Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Radeon R7 250
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I bought an R250 for cheap and thought - if it does not work, it is no big deal.

So, specifically, it is: R7 250A ZL / R7 250A - ZLF V2.1.

Here is the link

I do see "volcanic islands" there, but I also see that the 250 is supported on other Amiga websites.

I first tried to simply swap out my original 4650 with this 250. Booted into workbench and then everything freezes.

I then inserted the 4.1FE CD and it just freezes before booting into WB. The same for the First Contact CD.

Then, I re-inserted the 4650 and here I am writing this thread.

As I say, it is no big loss. I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Go to top
Re: Radeon R7 250
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
As far as I know, only the SouthIsland chipset is supported for RadeonHD for real.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
Hey, thanks for the information. Potentially saving some money there. So, if I wanted a 250 I would have to ensure that it used "South Island".

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324
Yes, the list is big enough of SI.

But also to note: X1000 CFE (bios for x1000) do not support Radeon RX. Will it ever be changed or not - no one knows. So, x1000 users stuck with the RadeonHD for the time being. And that means, that if you want to spend money on the better card, better grab the best one. Something like 290x maybe or so.

I for myself on x5000 have some minimalistic "RadeonHD 250 Verde mobile chipset", and it is fine enough already, very silent, has no need for additional power, but after RadeonRX drivers start to be mature enough i stop using it mostly (only for tests) as Radeon RX just faster and accustomed to better speed will be kind of suck to swap back.

So, if go for the RadeonHD route take the best one. At least in all the gl4es stuff we port, it will make sense for sure.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The R7250 cards are either Oland or Verde chipsets so supported by the RadeonHD driver.
Oland chipset supported from RadeonHD Driver 2.19 .

There may be a Workbench Freezing on boot issue with Driver versions 3.x and above if Composite setting in GUI preferences Effects setting are enabled.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Spectre660

> There may be a Workbench Freezing on boot issue with Driver versions 3.x and above if Composite setting in GUI preferences Effects setting are enabled.

Is there a fix for this aside from turning composite off??

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Spectre660

Okay, so maybe I will try with that version of the RadeonHD.chip instead.

- I bought the enhancer software V2, do I have access to that version?
- If I downgrade to 2.19, what features am I losing from 3.7?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:

- If I downgrade to 2.19, what features am I losing from 3.7?

There 2 major ones: some weird freezes/crashes with some cards were fixed in and only in 3.7 were fixed issue with the freeze on x5000 (only?) when GFX GPU memory fills past 256MB.

Maybe on x1000 those both bugs didn't happens so safe to try

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think the best solution is to find a 290X as @kas1e said.

But, I'll post the candidate on here before I buy it so that you guys can check it.

Will update this thread in due course and continue using my 4650 for now.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Tried v2 downgrade and/or compositor turned off to try and make my R7 250 based card work (Dell 8570 card) but no joy. Still locks up machine after boot.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

The RadeonHD.chip driver that is supplied on the OS4.1 CD is a demo "Lite" version. It is limited to 1024x768, no compositing and does not support Southern Islands or any RadeonHD later.

You should make sure you install the Enhancer Software RadeonHD which is the full version.

Thanks

Go to top

Register To Post