Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 44

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
AmigaOne 500 audio is slow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. I am a new and extremely excited owner of a brand new AmigaOne 500 system. The audio playback on my brand new AmigaOne 500 is slow. I have a suspicion that I have something configured wrong since I can't seem to find anyone else posting about this anywhere. I have installed what I believe to be the latest SM502 driver from os4depot (6.3) and the mixer program. (1.32) The clicking and popping has stopped but the audio is noticeably slower than it should be and in the headphones I can hear a lot of digital alias noise, like it sounds like it's playing something at the wrong sampling frequency. Is this a known problem and does anyone know the remedy?

Thanks,
Jamie

Go to top
Re: AmigaOne 500 audio is slow
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Did you check your AHI Prefs to see if frequency is not too low ?

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The frequency slider on the Music unit and units 0-3 are all ghosted out at 48kHz.

I will add that I removed all extraneous drivers (Made an AHI folder under "Storage") except for filesave.audio and sm502.audio. That didn't change anything though.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
The frequency slider should not be ghosted, so something is definitely wrong.But I don't have a Sam460, so someone else would be better suited to saying what you should be seeing...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Anonymous
Must be up to AHI prefs

Its best to write to OS support forum, don`t have an SAM 460 to try leaving bug report
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewforum.php?f=17

Meanwhile, please ensure you did step by step install

SM502 Audio driver, written by Ross Vumbaca

This is a release version of the SM502 audio driver for the SAM460.

Installation
=======
1. Unpack the archive
2. Copy Devs/AHI/sm502.audio to Devs:AHI
3. Copy Devs/AudioModes/SM502 to Devs:AudioModes
4. Execute the Prefs/AHI tool.
5. In AHI Preferences, select "SM502" for the "Music Unit"
6. Set the "Volume" slider on the right to "+0.5dB".
7. Select "Unit 0" on the left, and select "SM502" from the list.
8. Set the "Channels" slider on the right to "32"
9. Set the "Volume" slider on the right to "+0.5dB".

10. Click "Play a test sound" to confirm audio function, and click "Save".

If you hear no audio, ensure that your speakers are connected correctly and click "Save" anyway.

If you are replacing an older version of the driver, you must reboot your Amiga after installing the new version.

Please read the limitations below to ensure you understand the known issues with the driver.

Limitations
=======

- The driver supports audio playback only, it does not support recording.
- The on-board SAM460 SATA driver does not appear to support DMA.If you use the audio driver while simultaneously undertaking very heavydisk activity with the on-board SAM460 SATA, the audio may pause due to high CPU usage.

- If you experience problems, but you believe that all is setup correctly, please capture a serial log from your SAM460 and send it to me.

Installing and unistalling AHI under OS 4.1 isn`t recommended, so please leave a message and wait for exponation

Just in case, Here is the clean AHI USR
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... ile=audio/misc/ahiusr.lha

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I guess this is a problem with software drivers for AmigaOne 500 audio device or even the AHI on AmigaOS 4.x itself.

For example I've got a problem with audio programs on Amiga 1200 with BlizzardPPC board, those ones which were using high-level AHI routines all played slow and noisy, that's why I wrote player program Diamond Player.

Have you tried DiamPlay on your AmigaOne 500? Is it also replaying MODs or MED modules slowly and with low playback quality?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I removed the driver completely, and saved AHI prefs with filesave as the default. Powered off and back on, then reinstalled the driver and went through the steps again and now it is normal speed but the terrible crackling noise is back.

The startup sound exhibited these problems, Tunenet playing streaming radio, mp3s and mods exhibited these problems and OctaMED Sound Studio exhibited these problems.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I noticed that there exists a driver in OS4 for Envy24. Would This card work in the PCI-E slot?

Thanks,
Jamie

Go to top
Anonymous

Theoretically yes, but no one has so far tried PCI-E x1 card with SAM 460 or X1000.

Envy 24 driver sais
OS4 native AHI driver for Terratec Aureon Sky and Space, Phase22 and 28,
M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7.1 and ESI Juli(). Please always use the HiFi stereo++
modes.

So please check is it really one of these chips.

If it does work you have found a great solution - major screw up with SAM 460 are useless integrated SATA connector for 1 device and slow, useless integrated gfx slower then Voodo 2 and strange choice of Cirrus Logic (?) onboard sound, while SATA connector pushes PCI slot to be used for SATA2 card instead of sound card or Radeon 9250.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It's not an expensive investment so I purchased it. I will report on how it works when it arrives (Probably this coming weekend)

Go to top
Anonymous
Quote:
It's not an expensive investment so I purchased it. I will report on how it works when it arrives (Probably this coming weekend)

Thanks for willingness to risk so we all know is it a solution.

You could submit it to this old base
http://www.intuitionbase.com/comphard.php

The idea of improved database is here
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=862
but no one seems to care much about it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
UPDATE: When I installed the card, I changed the jumper and the setting in UBoot to PCI-E from the original SATA setting. The machine did not complain and went straight into workbench. I first tried the "Envy24" drivers which did not show up in AHI after a reboot. I then changed to the Envy24HT drivers and then rebooted again. Now when the machine started loading workbench, the screen stayed white, and the pointer was a clock. It showed all of the WB startup items across the bar in the middle and stopped at loading all of them. It happened to land on the "Sam460EX hack" and tell me that it didn't respond yet and should I wait. I cancelled this and went into no-startup-sequence mode to remove the drive and go back into WB and remove that WB startup item as well as Wet and OS4Reboot (another utility). I put the Envy24HT drivers back and rebooted. The same thing happened again. White screen. When it's in this mode, it does not load any programs or anything. I have the amount of running tasks listed at the top in my WB title bar and when in this mode I try to run a program it shows one additional task and then promptly locks up. Otherwise I am free to move the mouse and open drawers as I please.

So in conclusion, I would say that the driver *tries* to talk to the card but ends up making WB unusable. I have not heard a peep out of the card either (except the popping noise when I power the machine on or off)

It might be a workable solution with a tweak to the driver but I do not know where the driver came from. (or who it came from)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

graffias79 wrote:
I removed the driver completely, and saved AHI prefs with filesave as the default. Powered off and back on, then reinstalled the driver and went through the steps again and now it is normal speed but the terrible crackling noise is back.

The startup sound exhibited these problems, Tunenet playing streaming radio, mp3s and mods exhibited these problems and OctaMED Sound Studio exhibited these problems.

Are you sure that you installed the latest driver? The old drivers had trouble with crackling, but not the latest ones.

Sound is smooth on my Sam460. I have no idea why you're having so much trouble with audio, so I can't think of anything for you to try.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am using the driver from OS4 Depot and according to the information panel in the AHI prefs, the driver version is "sm502.audio 6.3 (12.05.12)". I was looking through the release notes for this driver and it said that the playing speed was fixed and the crackling was fixed. I have experienced both of these things with this driver. I continue looking for a solution.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Everyone,

I too have an A1-500 and using the latest driver for the SM502 onboard sound. First, there is only one option in AHI for the mode selection which is SM502:HiFi 16 bit stereo++. Second, the audio sounds like it is coming out of a classic Amiga 500 with no filter on. From time to time I have to soft reboot the machine to get the sound to act right at all, and it crackles when playing back mods sometimes.

I know we will get this driver completed in the future, but in the meantime, it is a little bit annoying with the sound not being stable.

Yogi

Go to top
Anonymous
Hmmm ... maybe reporting this to author AND Hyperion forum would help fixing the driver, and there will be a solution for all SAM users
Envy24 is nice sound card, suppose its way better then onboard one.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Works fine here with no crackling or need to re-boot like the older version needed! Are you sure you have all your settings correct as in the readme?

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Here are the settings I have in AHI. I used Sgrab to capture the screens for "Music Unit" and "Unit 0". To the best of my knowledge, these are what the instructions tell me to set everything to:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Is there something that I am not doing? I can take other screen captures if necessary.

Also I have registered at Hyperion's forums but I am awaiting approval.

Go to top
Anonymous
These are onboard audio settings. Envy 24 card is not seen at all?
If its up to driver, this is your man
Author: Davy Wentzler
Submitter: Davy Wentzler
Email: info/audio-evolution com

Nobody before tried PCI-E cards on SAM 460, some uboot settings might be need, Acube should be contacted.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
That is correct. I went back to the onboard sound because as I posted above, when I use the plain "Envy24" driver nothing happens. The driver does not appear in AHI even when it has been copied to the devs/AHI and devs/audiomode directories. When I copy the Envy24HT driver to those directories and the card is inserted I am greeted with a Workbench that does not load completely. It will lock up if I try to launch any more tasks as well. The card I have calls itself "Envy24DT" which looks like a lower-end chip than the Envy24HT. I was hoping that it would work but apparently it does not. I only wonder if it is an easy tweak to make the driver interact with the "DT" chip. As for now, I go back to trying to get the onboard sound into a usable state.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »