Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
218 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Lio, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Need a KVM-switch-with-OS4 advice
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

If this was covered b4, plz point me to the correct thread.

If not:
Are there any issues I should be aware when getting an KVM switch for use with A1 and PC? (UBoot support? powered vs non-powered? other considerations?)
Mouse and kbd are ps2 ones.
PC runs Linux btw.

TIA,
Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/4/15 11:55:17
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: Need a KVM-switch-with-OS4 advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Glad your planning already with your A1 again, hope to have you
back at full speed soon

@thread

Dunno if it matters at all, the hardware should be compatible.
Nothing special at the UBoot resolution either and PS2 is
plain peecee PS2, so i think every KVM should do!?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

I'm using a USB KVM from Belkin with a port for Audio (little round "box/switch")...
Then my KB and Mouse are USB Wireless connect to the KVM. It works like a charm... Though I currently have other problem with my A1XE... But tha't another story !

Jerry

Defender of my A1XE-G4 / AOS4 Final Update !
Looking for a new toy ? Then try a GP2X...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Glad your planning already with your A1 again, hope to have you
back at full speed soon

Tired of waiting and idleness, checking options

@AmiGame
Quote:

I'm using a USB KVM from Belkin with a port for Audio (little round "box/switch")...
Then my KB and Mouse are USB Wireless connect to the KVM. It works like a charm...

Thanx for the info. Will see if they cell it here.

Quote:

Though I currently have other problem with my A1XE...

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/4/15 17:48:13
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

I've just ordered one of these these and they also do a ps2 version, I should get it tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll let you know how it goes...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

Quote:

Severin wrote:
@Jack

I've just ordered one of these these and they also do a ps2 version, I should get it tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll let you know how it goes...

Judging by some of the reviews it a tad temperamental

OT.. thanks Severin for the info for the Monitor, didn't get it in the end, wouldn't fit in its cubby hole so got a Samsung SyncMaster 932B (19") in stead, like you said just worked straight out of the box
Yes I did tweak the settings later

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Jack
I use a powered KVM now. I've also used unpowered ones. A power supply should be easy to find once you know the requirements of the KVM.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Jack
I use a powered KVM now. I've also used unpowered ones. A power supply should be easy to find once you know the requirements of the KVM.

Any significant differences between powered/unpowered?(from my experience, some are sold without the ac/dc adapter although they have a dc input, and actually work without the power, but I had no opportunity to test them with A1)

Thanks,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AJS

I'll have to put up with it, it's all I can afford

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

I have the PS2 version of this and it works great with my A1 and classic.

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Curty

Quote:

Curty wrote:
@Severin

I have the PS2 version of this and it works great with my A1 and classic.

Which keyboard do you use with your classic? PC keyboard? (Afaiu, a4000 keyboard won't work with kvm. my a1200 has a4000 kbd).

Thanks
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

I use this one:
http://www.trendnet.com/products/TK-400K.htm

It's a 4-way. I use it for my Micro-AOne, my Win98 Machine, and 2 open slots for working on friends machines.

It's all PS2, no USB or Audio switching support. The only "issue" is that it uses the scroll-Lock key for switching from the keyboard, so you need to change a UBoot setting to move the Amiga "Help" key to somewhere else.

It's cheap, works great, and includes 4 sets of cables.

Good Luck,
LyleHaze

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Curty & Jack

Ok.... I received the kVM (F1DK102U) about 30 minutes ago and it instantly suffered from the problems that where reported on amazon. but after a quick (5 min) phone call to belkin they are sending me a pre-paid returns label, and replacing it with a 'newer' model (F1DF102U) that fixes the problem...

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

I have a D-Link KVM (not here, and I can't remember the model, sorry) to which a CRT monitor, a PS2 keyboard and an USB mouse are connected.
I have no problems whatsoever on the A1 (G4-XE) side, whereas the Wintel machine does have a problem with it as it requires an explicit switching before it detects the mouse (the Wintel machine is on the second "channel").

saimo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

Wintel machine does have a problem with it as it requires an explicit switching before it detects the mouse (the Wintel machine is on the second "channel").

What's the "explicit switchng"?

@saimo, @severin, @LyleHaze,@Curty, @ssolie, @AmiGame:

Thanks for the info.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

I mean, when I turn the Wintel box on and it is the one that gets the input/output (i.e. the A1 is off), Windows does not detect the mouse, so I must manually press the KVM switch (or the relative keyboard shortcut) to get the dumb OS to recognize the device (what happens is that the switch tries to redirect the I/O to the other machine, but, finding none, returns to the Wintel one). TBH, I haven't tried the A1 on the same channel, but I just cannot bother

BTW: the KVM model is D-Link DKVM-2KH.

saimo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@Jack

Quote:

I mean, when I turn the Wintel box on and it is the one that gets the input/output (i.e. the A1 is off), Windows does not detect the mouse, so I must manually press the KVM switch (or the relative keyboard shortcut) to get the dumb OS to recognize the device

Do you mean here that you invoke some kind of "mouse reset/resync" function?

Quote:

(what happens is that the switch tries to redirect the I/O to the other machine, but, finding none, returns to the Wintel one)./quote]

Lost me here

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Lost me here

The switch has a selector button(*): when pressed, the switch redirects the I/O to the other "channel" - f.ex., if currently keyboard, mouse and monitor are used by the A1 on channel 1, pressing the button puts channel 2 in use, i.e. keyboard, mouse and monitor are redirected to the Wintel box. Roughly, these are the steps performed by the switch when the button is pressed:
1. "detach" the devices from the current channel
2. try to "attach" the devices to the other channel
3. if step 2 fails, "re-attach" devices to the original channel
For some unknown reason, Windows is not able to detect the USB mouse if the machine gets turned on when its channel is *already* the current one; so, the solution, is switching manually by pressing the selector button(*).

(*)The switch also accepts a keyboard combo for a selector button press: my combo is SCROLL-LOCK + SCROLL-LOCK + F1/F2 for channel 1/2, respectively.

It's a very simple thing, but I can't seem to produce a brief and clear description. Sorry.

saimo

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Jack
Buy a KVM with the option to power it would be my advice. I know some people have had luck with unpowered KVMs as well but that is really just luck. Some work and some don't and it may even depend on what hardware you use with the KVM since it is sucking power from ports not really designed to allow it.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

For some unknown reason, Windows is not able to detect the USB mouse if the machine gets turned on when its channel is *already* the current one; so, the solution, is switching manually by pressing the selector button(*).

Hmm. I would understand that mouse wouldn't be recognized when the PC is turned on while other chanel is active in KVM. Here's the opposite. Anyway, I'll be using ps2 KVM (most probably).
Thanks for explaining the stuation.

Meanwhile I checked the available options and 4-port ones cost 75-100Euros here, more expensive than I expected them to be. I'm thinking about ones made by Aten and I'll wait and see if anyone has experience with them here. Now the missing piece is fixed cpu module. Back to waiting...

Lot of thanks,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »