Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Skinning OS3.x (AfA 4.0 released!)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
. Can someone cancel this post? Thank you.

Edited by Kreciu on 2008/4/15 18:09:47
Edited by Kreciu on 2008/4/15 18:10:49
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Great app! Many many thanks for supporting the Amiga.

Whilst it works here, I am still undecided if the eye candy is worth the slowdown.....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ddni

The AfA_OS code itself increases the OS3.9 performance. The eye candy is an optional feature.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit

OK, so if I turn off skins and AF fonts, 3.9 will be faster?

Excellent, a good app gets better and better :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@klesterjr

I can install this thing at all... :(.

I put a C:morelibspace at the begining and... computer doesn't see and SCSI devices??

I move closer to SetPatch computer works but Afa is OFF (I can't see a PNG icons...:( ).

There is a time that computer doesn't boot at all...

I use a OS3.9 with BB1 and BB2, Picasso96 (Voodoo on Mediator).

I really don't understand.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi All,

As I understand things you need to put the c:morelibspace *before* setpatch. and append REBOOT - the caps are needed, I don't think reboot will work(?) - to it if you are running 3.1. Having said (typed?) that it don't work for me.

I have a number of patches running on my OS3.9 install, so I am guessing there is a conflict. At present all I know is that it fails to get as far as a boot picture I have, all I get is a black screen with the dick drives (DF0:) clicking away. If I take the boot picture out of startup sequence I get no further. I have the following patches;

fblit, ftext, BlazeWCP,WBAllocFast

Could someone who has this working please post their startup-sequence?

Many thanks

J.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cogvos1

Quote:

cogvos1 wrote:
Hi All,

As I understand things you need to put the c:morelibspace *before* setpatch. and append REBOOT - the caps are needed, I don't think reboot will work(?) - to it if you are running 3.1. Having said (typed?) that it don't work for me.

I have a number of patches running on my OS3.9 install, so I am guessing there is a conflict. At present all I know is that it fails to get as far as a boot picture I have, all I get is a black screen with the dick drives (DF0:) clicking away. If I take the boot picture out of startup sequence I get no further. I have the following patches;

fblit, ftext, BlazeWCP,WBAllocFast

Could someone who has this working please post their startup-sequence?

Many thanks

J.

Hi,

I use a 3.9 and I almost don't have any patches (mcp) otherwise it is "clean". I disabled birdie, and VisualPrefs.

You see my floppy is also clicking... I mean the system start booting but than... just floppy is clicking. Black screen. When I cancel a c:morelibspace system start (even when I leave a Afa_os_loader?!)

Than I can start the Afa prefs.

I use a newest Mediator drivers... and Voodoo.

System is really "clean".

HELP.

BTW. "In the past" I used a Afa3.95 (3.96) I don't remember... I installed even png icons... ehh I will try "go back" and try again 3.9x. Soon.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
@ddni

The AfA_OS code itself increases the OS3.9 performance. The eye candy is an optional feature.

What exactly increases performance in AFA_OS? The TrueType fonts with or without antialiasing? The skins? The support for PNG icons? All of these DEcreases performance. Most importantly, even if you disable all the eye-candy, the AFA_OS task itself eats CPU cycles even when everything idles. Launch scout to see it by yourself.
The only thing that increases performance afaik, is a single patch in the graphics.library which replaces IconBeFast and makes icon rendering faster. Of cource, PNG icons will still be slower.
Correct me if i said something inaccurate.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Amigamancer

Quote:
What exactly increases performance in AFA_OS? The TrueType fonts with or without antialiasing? The skins? The support for PNG icons? All of these DEcreases performance.

Correct.

Quote:
Most importantly, even if you disable all the eye-candy, the AFA_OS task itself eats CPU cycles even when everything idles. Launch scout to see it by yourself.

I can't see any activity except the Scout itself and LimpidClock eating almost 10%.

Quote:
The only thing that increases performance afaik, is a single patch in the graphics.library which replaces IconBeFast and makes icon rendering faster.

Correct but besides that there are several optimized libraries in AfA_OS_Libs folder that replaces the original system functions. All I can say is that my system is more responsive with AfA_OS installed. Bernd, the author of AfA_OS, would give you more precise answer, though.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)