Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
USB PCI cards
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I got an USB card with a VIA VT6212L chip on it. I plugged it in my AmigaOne XE (OS4.1 Update 2) and it gets recognized by the USBInspector, showing up as "Front Roothub (uhci.usbhcd/1" and "Read Roothub (uhci.usbhcd/0)"
For the purpose of testing I "turned off" the front and rear USB ports on the A1 by disabling them in the UBoot prefs editor, so I am sure it is the PCI card showing in the USBInspector.

However no device I connect there shows up or works; be it mice, USB pens or HD.

Is it the Chip not being supported? If this is the case, any chance it will work with Update 3 or supported in future?

If not, well ok, could someone please tell me which card I could use?
I made a search here and on intuitionbase but could not find any information.

Thanks!

Go to top
Re: USB PCI cards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Not sure, but i think external PCI USB cards needs EHCI driver (kickstart-module). Or is EHCI just for USB 2.0?!?!? ¿

IIRC it's part of upd3

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
mmh.. good to know.

but isn't OHCI the lower level part which should be supporting at least USB1.1?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
me again

just searching a little more i found:
Far from being "universal", it is actually proprietary and is incompatible with OHCI. Intel and VIA controllers generally use UHCI, while other vendors use OHCI.

...OHCI (e.g. OHCI is common on add-in PCI Cards based on an NEC chipset).

Maybe upd2 UHCI/OHCI drivers doesn't support quite well PCI USB cards. They will be more advanced/compatible in upd3 (hope so).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
Hello,

I got an USB card with a VIA VT6212L chip on it. I plugged it in my AmigaOne XE (OS4.1 Update 2) and it gets recognized by the USBInspector, showing up as "Front Roothub (uhci.usbhcd/1" and "Read Roothub (uhci.usbhcd/0)"
For the purpose of testing I "turned off" the front and rear USB ports on the A1 by disabling them in the UBoot prefs editor, so I am sure it is the PCI card showing in the USBInspector.

What happens when you enable the onboard ports? You should see 4 root hubs in USB inspector

Also you do have the card in one of the 33mhz slots? It won't work in the one next to the AGP slot as it needs bus mastering.

Quote:

However no device I connect there shows up or works; be it mice, USB pens or HD.

Is it the Chip not being supported? If this is the case, any chance it will work with Update 3 or supported in future?

The chip should be supported fine, is an updated version of the onboard ones in the 686b SB chip. (With an EHCP port for USB 2.0)

What information does Ranger give about your PCI bus?

Quote:

If not, well ok, could someone please tell me which card I could use?
I made a search here and on intuitionbase but could not find any information.

NEC OHCI cards seem to be popular, and work well.

Quote:

Thanks!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

jabirulo wrote:
me again

just searching a little more i found:
Far from being "universal", it is actually proprietary and is incompatible with OHCI. Intel and VIA controllers generally use UHCI, while other vendors use OHCI.

...OHCI (e.g. OHCI is common on add-in PCI Cards based on an NEC chipset).

Maybe upd2 UHCI/OHCI drivers doesn't support quite well PCI USB cards. They will be more advanced/compatible in upd3 (hope so).

Yes, I read that too.. little confusing about the OHCI...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DAZ
Quote:

Daz wrote:
What happens when you enable the onboard ports? You should see 4 root hubs in USB inspector

Yes, I see 1 Front/1, 1 Rear/0 and 2 Additional Roothubs (2/3)

Quote:

Also you do have the card in one of the 33mhz slots? It won't work in the one next to the AGP slot as it needs bus mastering.

Yes, I have the card in the bus next to AGP..
mmh, this makes things complicated, which of my other cards can I put there instead?
Sound, SCSI or SII0680?

Quote:

The chip should be supported fine, is an updated version of the onboard ones in the 686b SB chip. (With an EHCP port for USB 2.0)

good news!!
Quote:

What information does Ranger give about your PCI bus?

mmh.. should I look for something in particular? Ranger lists all the devices connected to the PCI bus, including the USB2 card
I guess the problem is the bus next to AGP..

Quote:

NEC OHCI cards seem to be popular, and work well.

I'll try to put it in a different PCI bus, but then any tip which one of the other cards listed above can be plugged on the bus next to AGP?

Thanks! again

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:

Yes, I have the card in the bus next to AGP..
mmh, this makes things complicated, which of my other cards can I put there instead?
Sound, SCSI or SII0680?

Err ... as far as I know, none.

I assume you have a graphics card in your AGP slot (as you have to have it somewhere, and you list three other cards being in your normal PCI slots. Unless you're blind, of course ...).

The thing is, you cannot use the AGP slot and the 66 MHz PCI slot at the same time. This is probably also why your USB card doesn't work.

You are going to have to choose which one of the other cards to lose.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I had an NEC based PCI USB2 card waiting, combined with an NZXT internal USB host multiplier. Amigakit supplied a patch cable to hook up the internal USB-A connectors on the NEC card to the header pins on the NZXT multiplier. I now have the case USB ports and the card reader (with built in USB port) all working at USB2 speeds.

The cable arrived from Great Britian today just in time for update 3!!

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What exact USB PCI card should I get to have USB2 in my A1-XE?

I hear about NEC but there must be a million NEC PCI USB cards available, right..? Any specific chip I should be looking for?

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Any specific chip I should be looking for?

I chose mine only on the basis of it having two internal connectors (and being some sort of NEC) and it worked OK. Seems most of the retailers are doing good just to identify the Manufacturer of the chip, let alone any model number.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if This USB card will fit the bill.

It has a 9 pin usb header the same as my A1XE.
I can't remember all the USB connection details, but there is detailed page here

I have an A1XE-G3-800.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
it has a 9 pin usb header the same as my A1XE.

Lucky you! Mine has two internal type A sockets. I had to buy some extra hardware and an adaptor cable to get those headers.

I still haven't seen a clear statement whether a card with a Via chip will work or not. I can only say that my NEC based card DOES work.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Paul wrote:
Quote:
I still haven't seen a clear statement whether a card with a Via chip will work or not. I can only say that my NEC based card DOES work.

Paul

That's the info I am waiting for, before I purchase.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Both my NEC and VIA usb cards work fine on my Peg2, so, I suppose, they'd both also work on a Sam, A1 etc.... Also, they were supported before Update 3, albeit at usb 1.1 speeds.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have a VIA based USB2/Firewire card in one of my A1s and an ALi based USB2/Firewire card in the other A1. Both have been working fine during betatesting of the EHCI driver, including the last period with testing the Update 3 Release Candidates. Of course, I can only use the USB2 part, not Firewire (until somebody sits down and writes a Firewire driver. Anyone? ).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache:

I have a VIA VT6212L card here, but no luck so far. Definetly not found on the PCI. I have a MicroA1 and had a NEC based card partially working. Strangely, there are no PCI problems with a SII0680 IDE controller, even a SII3112 based Adaptec was found on the PCI at least. Ok, possible that the card is broken, would have to verify this...

Edit: Hmm, the card is ok, and it seems to influence the Micro in some ways, when its plugged in. As soon as I comment out ehci in Kicklayout, the machine boots fine

Edit2: Grrr, yes, the card is working, but is NOT recognized by the ehci driver. Just the same thing as for my Adaptec SII3112 controller. Works, but not recognized by the sii3112ide driver

Here the important parts of the Ranger PCI dump:

0x3038 Rev: 0x61 (N/A)
0x1306 (Duet Technologies)

Edited by whose on 2011/8/31 21:33:58
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Would be nice for the rest, if the ones that have a working usb2 card to take a close up shot of it. Or maybe identify the chip.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

whose wrote:
@nbache:

I have a VIA VT6212L card here, but no luck so far. Definetly not found on the PCI. I have a MicroA1 and had a NEC based card partially working. Strangely, there are no PCI problems with a SII0680 IDE controller, even a SII3112 based Adaptec was found on the PCI at least. Ok, possible that the card is broken, would have to verify this...

Edit: Hmm, the card is ok, and it seems to influence the Micro in some ways, when its plugged in. As soon as I comment out ehci in Kicklayout, the machine boots fine

Edit2: Grrr, yes, the card is working, but is NOT recognized by the ehci driver. Just the same thing as for my Adaptec SII3112 controller. Works, but not recognized by the sii3112ide driver

Here the important parts of the Ranger PCI dump:

0x3038 Rev: 0x61 (N/A)
0x1306 (Duet Technologies)

Your problem is that the card is not being recognised correctly. It should be:

Device 0x3038
Vendor 0x1106 (VIA Technologies)

ALL VIA USB cards use these ID's only the revision changes.

The ehci driver cannot work without a working uchi or ohci port for low speed.

Remove the card and clean the connector with IPA and try it again.

Check you uA1 PCI connector for broken pins/shorts too.

Also try the card in a PC make sure it's recongnised there.

Report back to us.
Regards
Darren

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Remove the card and clean the connector with IPA and try it again.

IPA?? Sure about that? Indian Pale Ale?? Well it does carry a slighty higher alcohol percentage but I still think it's going to get a bit messy, hehe

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »