Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
[Solved]A1XE hardware docs or info needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all

I am looking for info on A1XE or board docs pdf . I have one that came with the board itself (directory "boarddocs" on the Eyetech's install cd). Afair, there's a newer version that was made public or to the dev list only. I remember having it on my A1 hd, but A1 is dead.
What I need is list of all available clock multiplier settings (boarddocs on cd lists upto x5 afaik) and if possible the pdf file itself.

Any help will be appreciated,
Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/1/7 21:14:53
Edited by Jack on 2007/1/22 11:57:47
Edited by Jack on 2007/1/22 23:46:11
Edited by Jack on 2007/1/31 14:40:22
Edited by Jack on 2007/1/31 14:50:49
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: A1XE hardware docs or info needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Check your mail

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Thanks for the pdf, that's the file. Unfortunately there's no description of multiplier dip switches. Thans for the pdf anyway. I should have put it on CD when A1 was alive.

@DJBase

Thanks for the pointer

@Raziel
Now the relevant news: highest possible the max speed of the A1G4 module is 1066MHz. That limits the choise of cpus to get for reflow to 1000MHz ones.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

That's not right, you can set the switches to get multipliers like 11/11.5 (can't find the piece of paper at the moment). 1066 MHz is not the fastest.

You can certainly set a G4 to run at (IIRC) 1.3-1.4 GHz. I'll try to find the data and get back here.

You could try asking Excalibur or PowerAmiga, they should have the data.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
That's not right, you can set the switches to get multipliers like 11/11.5 (can't find the piece of paper at the moment). 1066 MHz is not the fastest.

You can certainly set a G4 to run at (IIRC) 1.3-1.4 GHz. I'll try to find the data and get back here.

You could try asking Excalibur or PowerAmiga, they should have the data.

Hmm, thanks for the pointer, gone to ask.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Sorry, I can't find the table I drew up some years ago. I can't even remember where I got the info from, but I do remember changing the switches and reading the CPU speed from U-Boot output.

If I find it in the near future, I'll send it to you. It's not the sort of thing to post in public, because some people might try it just for fun and break something.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
If I find it in the near future, I'll send it to you.

I will be grateful, TIA

Quote:
It's not the sort of thing to post in public, because some people might try it just for fun and break something.

Indeed.

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Resurrecting this thread .

Quote:

tonyw wrote:

Can anyone confirm this? The choice is between 7455@1250MHz (200US$) and 7455@1000MHz (150US$) replacement cpus.Couldn't find the 1400MHZ version (although it was produced).

Thanks in advance,
Jack

edit:: clarified a bit to avoid missunderstandings

Edited by Jack on 2007/1/22 15:54:53
Edited by Jack on 2007/1/22 15:56:11
Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

What speed to you have your A1 set at. 1.3 sounds nice. Is it doable on the 7445 933?

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq (and anyone who got is wrong)

Warning: I'm talkng about real 1250 and 1400 megahurts G4s, not the ones shipped with A1XE. It is not an overclocking thread...

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Hope you can get your self a replacement CPU

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

I used to have a sheet of paper from back in the dreamtime when I first got my A1. I made up a matrix of the 16 possible switch combinations and the CPU multipliers that you got from each.

Although I can't find the damn thing now, I do remember multipliers like 8x (x133=1066), 8.5x, even an 11 or 11.5.
The multipliers were all over the place, binarily speaking, so you couldn't set up the switches without knowing the code.

Now 11x133 = 1466, so it should possible to get speeds of that order out of it. I'm sure I remember 1.3-1.4 GHz in the table somewhere.

I'm certainly not running my A1 at those speeds. With the dearth of hardware around, I'm not going to risk losing it and I'm running it a very conservative 800 MHz. Yes, it runs fine at 1066 with good cooling, but its life would be reduced (like any hardware that is run harder).

We've reorganised the house since the kids moved out and I'm sure the sheet of paper has been "filed" somewhere, but I've been unable to find it.

Jack, did you get on to PowerAmiga? He runs his machine at a good clip and might have the data you need. Also Excalibur (aw.net) might have the same data. If you can't get in contact with either of them, PM me and I'll email them.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
Jack, did you get on to PowerAmiga? He runs his machine at a good clip and might have the data you need. Also Excalibur (aw.net) might have the same data. If you can't get in contact with either of them, PM me and I'll email them.

Tried to pm both the day you mentioned them first, now emailed PowerAmiga. Also posted the question on AW.
That 1250MHz option looks very viable. 200US$ + 55$ on reflow (professional one)+postage makes it look like bargain.
The only thing that'll stop me is new module from Adam (or whoever is going to release one).

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@acefnq (and anyone who got is wrong)

Warning: I'm talkng about real 1250 and 1400 megahurts G4s, not the ones shipped with A1XE. It is not an overclocking thread...

I'd stay far, far away on this and wait on new hardware to come out.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Adept

Quote:

Adept wrote:
@Jack
I'd stay far, far away on this and wait on new hardware to come out.

I waited a whole year for replacement modules to materialize. And I can't afford a whole new system.
And if it won't work my A1 won't become more dead than it now, it's not as if I was talking to make a working A1 faster.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

Please refer to our PM's from amigaworld.net . this avenue is already being explored and awaiting results. Bear in mind that the people concerned also have their own hardware projects in progress and have to devote the majority of their time to those projects. This kind of experimental work is being carried out at our own expense and to the possible detriment of our own hardware so all we ask is your patience which must surely be cheaper for you in the end. If you have your own resources there is nothing stopping you experimenting. Good luck to you if that is the path you choose.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw et al

OK, I was only considering a small overclock for a MOL related issue. Reading this thread has changed my mind.

cheers
ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swisso

Quote:

Swisso wrote:
This kind of experimental work is being carried out at our own expense and to the possible detriment of our own hardware so all we ask is your patience which must surely be cheaper for you in the end. If you have your own resources there is nothing stopping you experimenting. Good luck to you if that is the path you choose.

Thanks for the info, I will follow the advice for a while (untill whatever comes first, the repair service or queue big enough here of ppl willing to experiment on their own to actually produce an order that is big enough to be checked out with cpus resellers)

@tonyw:

Huge thanks for the table you talked about, it realy clears the confusion up. So it looks like the info issue is resolved now.

Jack.

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

I got my A1XE without ANY documentation in printed or electronic format. Could you please also send me the PDF documentation. That would possibly be of great help to answer some of my questions regarding the A1 Hardware!

Regards PoD

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »