Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Getting Odyssey set up
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A couple people told me I should quit using mui-owb and use Odyssey instead, so I installed it. And I was totally astonished and baffled to find that it opened with my muiowb home page! How did it know? But the accompanying readme doesn't answer that or some of the other questions I have.

The Odyssey/ drawer has in addition to an Odyssey icon something called OdysseyLauncher. Sure enough, clicking on it launches Odyssey, but so does clicking on the Odyssey icon. What's the point?

The readme says one can use bookmarks from IBrowse. It's been a few years since I added bookmarks to IBrowse, so I was hoping I could use something newer.

For Timberwolf, I use "Open file" on my muiowb bookmarks, which works well as a substitute for actually having a bookmarks file set up. (My SAM installation had proper bookmarks, but so far no luck on the X1000.) The first time I tried that with Odyssey, it didn't work -- I got a blank page titled "Bookmarks." I just tried it again, and it works now, but I'd rather get the real bookmarks menu item working.

So I went back to the IBrowse method. After considerable searching I finally found my IBrowse bookmarks in ibrowse-hotlist.html, copied it into my Odyssey drawer and changed the name to "bookmarks.html," trusting the readme promise:

"Odyssey can import IBrowse bookmarks. Just copy it to Odyssey directory as bookmarks.html. If you wish to make an entry appear in fastlinks or pulldown menu, just check the relevant option in bookmark editor."

Maybe I was expecting too much, but it looks like I have to add the bookmarks one at a time after all after getting the website that I want to bookmark via the method I use on Timberwolf. Or am I missing something?

Go to top
Re: Getting Odyssey set up
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

I tested this here and importing from IBrowse worked as described.

Only thing you should take care: make the changes (copying renaming hotlist when Odyssey not running.

If it is running it will overwrite the imported list

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
A couple people told me I should quit using mui-owb and use Odyssey instead, so I installed it. And I was totally astonished and baffled to find that it opened with my muiowb home page! How did it know? But the accompanying readme doesn't answer that or some of the other questions I have.

Its the same program, only newer version.

Quote:
The Odyssey/ drawer has in addition to an Odyssey icon something called OdysseyLauncher. Sure enough, clicking on it launches Odyssey, but so does clicking on the Odyssey icon. What's the point?

Program used to start slowly, but last one does not, so this was so where able to see that something was going on.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... people told me I should ... use Odyssey ..., so I installed it. And I was totally astonished and baffled to find that it opened with my muiowb home page! How did it know? ...

Its the same program, only newer version.

But it is in a different drawer. How did it come up with "http://www.staradvertiser.com/" in Settings > General > Start Page:?

I find that site referenced in Internet:Odyssey/Conf/LocalStorage, but no hint as to how it got there.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

It's not uncommon for Amiga programs to save its settings in ENVARC: so I guess they find the settings outside the folder. New programs might find its settings by the using APPDIR:, but they should not depend on it.

If does look in APPDIR: then I guess that's a bug, it should be look for new program name not the old program name.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post