Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »
Re: There is hope for OS4 on the Classic.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xeron

Thank's for the information. It's good to hear that. Hope it appears soon. Many owners of classic Amigas with PPC on board just can't wait to get it in thier hands ;)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Sir_Lucas

Quote:

Sir_Lucas wrote:
@xeron
Thank's for the information. It's good to hear that. Hope it appears soon. Many owners of classic Amigas with PPC on board just can't wait to get it in thier hands ;)

It's good to hear that it's still in development, so they haven't given up on it.
But: This doesn't tell us anything about when it will be released or if they are even allowed to release it during the lawsuit.

I have thought again about this question (which nobody could answer) and I think the answer is NO, they can't or won't release it during the lawsuit.

Why? They are doing the same with OS4 for Samantha and other hardwares, they can't release it because of the lawsuit and want to be careful.

I don't think many Phase5-boards are still alive after the lawsuit and even then we don't know if Hyperion even "wins" it. So maybe it's time to sell my board.

The promise that it will be released "soon" doesn't really cut it anymore. We have heard that too often and nothing happened.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

Hyperion are representing to the court that they are the owners of Amiga OS4. Under these circumstances it would make little sense to hold back on a release if the OS is ready for end users.

Pianeta is not far off now and there is a trend for big announcements to be made there.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Helge

Will we have to wait until the end of the lawsuit so that Classic OS4 can be released by Hyperion and ACube?

I have no idea, but it doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't buy OS4.x anyway because of lack of hardware upgrades to my old Amiga system - A1200. It would be very expensive to do this!

I'll pass...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Snuffy

Well it?s for those that that already have PowerUP card, not for those that do not, let?s hope Sam440 hits the Amiga market.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Helge

The officially unofficial statement is that currently, I am working on the classic version (just recently added Mediator 1200 and 4000 support).

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue

Superb!!
Perhaps there will still be life for my A1200 after all.

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

Yes, I have thought this to be the case. You have said that the priority was bumped. But is the release postponed because of the trial case?
If it's not possible to release it during the trial case, then there will be a lot of time to make refinements and enhancements.

When there was advertising from ACube this spring about the Amiga 4000 version to be released, I was expecting that the release was imminent. Only the A1200 version was said to appear laters "to be announced". Maybe these plans have changed because of the lawsuit. :-S

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@Helge

Hyperion are representing to the court that they are the owners of Amiga OS4. Under these circumstances it would make little sense to hold back on a release if the OS is ready for end users.

Then you need to explain to me why there isn't already a port of OS4 for Samantha and other hardwares? If they were the owners then they were able to release it without asking Amiga Inc for a license anymore!

Quote:
Pianeta is not far off now and there is a trend for big announcements to be made there.

Last year there was the big announcement of Mr. McEwen that OS4 will be released for Samantha and that there is great cooperation between Amiga Inc and ACube?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue

One way or another that's a very good news. The sooner it gets released the more joy the Classic users will have ;)

Keep it up. I do hope it will get released soon. Thank you for that information, it's very crucial ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Well done.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

Great, well done. Hope to read news like this from this moment on

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It seems that "business as usual" is the theme that follows any postings I find by OS4 developers.

Plus, the court case is trying to work out who is right and wrong in the argument, and there has been no official order by the court to stop distributing the OS etc.

Business as usual would mean release of OS4 for other hardware, but asking if the release is being delayed by the case, or when it will be released etc are unlikely to receive any real sort of reply.

If I'm correct the original license was to develop and market OS4 for AmigaOnes and PPC accelerators (classic Amigas), as well as any future AmigaOne (or similar) systems announced by A Inc.

If the classic Amigas have been pushed back, but still being worked on, it would seem only reasonable that classic version will be released soon.

If Sam440EP was announced by A Inc to be a target platform, it's only reasonable to assume that that means OS4 on Sam440EP could be in existence already (due to it's similarity to the Teron based A1's) and with the public released of the Sam440EP "Red One" boards at the upcoming Pianeta Amiga, hey presto, suddenly theres a market for it to be released to.

It's easy to look at the negative side of things, and it's understandable to be guarded in getting your hopes up, but detaching from the emotions and looking at it logically brings out some interesting possibilities :)

tiffers

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thank you Rogue.. I am looking forward to this, my mediator setup really needs it.. I am quite tired of OS3.9. My question to you is, will I be able to "upgrade" OS3.9 to OS4 and keep settings, icons etc or will a clean install be necessary?

I have about 4 FFS / SFS formatted harddrives with "goodies" on them, will I be able to read them after I upgrade?..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Alkaron

Quote:
My question to you is, will I be able to "upgrade" OS3.9 to OS4 and keep settings, icons etc or will a clean install be necessary?
OK, not directed to me personnaly, but you will probably need to install OS4 clean then add any tweeks that you already use one by one to see if they work OK, and are still needed. This is how I managed each upgrade to the OS4 pre-release, and it has worked very well.

Quote:
I have about 4 FFS / SFS formatted harddrives with "goodies" on them, will I be able to read them after I upgrade?..
When I first got my A1, I connected my A1200 hard drive to the ide connector and copied everything across to my A1 hard drive. So basicly, yes you will still be able toread your old partitions. As for the goodies, you will have to try them out when you have installed OS4, but have a look over at OS4depot first, as there are quite a few OS4 native utilities available.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Helge
The officially unofficial statement is that currently, I am working on the classic version (just recently added Mediator 1200 and 4000 support).

Rogue, can you tell us some details how Mediator support was implemented? Did you write a new pci.library or can the old one from Elbox still be used?

How did you solve the DMA problem? If I remember correctly, Elbox hacked the DMA or it wasnt a real DMA, so it might be difficult to support. I hope that Elbox were helpful with the documentation nonetheless.

Do you think the speed will be much improved on a Voodoo with Mediator compared to an old BlizzardVision?

I think it's a good idea to support Mediator, because it is much more common than the GRex, which is not supported anymore.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Alkaron

I am quite tired of OS3.9.

Why? It really bothers me how one can be tired of OS he/she is using. Is it not meeting your requirements, your needs? What if there was no hope for "classic" users? Would you give up Amiga completely because of being tired using already installed OS?

P.S. In no way this post is supposed to start some flame or is an attack on Alkaron.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

OS4 supports the mediator as it does any other PCI bus. It shows up through the standard OS4 API (expansion.library -> PCI interface).

If you want to use Elbox's 68k pci.library instead, just remove any OS4 standard drivers that would try and use the cards on the mediator, and install it as you would on OS3.9; Elbox's drivers (provided they are up to date) work with the native P96 etc.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mailman

Its easy.. I have BPPC, and the PPC-processor isnt used very much except for some PPC-datatypes and archivers (and some other things too).. I would love AmigaOS to run just with the PPC-processor native..

I would not give up on Amiga if OS4 wasnt released for CA.. If it wont be released I will sell my BPPC card and try to get a NG amiga (of some sort)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Alkaron

So you are not tired of OS 3.9 but simply need change to something your hardware was more likely created for :) You feel that your Amiga is not fully used. I guess it is far more different from tiredness.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »