Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: SAM440ep completed?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
Is it possible to use Sam440ep as a laptop mobo ? I think it's small enough !?

The laptop would look kinda funny I think! SAM is small, but it's not really the right form-factor for a laptop. But you can always try to make a wooden box around it with a small integrated keyboard and display. However, I am not too sure if you can impress business-men with it!

Let's not build castles in the sky and just hope that OS4 has a future on SAM440.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

Quote:

jahc wrote:
Anyway, well done ACube. I hope I can get my hands on one of these babys soon. :)

It's been nearly 3 months now and still no SAM440 in the shops!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

Do you still have an A1?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helge

Quote:

Helge wrote:
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
Is it possible to use Sam440ep as a laptop mobo ? I think it's small enough !?

The laptop would look kinda funny I think! SAM is small, but it's not really the right form-factor for a laptop. But you can always try to make a wooden box around it with a small integrated keyboard and display. However, I am not too sure if you can impress business-men with it!

Let's not build castles in the sky and just hope that OS4 has a future on SAM440.

I'd suggest using aluminium, or some other material, so that it's thinner. With the right tools, an ok Sam440ep laptop could be made. It's small enough and thin enough. And it can have a mini-PCI slot fow a wireless card.

One trick that laptop manufacturers use to make the laptop look thinner than it really is, is to put it on tallish rubber feet (say 5-7 mm) and then have a lowered section on the underside of the laptop that's lower than the rest. That way it looks really thin on the sides, but they still have enough room to cram everything in.

As a side-note, one of the court documents has a transcript in which Bill McEwan talks about cooperating with UDTech (I think it's UDTech) to create a cheap mini-laptop.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
As a side-note, one of the court documents has a transcript in which Bill McEwan talks about cooperating with UDTech (I think it's UDTech) to create a cheap mini-laptop.

Yes, you said it : talks... Talks, means nothing in business, especially when it comes from AInc. (remember Corel Talks, Matrox Talks... ?)
BTW, you just had a talk with Helge to create an aluminium laptop

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob

No.
Because of unemployment, I had to sell it to a former collegue for 5000 SEK. Now it's been long enough time without OS4 and my fingers are trembling and I am longing to put my hands on it again. I have a new job and moneys to spend!
At least I still have my Classic Amiga, so I am waiting for Rogue and ACube to release OS4 for it.

July sounds like a good month for it, what do you think?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

abalaban wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

LOL, very true. I think this laptop talks is unrealistic. You can better talk about castles in the sky.
We don't even have OS4 on SAM, so why must we talk about something even more unrealistic like a SAM laptop with OS4?
Better solve the basic problems first!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Helge

> Because of unemployment, I had to sell it to a former
> collegue for 5000 SEK.

What - and you never thought to include a buyback clause for when you had more money at a later date

Bill.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

I was at Pianeta Amiga 2006 and and they told me that on request it would be possible to produce a version if the motherboard in 7x7 cm...so the answer is.. it isn't impossible...

P.S. first post here!!!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Richi

Welcome Richi, hope you'll enjoy your stay

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helge

Quote:

Helge wrote:
@abalaban

abalaban wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

LOL, very true. I think this laptop talks is unrealistic. You can better talk about castles in the sky.
We don't even have OS4 on SAM, so why must we talk about something even more unrealistic like a SAM laptop with OS4?
Better solve the basic problems first!

Ignoring OS4, I think that building your own laptop with a SAM board is realistic. It's not going to look like a laptop that you buy from the store, and it won't be cheap, but, provided you have the skills, it'perfectly feasible. I personally don't have the time or money, but that doesn't mean that it's unrealistic.

What I think would be unrealistic would be to expect someone to build and sell SAM based laptops.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

What I think would be unrealistic would be to expect someone to build and sell SAM based laptops.
Hans

Manufacturing will be too pricey for someone to make money from production of these. And to make a feasible laptop with OS4 there will involve be things like software support for battery and power-saving mode for HD.
If you want to run Linux on it, the same thing apply (there is support form HD power-saving mode, but the battery will be still an issue).

Instead of laptop, maybe a500-a600-a1200 style all-in-keyboard thingie?
With flash-based storage, slim cdrom. Maybe even with attached LCD screen. Portable system but not a laptop.

But first: let it hit the shelves, with OS4 bundled...

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Helge

[Do you Have an A1?]

No.
Because of unemployment, I had to sell it to a former collegue for 5000 SEK.
Now it's been long enough time without OS4...

Wow, that's a shame. My A1 turned 4 years old this May. Thinking about the ACube Module upgrade.
Maybe I should save my money for a SAM440.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)