Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

BCP, geennaam, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sylpheed time out
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Almost always when I launch Sylpheed, it fails to automatically connect with my pop3 e-mail server. After a bit over a long, long minute an alert will appear apprising me of that failure. During that minute nothing else can be done.

To make matters a bit worse, Sylpheed often conks out on me, expecially when I am moving the mouse pointer, leaving no mouse or keyboard input. I have to click the A1 tower's reset button. Rebooting is fairly quick, but then I have to relaunch Sylpheed, and there's that one-minute-plus wait again.

I thought I had found a way to fix that. In Sylpheed's Configuration menu there is Common Preferences, leading to Details with an Advanced tab. And that tab has a place to set Socket I/O timeout. Hopefully, I changed that from 60 seconds to 15 seconds and successfully saved the change.

It turns out that Socket I/O is not related to my problem. It still takes over a minute for the application to admit that it failed to make the connection. (By the way, if I click Get after OK'ing the failure alert, my e-mail comes up immediately.)

So I ask, is there any way to shorten that annoying delay?

Go to top
Re: Sylpheed time out
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Are you able to send and receive e-mails? Normally this delay only happens, when the connection to the e-mail server fails.
Please check your setting of the e-mail account.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@kilaueabart

Are you able to send and receive e-mails? Normally this delay only happens, when the connection to the e-mail server fails.
Please check your setting of the e-mail account.

I thought my "(By the way, if I click Get after OK'ing the failure alert, my e-mail comes up immediately.)" answered that question in advance. No problem with e-mail once Sylpheed gets tired of "[Not Responding]" and reports a failure to connect with the e-mail server--a long wait--I click Get and get connected instantly.

Actually, I make limited use of Sylpheed for e-mail, using it to read e-mail that has Word doc or Excel attachments for example--things that I can handle in AmiCygnix but not in plain OS4. For me, Sylpheed is primarily a Usenet machine.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
I thought my "(By the way, if I click Get after OK'ing the failure alert, my e-mail comes up immediately.)" answered that question in advance.

Sorry, I misunderstood this. English is not my native language.

I never had such problems with Sylpheed and I did not hear about it since now. I think there is a communication problem between Sylpheed and your mail server. Did you try Claws Mail? Maybe it works better.

Edit:
Just thinking: What kind of e-mail account do you use? POP3 or IMAP? Encryption (SSL) or not? ...

Edited by cygnusEd on 2010/8/31 0:29:35
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
Did you try Claws Mail? Maybe it works better.

Edit:
Just thinking: What kind of e-mail account do you use? POP3 or IMAP? Encryption (SSL) or not? ...

I hadn't heard of Claws Mail. Can it be simply installed in AmiCygnix?

My e-mail account is POP3. Port 995.SSL v3.

I need to review some less-than-obvious configuration details in Sylpheed. For one thing, I can't remember what I did that causes it to look up Usenet lists before checking my POP3 mail.

Usually the Usenet list check is successful. Then it tries to connect with POP3; maybe once a month it is successful there too.

This morning it failed to get Usenet or POP3 either one, to start with. I waited while it thought about telling me "[not responding]" and then the usual 60 seconds more when that came up in the title bar. After I clicked OK on the failure alert, I clicked Get All, and it started connecting successfully with Usenet, followed by getting POP3.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
I hadn't heard of Claws Mail. Can it be simply installed in AmiCygnix?

Yes, it can be installed as usual with an installer script. If you don't use IMAP, Claws-Mail is the better choice. It has more features (view HTML mails, calendar plug-in, ...), only IMAP is missing. You can download it here:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... mail/claws-mail.lha"" rel="external" title="">http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... work/email/claws-mail.lha

Quote:
My e-mail account is POP3. Port 995.SSL v3.

O.K. - I think SSL is the problem here. The implementation I'm using for my programs seems to be buggy. It works most times, but with some programs (for example Apache/AAMP) it doesn't. Had no time to fix it yet. Claws-Mail uses the same SSL libraries, so I guess, that it has the same problem.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

I don't know if this makes any sense, but Sylpheed has connected fine four of the last five times I have launched it, once yesterday and three times today.

What I noticed is that I have had the machine running for some time when Sylpheed worked right. Usually I go directly to AmiCynix and Sylpheed on booting my Amiga, to look at Usenet before I get on to other things. That seems to be when I have trouble.

For the next few days, I will wait perhaps an hour before launching AmiCygnix and Sylpheed and see what happens. I don't see how it could possibly make a difference, but if it does I won't really care how.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@whomever

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:

For the next few days, I will wait perhaps an hour before launching AmiCygnix and Sylpheed and see what happens. I don't see how it could possibly make a difference, but if it does I won't really care how.

Sure enough, if I do other things for a while first, Sylpheed goes straight through the process of loading new Usenet titles followed without fail by checking my pop3 server.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that in these cases I have always used the internet with YAM or IBrowse or OWB before I try connecting in AmiCygnix?

Go to top

Register To Post