Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Wow. I love AREXX...
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@dwolfman

My MicroA1-c has been loaned out to another developer for some time now and I've never used the Amiga versions of Python. I learned Python on a PC and use it occasionally on my Mac in between sessions with C++.

The place that I'd look for the Python SDK would by http://www.python.org/ but I'm not sure how much of that works with OS 4.x.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kvasir
Quote:

address ibrowse
gotourl 'www.amigaworld.net'

Wouldn't you prefer to have 18MB+ of Python files installed to perform that function instead of ARexx

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
ARexx is fantastic for scripting little things

Probably 90% of what is done with ARexx scripts are little things that you don't need a complete programming language to accomplish. Over the years there have been numerous extensions to ARexx (in the form of libraries) in an attempt to make it a complete programming language because of the lack of a complete & simple interpreted language on Amiga. If AmigaBasic had been continued, updated, expanded and had an ARexx port added; we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I think we could just add an ARexx port to Python and have the best of both worlds.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

LOL, yeah, thats a good point. But with a 40GB drive (a monster even for AOS 3.9) I suppose it wouldn't be too bad. But AREXX is lightweight, and does what it was designed to do. (AFAIK, swapping data between apps, and simple scripts to automate mundane tasks like the one that started this surprisingly lengthy thread) Though adding an AREXX port to python would be an interesting approach, and would allow for much more complicated daemons, and perhaps a sophisticated data port management system, though I'm having trouble finding a good use for that amount of power given the limitations of many programs AREXX interfaces. I would LOVE to have an AREXX port in AmigaWriter, which I use for school alot, my homework being hosted on a website in HTML. Python I suppose could be used to decode the HTML, and "manually" enter the formatting into an AREXX enabled word processor, making my life that much easier. Though the same could be done in AREXX, the code would be rather chaotic and a pain to manage. I'd probably end up writing a ton of C code, and using the "address command" function alot.

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Was thinking, wouldn't it be possible to write an "arexx.library" with the data port addressing routines in it, and just include that into Python? (Unless workbench.library already has something like that)

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)