD32 realise, but as with most of conversions to CD32 (not speaking of CDTV/CD32/AmigaCD realises only) it mostly remained the same, just was shipped on CD. In some instances CDDA music was added

In this case I believe it used Akiko.

(yes, I'm aware this is a three-year-old thread that has been dredged up)

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)