Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Are you a MICROA1 Owner?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

I've got a Radeon 9250 with 256Mb in my EP. It does take up the one slot in the machine so a riser would be handy if I ever get around to finding a wireless card for it.

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MiggyMan

Quote:

MiggyMan wrote:
@gregthecanuck

If it's the same discussion I read the other day then it also needs certain pieces of documentation that don't seem to be available, as well as some degree of access to the os4 specific parts of the amiga port of uboot.

M3x from ACube has offered his help to compile an AmigaOne UBoot updater:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... wmode=flat&order=0#538741

I'm now thinking that he might have also the required ArticiaS documentation. Wasn't it available on the now defunct Mai ftp server, too? To continue with the UBoot project we need someone with an A1SE willing to check if the switcher will fit it, see these photos from an A1XE as reference:

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff261/Varthall/UBoot-A1/

Varthall

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@A1-SE Owners

Please see above, can you help?

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

Sorry for hijacking your thread :) Anyway, I'm in contact with an A1SE owner who's willing to do the check, I'll let you know about the results.

Varthall

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Varthall

It does look promising, the thread has stalled but there does seem to be life on the project page!

I wonder if the a1/micro could be made to employ the "hot-swap" method used by the corebios guys for bios updates (once it's loaded and live, pull the chip and drop a blank in flash!)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Yes, they do moan about it. Witness the many business users that still use XP in preference to anything newer. The big difference with Amiga OS is that the updates usually do work well in a much shorter time frame compared to that "other" OS.

Go to top
Re: Are you a MICROA1 Owner? (Calling A1SE Owners!)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

I don't know if you saw this post from AW in 2007, so forgive me repeating it, if you are already aware:

Quote:
I have a riser design here, but it's for a riser with 2xPCI and 1xPCIe, so it has two bridges on it. Since this is primarily for the ?A1 I kinda put it on hold until the ?A1 can handle bridge chips (which it doesn't at the moment).

No point in making a product with no potential market...

Of course, I could whip out the oldest PCI->PCIe version of the layout and finish that. But again, is there a market? The chips cost me 20 USD, add another 20 for the PCB and 20 for the mounting and you're looking at something that (imho) 99.99% of AW.net's users will just ignore anyway...

I was wondering then, are we talking about some augmentation of Olegil's designs and experiments?

Also, when Hyperion is responsible for an inquiry like the one you are making, readers will see that as more "official". This results in more motivation for the user to respond. By indicating this is a privately sponsored initiative, it communicates something less tangible.
If Hyperion either "can" or "will" not get behind the effort directly, is there something keeping them from at least posting to encourage your effort?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Varthall

Hi, as a quick check of the differences between both boards here is a good view of the SE: http://intuitionbase.com/gfx/SEPics/a1boardse2.jpg

If the other SE owner is unable to help, I should be able to create a snap of that area of the SE that measurements can be taken off, by using a piece of graph paper with a "window" in it, placed over that area as a reference.

Richard.

Go to top
Re: Are you a MICROA1 Owner? (Calling A1SE Owners!)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:

Well, sadly, with the newest releases out there, it now seems that it won't be long before our Beloved Micro's will not be of much use soon.

We have 2 choices, junk them or perhaps sell them on, (but the price will now drop dramatically)

I would say: So what?!
Give the future of the Amiga a chance and upgrade. Don't stick to old hardware when we finally will have new powerful hardware. This goes for all stubborn Classic users as well complaining about lack of, or boated, software. If you think the X1000 will be overkill then go for the Sam460.

OR

Simply stay with the ?A1. It won't get slower and less useful just because there are new hardware coming out. It will become a bit more obsoleted, but not less useful.

First of all, OS4 will not be 64-bit-only just because the X1000 comes out because that is almost as much work as going x86 if it would include being able to run 32-bit software. It might become multi-core but that doesn't matter if it is run on a single-core machine (like the ?A1).

And when you bought the ?A1 OS4 didn't have compositing so you don't loose anything by switching it off, if you insist on not upgrading to a newer machine...

PS.
I have an A1-XE G4/933 with Radeon9250/256MB and 512MB RAM and I will get myself an X1000 first chance I get!! What to do with the A1-XE I don't know... maybe sell it or something. Not important.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)