Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Odyssey DSI's
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I get frequent DSI's when using Odyssey. Asking the machine (X1000) to ignore them works perhaps half the time, but just as often the machine dies immediately and I have to push the reset button and grow a couple minutes older before continuing with what I was doing. Sometimes I am treated to an ISI before total crash, giving me a chance to warm reboot.

I just remembered I had started to keep a diary of OWB crashes, so this is not new with Odyssey after all.

Is this common with (OWB/)Odyssey, or is there something wrong with my machine? I do get occasional DSI's with other programs, but not several times a day.

Go to top
Re: Odyssey DSI's
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

Me too, a lot of DSI related to "pthread" since the last version.

Nevertheless, it's always bypassable.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@zz & kilaueabart,

Same problems here (soft boot is needed when I get DSI).
I suspect Amiga and OWB doesn' like Javascripts of Utube/Facebook/Soundcloud/Twitter ??

Sam460ex
Os4.1 Final Edition
2GB Fast Memory
envy 24 HT sound card
HD R9 TRIX 280X 3GO GDDR5
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@pseudaxos & zzd10h

Thanks. It helps a lot to know I'm not the only one.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kilaueabart

A couple times I have had it run out of RAM after some exrended browsing. I get a very detailed requester saying that it can not cope with a failed allocation and it must close.. (X1000 with 2 of the 4 gig available to AmigaOS)

And just this evening I got a DSI when a facebook chat window played a short audio clip.. I noticed it was the "Odyssey Audio Player" or something like that.

And maybe I'm just old and paranoid, but I never ignore these things. If it is having troubles of any sort I will reset the machine before proceeding. But that's just me. :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LyleHaze

I can't get Odyssey to save its settings without crashing. So whenever I try to use it, I have to change fonts, window size, screen, all over again.

Very boring.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All
DSI in pthreads when stack trace have words about curl and ipv4 resolve, still mean that curl still borks even with joerg's changes. I have from time to time them too and do not know how to fix it. Probably some safeguards should be added somewhere, dunno. I can upload anywhere curl code with joerg's changes, and anyone can check amigaos4 ifdefs and see if he can come up with idea what can be done.

@Tonyw
That welknown bug in the mui4r3 , download and install latest nightly of mui4 from muidev.de. Lately, when Thore will release r4, i will add a minimum check on newer version of mui4 into odyssey, but currently just dl curent nightly of mui4.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

From time to time i had some pthreads crashes aswell but i don't know how to reproduce them, however the majority of my problems are not related to this, but that:

MediaPlayer
http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=893

Crash in iconified state
http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=880

But also some good news from me, most of my old reported bugs can be closed now (no more in latest 1.23), if you time i can told you in detail

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

"I can't get Odyssey to save its settings without crashing. So whenever I try to use it, I have to change fonts, window size, screen, all over again."

Odyssey has settings?? :)
I guess I'm just way too basic for all that fancy stuff.

In 99% of the cases I run programs the way it installed.
If I can't trust the programmer to choose the best defaults, then who CAN I trust?

:) :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LyleHaze

My, my! What happened to that cynicism I saw last year?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

download and install latest nightly of mui4 from muidev.de.

Take care, anyone who follows that advice. I downloaded MUI-4.0-20140620r3598-os4.lha and installed it, only to render my X-1000 unbootable. I managed to prove that it was something in the Libs/ directory, but without making a backup first (silly me), it has taken me all frigging day to rebuild my system and get it back up to date.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tony
Probably something went wrong when you update it. I usually update to latest mui beta few times in a week or so, and i do it by simple unpacking archive and copy all content over my system:mui directory.

And as far as i can see, mui do not use any libs which can make system unbootable. Maybe just installer broken and you use installer instead of manual copy ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Not sure, but in MUI:Libs/ they are 3 "extra" libs (btree, bzip2 and z) maybe one of those made tonyw's system unstable, just try to replace (if you have older versions) with the ones you have in Libs: (backup first the older ones, just in case...)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@javier
I have no probs for myself to update mui :) as i say i just copy whole content of the archive over my system mui dir, and everything works all the time . I.e. i just unpack mui archive, and do copy whole MUI dir on top of my system:MUI, that also copy all the libs and stuff where need it (and didn't where it didn't need it). I didn't copy anything else to anywhere, all the libs for me are in mui dir, not in system libs. Maybe installer broken, dunno. Someone need to check and make a BZ on muidev.de if have problems with. For me everything works fine all the time with way i update it (i.e. manual copy)

@Tony
Will be better if you will create a ticket on muidev.de if you have problems with and Thore for sure will fix it (if there anything to fix). Because if you will not make BZ about , probably no one else will make that BZ, and installer will be broken all the time (if it indeed installer's fault).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I copied it directly after unpacking, so no installer was involved. However, I am no longer sure that I "just" copied everything or copied "newer" only.

When I was trying to get it all working again, I noticed that z.library was an old version (V53.1 in the archive), but replacing it didn't fix it. The current version is V53.6.

Since I need the machine for development work, I didn't really spend time trying to find out why. I reinstalled from scratch, copied over an old backup, then used AmiUpdate to get back up to date.

Go to top

Register To Post