Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
USB flatbed scanner
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My wife wants me to buy a flatbed scanner (USB). While she will use it mostly with her Win subnotebook, I'll would like to use it with my OS4.1 setups.

So, my question: Which USB flatbed scanners are known to work with AmiCygnix XSane drivers/front- and backends?

(BTW: Please excuse my ignorance, but up to now I assume AmiCygnix/Xsane as the only working solution for USB scanners and OS4.1...please correct my, if I'm wrong...).

Go to top
Re: USB flatbed scanner
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've tried a few scanners with linux/mac/classic amigas, and the best I've used have been Epson. the software is far better on mac/pc than doe example HP's. The epson's I tried have all worked fine with Sane under linux so should be ok with AmiCygnix.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I have tested a canoscan lide 200 which does NOT work.
I use a canoscan lide 30 and 50 which are working. But i don't think ay of these are sold new anymore.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ cha05e90

I recommend Epson scanners for XSane, for example "Epson Perfection 1650 Photo" or "Epson Perfection 3200 Photo". My XSane port includes three different epson backends: "epson", "epson2" and "epkowa" (original Epson backend). So chances are high, that a Epson scanner works.

But: My port of the original Epson backend - which normally supports the current Epson scanners - does not support much more scanners than the Sane backend "epson2", because these scanners do need a non free library only available for Linux . Shame on Epson.
See documentation on http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok, thanks for your suggestions. I'll try to hunt down some suitable Epson scanner then...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

But: My port of the original Epson backend - which normally supports the current Epson scanners - does not support much more scanners than the Sane backend "epson2", because these scanners do need a non free library only available for Linux . Shame on Epson.

Which library? it is compiled by Epson?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I use a HP all-in-one deskjet ntework printer. You can print through the network, through e-mail and... you can scan using OWB and the web-server embedded into the printer

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

afxgroup wrote:

Which library? it is compiled by Epson?

Yes, there are only binary packages available for Linux.
If you look at http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html, some listed scanners have things like this in the comment column:

"network interface supported via DFSG non-free iscan-network-nt package"

or

"requires DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-gt-7300"

These libs / plug-ins can be downloaded at:
http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

BTW: Even the frontend "iscan" needs a non free library (libesmod), so only the basic backend ("epkowa") can be compiled for AmigaOS.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Ricossa
Quote:
I use a HP all-in-one deskjet ntework printer.

Same here. Before I got the all-in-one I was hung up on scanning from a program in the computer. However, it's really unnecessary with a lot of modern USB/Network connected devices. I keep a flash drive plugged into my HP which shows up on my WorkBench as a USB storage device. Since I have to access the scanner to place the document or picture in it, it's just as easy to press the scan button at the same time. I can then access the scanned object from my computer as a file in the flash drive (that's plugged into the HP).
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a seperate scanner with plugin memory devices like the all-in-one printers have. If you already have a good printer, scanning from a computer with a dedicated scanner may be the only choice.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

Any plans for update on xsane with support for the canon canoscan lide 110?

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
to sum it up... go to SANE Website first and check wether the scanner is listed there or not (not only the manufacturer). Then check wether it needs a "closed" linux library only available for x86. I had a thread, I think on AW.net about my HP All-In-One Laserjet, which needed a one of those libs, therefor the backend couldn't compile on PPC Linux, and could never be ported to AmigaOS/Cygn as well. Therefor you will probably be better of, not to use a "new" scanner.

Nevertheless, there are some workarounds:

- scanners can scan to FTP (either local or on the net)
- cheaper scanners/All-In-One Inkjet based have a webinterface (HP is well known for that, and works on OWB)
- scanners can scan to USB/Card... which can be seen on WB as massstorage/drive
- scanners can scan to SAMBA Share
- scanners can scan to email

I have (LAN) Xerox 6180MFP, which scans via FTP to a NAS (actually a HD sitting on my FritzBox Router) or scans to Amiga SAMBA Share. The samba share is monitored by "dirnotify", which calls a paintproggy once the file arrived in SAMBA Share . On the scanner you could:

choose which ftpserver/SAMBA Share/email
choose resolution
choose fileformat (jpg,pdf,tiff - sadly no bmp or iff)
choose different other settings...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Found that...

Canoscan lide 35/40/50/60
Canoscan lide 100
Canoscan lide 110
Canoscan lide 200
Canoscan lide 210

Works with genesys backend 1.0-62

The lide 50 works. I have one of those. But neither 110 or 200 works. Just gives me exact same error message from them both.

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Antique wrote:
Found that...

Canoscan lide 35/40/50/60
Canoscan lide 100
Canoscan lide 110
Canoscan lide 200
Canoscan lide 210

Works with genesys backend 1.0-62

The lide 50 works. I have one of those. But neither 110 or 200 works. Just gives me exact same error message from them both.

The LiDE 20 works too. You won't be able to buy one brand new though, as they're positively ancient - and not even compatible with 64-bit Windows.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Riccosa

Quote:
I use a HP all-in-one deskjet ntework printer. You can print through the network, through e-mail and... you can scan using OWB and the web-server embedded into the printer

Yes that's what I use, works very well

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What model number would that be?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
HP Photosmart Wireless e-All-In-One B110 Series, cost me £39.99

Works perfectly wirelessly with Amiga and scanner is accesed via MUI OWB just fine

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I don't think that model is available out here in Oz. Nothing like it on the HP website.
It's an inkjet? Not a Laser?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
yes, inkjet. It works with the photosmart amiga driver and lpr-device. Scan directly through the web-server...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Tony
After reading this thread last night i tried using my HPC410a. It works perfectly with Photosmart driver. I can also scan directly to a usb key installed directly on the printer which also shows on workbench. This model alos works with eprint from email via HP.

Can anyone tell me how to try scanning from OWBMUI?

cheers
ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
you access the embedded html server. In the address-bar of owb you type the address of the printer (for example 129.168.1.2 or whatever, there is a menu on the printer where you can get the actual address) and it opens the web page of the printer. From there you go to scan.
For me, in OWB I have to set the mime-type jpg to "download file", else I can't get the image on my A1.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »