Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
Re: How interested in the PS3 for OS4 are you?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Sister_Rita

The companies ethics aren't the worst. The worst thing happening to this planet is that the humans came. We think we are smart,nice etc. But we're not at all. Sad but true,

@all

Not interested in os4 on ps3.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
For those who are interested here's a good summary of the European launch:

NeoGAF

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Helge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE
<-quote
Microsoft has stated that the "CE" is not an intentional initialism,
but many people believe CE stands for "Consumer Electronics" or
"Compact Edition"; users often disparagingly called it "Wince." Microsoft
says it implies a number of Windows CE design precepts, including "Compact,
Connectable, Compatible, Companion, and Efficient."[1] The first version,
known during development under the codename "Pegasus", featured a Windows-like
GUI and a number of Microsoft's popular applications, all trimmed down for smaller
storage, memory, and speed of the palmtops of the day.

Topic:
I'm not a user of any PS system. No, I'm not interested in OS4 in a game station.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello fellow crusader, MikeB,

Here's how I see it.

If I had a billion dollars, I would call Sony and order JUST the PS3 motherboards. However, I would need a slight modification.

The motherboard would have to have a G5 (2 core PA-Semi, 2.6 GHz) as the MAIN CPU and the Cell would be a co-processor slave chip. Also, at least 4 PCI (2 standard, and two of whatever is the next gen slot) and then also 8 ram sockets for up to 16 GB of ram.

THEN it WOULD be an AMIGA! (next gen).

THIS would be an Amiga for upto 4 years time!

I suppose a quad core in 2 years would work out pretty good, though.

Sony wouldn't care that it could play PS3 games, and AOS4.x couldn't be pirated to work on PS3s.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

That site doesn't mention that the PS2 compatability will be cripled in the European Version due to sony removing the PS2 Emotion Engine from the board. I know its got nothing to do with OS4 but its an important factor to mention for European consumers to consider when comtemplating a PS3 purchase.

That one reason I won't be jumping on the PS3 wagon yet.

Another reason Europe seems to be the place where sony can take the 'mick' with prices. A quick google and putting the numbers into xe.com shows it ?50-?80 cheaper in the US for the 60GB version than the GB launch price.

As for OS4 I'd love to see it on the PS3, but it gotta be crash proof and the reaper would need replacing with something more consumer friendly. Ditch Backwards compatibility and run all legacy apps through a integrated UAE sandbox.
If OS4 goes in sale in supermarkets, you might have a hard time convinsing Dave from down the road the grimreaper is a good thing. 5 reboots of his console and hes taking OS4 back to the store for a refund.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Just to answer the question of the topic:

Not at all

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jurassicc

Actually the posting says:

"(we do however have to suffer being the first customers who get a PS3 without the PS2 chipset though making our PS2 BC a bit shaky from day one, more in this thread)."

How good software emulation will be compared to hardware emulation is still unknown, but we know it will be less backwards compatible at least in the beginning.

I agree it's an important factor to many.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helge

Quote:
I don't think most of them are interested in compiling their kernal and others Linux-stuffs.

You don't have to compile kernel in modern Linux distribution. I'm UNIX power-used and didn't do that for my desktop or laptop since, like 4 years. I could, but there's no reason.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MikeB

Way I think it?s a good Idea:

1) I think support the next generation of PowerPC is important in it self, and the Cell is a next generation PowerPC.

2) Get AmigaOS4 out to the public is important for it to be successful.

3) AmigaOS is designed for consuls from the where beginning, scale it down to the minimum and you have all you need to start a game, no need for full scale desktop.

4) AmigaOS is easier to use then Linux, think it might gain popularity once again.

5) We do not have the capacity to support all chipsets out there supporting one mass-produced game consol is easier.

Potential road blocks:

1) AmigaOS4 do not support Asian languages, Sony is Japanese company, this going to be where hard to capture Sony?s interest.

2) Sony already have game console operating system, they do not need ExecSG, driver support might be limited to the Sony hardware abstraction layer.

3) Sony might think Linux is has more potensial because of GPL foo, might for that reason have where little interest in supporting AmigaOS.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/2/26 17:21:54
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Some good points, but Linux support doesn't really come much from Sony with regard to the PS3, mainly just 'Other OS' support. Linux support for the PS3 comes mainly from companies like Terra Soft and IBM.

Also Sony is an international company with hundreds of offices and headquarters around the world.

Edited by MikeB on 2007/2/26 17:13:33
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Very interested. Running 3.9 through E-UAE on the PS3 is all well and fine, but using OS4 natively would be even better.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Valiant

Quote:
Running 3.9 through E-UAE on the PS3 is all well and fine

No it is not because you do not have any JIT support, it might do for playing your A500/A1200 games but that?s all, WinUAE is the best optimized Amiga emulator right now.

Quote:
but using OS4 natively would be even better.

OS4 native can possible take advantage of CELL and PS3 hardware in ways an Amiga emulator can not.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/2/26 18:05:07
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MikeB

I'm not, I will never buy a PS(anything).

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

You do not really need to, we need new blood and the PS3 is way to go get new blood. Kids of to day how we do not see as Amiga fans or users, but might become if they can buy some cool game running on AmigaOS.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/2/26 18:42:03
Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/2/26 18:44:07
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Today my company Fun Computing has finalized a deal with Sony, more about this in the future.

With regard to my question opinions seem to be very mixed, Samantha surely seems like a great effort with potential for the embedded market.

Hopefully various OS4 solutions will soon exist next to each other, I think current AmigaOne and future Samantha, etc users will benefit indirectly if and when AmigaOs4 becomes available for the PS3. At least there are many people who are interested in AmigaOS4, yet don't want to buy a fully dedicated AmigaOS4 solution which cannot be used for more mainstream software and uses as well. A larger userbase, more software developers and more profits for Amiga related companies I think could be good for any AmigaOS4 enthusiast.

Hyperion seems to view AmigaOS4's main potential within the embedded market, and I think the PS3 could serve as a low entry Cell development platform. Cell processors are aimed for usage in many embedded settings in the near future.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Interesting, now if you could just finalize a deal with Amiga, Hyperion or whoever owns OS4 atm. I would find it VERY interesting.

I hope ownership is settled soon, we need to move on no matter who ends up as the rightful owner.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Great news. Now you only need to help Hyperion and Amiga Inc to make a deal with OS4 for the PS3! I can't think of a reason why they can be against it. It's an opportunity not to be missed.
If you have more information or contacted Hyperion, please let us know.
The Frieden brothers are very silent these days, maybe they are already working hard on the port to PS3?

Quote:
With regard to my question opinions seem to be very mixed, Samantha surely seems like a great effort with potential for the embedded market.

The mixed responses are very normal I think. Don't let them discourage you. When the other hardware was announced, there were also many negative peoples. But I think everybody will buy it when it appears in the stores. We don't have many choice, so Amiga-users will be open for everything.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Keeping in mind that I have no money right now, if what has been brought up against Sony so far is the best they can do (I really cannot be disappointed when a non-Christian company based in a non-Christian nation, looking only at the bottom line, puts out a movie that promotes bad theology, but I can be offended by a company based in a nation that has laws against bigoted behavior by corporate entities that nevertheless exhibits bigoted behavior, such as HP), I really cannot sustain an objection against Sony hardware.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not sure if I would want to buy a PS3 just for the sake of OS4. OS4 is unlikely to profit from the PS3, as the PS3 is an extremely controlled and hostile environment, like everything coming from Sony. Access to the more interesting parts of the hardware (besides the Cell) may turn out to be limited, if not nonexistent.

I doubt that there will a big future for Cell outside the PS3, and I've come to this conclusion after I visited seminars where IBM revealed its haphazardness and lack of ideas when it comes to selling it to a mainstream development scene. It may end as the average "yet another processor for settop boxes", but no sooner than its price dropped to a tenth or twentieth of what it is now. If things don't improve in this regard, the Cell will equally fail to support the future growth of the platform.

My affinity towards gaming and home theatre is close to zero, as I regard consoles basically as cash desks, so the PS3 part is of no excuse for me either, and I'm saying this in the light of doing active Playstation 2 development for recreational purposes (see http://ps2.neoscientists.org/ for details). First things first, let's first get Amiga Inc. out of the picture, and then we are free to decide which platforms may offer a fruitful environment for the advance of the Amiga.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Our Kuwaiti student brought a brand new PS3 with him and it packed up within 2 days. Maybe it has same cooling probs as A1 so no interest at the moment

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »