Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Wireless Keyboard finally works!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Figured I'd post this because getting this thing to work was an enourmous headache. Wireless mouse, no prob. (Mr. Mysza ps/2 adapter, green ps/2 usb adapter, plug reciever into that). Sega wireless gamepads, a little more hassle, but not bad (this thread). Keyboard? That was the biggest prob yet. But it works now, thanks to US$10 spent at Radio Shack.
I originally bought a Micro Innovations wireless keyboard/mouse combo from a thrift store some years ago (The mouse wasn't included, though). It's a keyboard that takes 2 "AA" batteries, and a reciever that has 2 ps/2 ports (1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse). @ the time, I didn't even have a ps/2 compatable Amiga, but I bought it for when I was to do my tower upgrade.
When I got my tower upgrade, I went with Elbox's pckey-1200, which is an AT interface. That and a din-mini din adapter got every ps/2 keyboard I owned to work. Every one except the wireless one.
After trying exotic and weird combinations of adapter (ps/2 to usb back to ps/2, etc..) I finally found a way to hook it up. Kind of. With a generic dual-ps/2 to single USB adapter, I was able to plug it into my USB device, but that only works when the USB drivers are active. WHDload doesn't like them, and crashes my system when it loads (why I have the remove command in the whdload prefs, followed by the driver loader firing off after it quits). So, I would tinker with it, but not terribly much. Finally, I found out how to get it to work with the pckey 1200. With a wired keyboard, the pckey seems to halfway-activate the keyboard, which won't work until you press a key. The wireless keyboard won't send a keystroke until its completely activated. This little catch-22 was what I was dealing with. A friend of mine recommended a KVM switch, which would interface with both the Amiga and the keyboard independantly, allowing the keyboard to work. I found a few in the $40-$50 (US) range, mostly USB switches. Finally, at a Radio Shack, I found a US$10 KVM switch that was ps/2 only (the TK-205). Plugged the reciever into the console side, and the pckey-1200 into the KVM cable on the 1st slot, and fired the beast up.
The thing works because of a stupid KVM switch... Which I now have a completely wireless Amiga! (except for a wifi card, still working on that, though its kinda hard to justify, as I have a 100mbps card on the mediator) Kinda wish this thing had the mouse when I got it second hand, as it would be one less gadget littering my desk, but its not that big a deal when I can just toss the keyboard on my lap, lean back, and not worry about tripping over stuff when I get up. Or when I have to lean forward to use the mouse, which I'm thinking of getting a lap tray to keep the mouse, keyboard, 2 sega controllers, and the DVD remote I rigged to the USB port. But I'm not sure if I'm lazy enough to do all that....

Resized Image The keyboard, complete with my "spare" flaming boing-ball case sticker
Resized Image the reciever for the keyboard, with the red LED showing a connection. (It lights up a puke amber color when it can't find the computer)
Resized Image the $10 KVM switch, which is used as nothing more than an adapter at this point.

Resized Image
Go to top
Re: Wireless Keyboard finally works!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kvasir

very nice,now all you need is a wireless printer adaptor to plug into old printers.

then the last thing you may need is a GSM/GPRS/3.5G wireless module than plus into seiarl port for quick internet access.

Go to top
Re: Wireless Keyboard finally works!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@delshay

Already considered the printer option. My wife, unfortunately, was with me @ the time (The trip to Radio Shack that resulted in the KVM purchase was done solo, when I actually had the debit card. I'm guessing this won't happen again for a few months ). She's not as enthusiastic about "geek toys" as I am sometimes.

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post