Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

SinanSam460, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Optimizing OS final install
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi!

I am surprised how much memory is used after booting OS4 final on my micro A1.
There is certainly some commodities in the wbstartup, so it should be normal, but 182 megs free from the installed 256 is surprised me compared to my classic Amiga experiences.

You can gain 3 more free megs if you disable some of the kickstart modules in sys:kickstart/kicklayout.

Just put a ; before each of the following lines:

MODULE Kickstart/a1floppy.device.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/sii0680ide.device.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/sii3112ide.device.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/sii3114ide.device.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/sii3512ide.device.kmod

AFAIK the sii#? modules are for sata ide controllers, and a1floppy.device is for on-board floppy controller which is not included in the micro A1.

Please reply to this topic if you have another useful hints to optimizing OS4 install.

Bye!

Go to top
Re: Optimizing OS final install
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

In my AmigaOS 4 Install, I removed in Devs:DOSDrivers/ all the unnecesary drivers and left only PIPE, and in Devs:DataTypes/ I removed the CDXL datatype, which I am not going to use anytime soon. In my S:Startup-Sequence I commented out the PRINTERS: assign, since I don't have a printer and will bring it back when installing one.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

How about:

;MODULE Kickstart/it8212ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/lsi53c8xx.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/3dfxVoodoo.chip

Right now with IBrowse open, The dock, CPUTemp and CPUClock I have 200 Megs free.

Edit: If I close Ibrowse I have 209 Megs free.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@lazi

Quote:
There is certainly some commodities in the wbstartup, so it should be normal, but 182 megs free from the installed 256 is surprised me compared to my classic Amiga experiences.

Do you have SFS partitions? If yes you could remove it's global cache, diskcache.library.kmod, from your kicklayout to get about 20 MB more free memory (or less free memory if you have a lot of SFS partitions, without diskcache.library each one will use it's own, partition local caches instead), but much slower disk speed.

If you don't use SFS removing diskcache.library.kmod doesn't make much difference, you'd only get 15 KB more free RAM, or about 150 KB if you remove SmartFileSystem as well.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BobW

Quote:

BobW wrote:
@lazi

How about:

;MODULE Kickstart/it8212ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/lsi53c8xx.device.kmod

Could you tell me what is the purpose of the above two kick module?

SCSI?

Bye!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

it8212 is an IDE raid controller.
LSI53C8xx is a SCSI Raid controller I think.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@lazi

Quote:

You should not take the free memory figure too serious. The new memory system uses a lot of caching, so free memory might not be reported using normal mean (i.e. AvailMem()) although it is, in fact, available. For example, any allocation smaller than a certain size is going to be allocated from caches that hold pre-allocated chunks of memory for this purpose.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@lazi

If your really that worried about free ram disable petunia.

There's a reason they don't display the free ram on windows, most people don't have any but just ignore the free ram info on OS4, the only time you need to think about it is if you get out of memory requesters...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

True but is is work while commenting out kmods that are not needed. Especially when they are for hardware you don't have.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

Quote:

Severin wrote:
@lazi

If your really that worried about free ram disable petunia.

I hope that soon there comes a time when no need to use petunia, when all application will be up-to-date and native.

But until that time drink a toast of Rachy!

Bye!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

You should not take the free memory figure too serious. The new memory system uses a lot of caching, so free memory might not be reported using normal mean (i.e. AvailMem()).

Hail for the new memory system!

How does the ADDCHIPRAM parameter of setpatch affects the largest available memory? Is it fragmenting the memory to chip and other memory or just a hack for compatibility?

Bye and thanks for the info!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@lazi

Not all the sii#? modules are SATA, the sii0680 is of course the original PATA driver.

Each mounted partition occupies a slice of memory. On my system I have about 25 separate partitions and each of those takes up memory for buffers.

If you want to minimise memory usage, you could disable some partitions in the ESM or unplug the drives you don't want to use today.

Also every running commodity takes up memory, so disabling screen savers and other stuff from WBStartup will save some more.

Re the WB memory figure:

The title bar uses Avail() to calculate free memory. Since some unused memory is always tied up in memory pools, the figure you get from Avail() is pessimistic. Just how pessimistic varies every time you call it. "Avail Flush" will free unused libraries etc, but not the pooled memory.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
If you own a radeon gfx card, disable the 3dfxvoodoo.chip driver and if you own a voodoo gfx card, disable the atiradeon.chip, in kicklayout file of course !

Go to top

Register To Post