Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

68k application in OS4Depot? No!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
http://os4depot.net/share/office/spreadsheet/ignition.lha -
Ignition currently is not an OS4 application.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=disclaimer

"Any binary software archive uploaded to OS4 Depot must contain atleast an executable compiled for or targeting AmigaOS4."

micro Amiga One/AmigaOS 4.1+ES
https://amiganews.exec.pl/
Go to top
Re: 68k application in OS4Depot? No!
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@SZAMAN

There is a select few 68k apps on os4depot, that has the intent of running them on os4. That doesn't mean that os4depot is about to become a repository for 68k apps, but I haven't been totally strict about it when the archive in question is an important one.

If enough people want it removed then I can remove it though.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@SZAMAN

Yeah, Slam the hard work of the only guys producing an office app at the moment just because it's the wrong "flavour" even though it works fine on OS4 and I think is the best spreadsheet program for the amiga. Great way to encourage them to keep developing.

I have no problem with 68k APPS (not games, demos etc.) being on OS4Depot as long as they are 100% OS4 friendly.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Totally agree. This program has great potential. Funny when I start it up nowhere do I get bells and whistles saying not "AOS4 PPC code"!!!!!

Further, if we ban that then shouldn't we consider not using any 68k code in AOS4? No need for Petunia then.

ace

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

"Who are you?"
"We are hot chicks!"

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I brought up the subject of 68k programs on os4depot elsewhere, but only because I don't want to see os4depot become a repositry for 68k software; otherwise why even bother having anything other than aminet in the first place?

Orgin has explained why ignition is on os4depot, and while i don't necessarily agree, i'm not that bothered by it and respect his decision.

My concern about 68k apps on os4depot doesn't mean I want to "slam" the developers of amiga software at all. I'm really glad Ignition is being developed at all.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Remove it. Aminet is where it should be :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

I see your point clearly but I think that idea behind OS4 Depot should stick to its guns. Otherwise there is not much sense in having seperate repositories (i.e. Aminet & OS4 Depot).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

I think the most important thing her is keep stuff that does work on OS4 separate from the stuff that does not, by the way I think some of the earlier demos for OS4 update 1 / 2 /3 does not work correctly any more on Final / July update.

I hope Crisot / Universe and Co. get time to update the old demos, fix some AHI audio DSI errors.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi@orgin
If enough people want it removed then I can remove it though.
Hmmm....
It says under the "OS4Depot - Your one stop for AmigaOS4 files" logo --
"This is a File Depot portal dedicated to hosting Amiga OS4 software and related resources"
So, it's a 'related source' then! It's OK by me...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think that the author of Ignition would be more than happy to make an OS4 native version (given that he says that's planned on his website). Hopefully he's got a PowerPC classic machine so that he can do this.

Hans

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
As said above. There's a few select 68k archives since before. Why the sudden fuss about this one? People don't like the author? Should I spend the next weeks, skipping christmas in the process, testing all archives to find those other 68k archives and remove them too?

To repeat:

OS4Depot is not going to become a 68k library though it may hold some select few applications that are of interest to OS4 users that happens to be 68k.

What do you think the author thinks about some of the comments made here and in the os4depot comments, and if I removed the archive. Will that either motivate the author to make a native build or just skip it all?

How dull would life be if everything was done to the precise letter of the word. We're all adults and neither of us wants to live in a totalitarian police state. Just relax and enjoy the season.

Edited by orgin on 2007/12/7 20:34:46
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

I personally think of OS4depot as a place where I can go and download programs for OS 4. Whether they are native or 68k doesn't really matter, as long as you know that things you download from OS4depot will simply work.

My personal ?0.02

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

I agree... but still a few selected important software should be there even if they are still 68k. Seing that lots of wb games from aminet works I don't want to see them at os4depot... unless it becomes a place for software that works on os4..

Still... I think that this topic is kinf of silly....... sorry but I do...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The news item on Amigaworld states that native PPC binaries are planned for the final release.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If there is an "_68k" extension in the name and it is a new
program or an updated program then i see no problems too.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@SZAMAN
Let it be.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@Rogue
but still a few selected important software should be there even if they are still 68k.

That's what he meant: It doesn't matter, really if they are 68k, the idea is that they do work, i.e. have been tested and are known to work on OS4

Go to top

Register To Post