Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

geennaam, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmiCygnix startup wait?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Right now i writing from NetSurf which i found into base AmiCygnix distrib,so ..

Booting time of AmiCygnix with all the stuff got 2-3 second on my peg2. Really fast. Running programms inside of Cygnix, fast, but cant said that its very fast.

The only one problem which i have - its very slow redrawing of windowses and moving of windowses. For example if i resize netsurf to almost full screen (not matter that netsurf i mean, any programm, like abiworld, etc), redrawing are madness slow. Like VGA mode when you setup Win95 or kind of :)

Any trick to speedup it ? Thanks.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

Whow - this is great news!

AmiCygnix depends heavily on the performance of the network software (bsdsocket.library). Every message and every render command goes through the network.
It seems, that your router slowed it down.

Congrats

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

You could use a different window manager. OpenBox does only support opaque movements. You could try the Motif window manager (mwm), which is included in the AmiCygnix tools package. Select mwm in the AmiCygnix preference editor myX11Setup.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@Paul

Whow - this is great news!

AmiCygnix depends heavily on the performance of the network software (bsdsocket.library). Every message and every render command goes through the network.
It seems, that your router slowed it down.

Congrats

It's nice that his problem is solved, but, why were packets sent and received by the same computer going through the network in the first place? Surely if the destination is localhost then bsdsocket.library could just deliver it to the target program?

The other question that I have is whether or not AmiCygnix could be made to pass the messages internally if the X-server is on the local machine. It seems like a waste of time to send the messages/commands via the networking system when it's not really needed.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

I don't know much about the internals of the bsdsocket.library, but in a unknown way the router influenced the performace of the network. I think, that olsen could tell more.

To your second question: Yes, I had the same idea, but it is very difficult to replace that. It is typical to unix apps to use streams to send and receive messages and not a system like the amiga messages. To change that would mean a massive work.
I could use pipes, but they don't behave like sockets - only sockets are really unix compatible.
There must be something like (local) unix sockets, but they don't exist on AmigaOS.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

So that means that we should probably ask olsen if he could have a look at optimizing the bsdsocket.library.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CygnixED
Yep, thank, but i tried already all the panales/manager, but moving of windowses are slow anyway. I.e. i want to say, that is much slower that for example aos4 original app's windowses. It's must be like this, or windowses of AmiCygnix apps must be moves with the same speed as the aos ones ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

I made today a video which show AmiCygnix in action. So, you can see speed of loading and usage in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHEzNvFf2AQ

@cygnixEd
take a look please on this video, speed of moving/redriwing of windowses must be looks like this ? I.e. a bit 'slow' ? Or somethink wrong with my setup ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@all

I made today a video which show AmiCygnix in action. So, you can see speed of loading and usage in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHEzNvFf2AQ

Is there a way to download the video on OS4?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd
must to add, that is only one minus about the AmyCygnix (slow windows moving/resizing). I like clipboard support beetwen. Good that sound/networks works just after installation, and configure gui-window are good too (not need to boring about deeply X boredom).

Maybe it possible to rewrite video driver or somehow speedup these windowses lags, to make it works like os4 native ones windowses ?

Exept it, software itself works pretty stable. I have no grims for all 2 days when i play with it. But for sure, when you can't move the window fast, it's a bit 'stop' you from every day usage (but picture viewers are very good :) ).

ps. Did you think about compiling your porting stuff, like os4 native (with inside the binary all emulation layer (or spliit somehow on shared libs) ) and make it works like 'native' programm (i.e. os4 windowses, etc) ). ? I mean to make in end somethink like : user press on icon, and programm are runs without X (kind of, just run necessary parts of X , but 'transparency' for end user (i.e. like it's not), i.e. all do inside the binary ?) , as a aos4 window (screen) ? For sure it must speed up a lot app itself (?)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I forgot to answer here yesterday. That slow window movement is normal. I looked your video and it's not that bad on your 1000MHz G4 as it's on my 600MHz G3. Do you use it on 32bit or 16bit screen ? That makes a difference too. (16bit is obviously faster.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

I use 16bit mode (i also tried 8bit and 32bit, but setup said that only 16bit are possible). But if for you its much slower, then how you use it ? (i mean in real life its unpossible then with all these slowdowns). For sure need to help author to found solution to make all of this works faster.. But i think CygnusEd already have somethink in mind about ?:)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@pvanni

Quote:

pvanni wrote:
@cygnusEd

of course try:
http://aminet.net/search?query=getvideo

Thanks! Worked for me.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I don't need those apps myself too often. And it's only that window move/resize which is slow so you can easily use the apps still. And I used my A1200-030-AGA 10 years ago quite actively so I think I got used to slow computers back then so my requirements for a computer are not that high.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@cygnusEd
must to add, that is only one minus about the AmyCygnix (slow windows moving/resizing). I like clipboard support beetwen. Good that sound/networks works just after installation, and configure gui-window are good too (not need to boring about deeply X boredom).

Maybe it possible to rewrite video driver or somehow speedup these windowses lags, to make it works like os4 native ones windowses ?

Exept it, software itself works pretty stable. I have no grims for all 2 days when i play with it. But for sure, when you can't move the window fast, it's a bit 'stop' you from every day usage (but picture viewers are very good :) ).

Good to hear, that it works so stable. But at the moment, there is no way to speed the system up. You could use the MWM window manager instead of OpenBox. MWM provides a frame while moving and resizing a window.

The problem is, that the X server only uses software and no hardware rendering. Additionally the speed depend on the performance of the bsdsocket.library. It will need some more time to have hardware rendering.

Quote:
ps. Did you think about compiling your porting stuff, like os4 native (with inside the binary all emulation layer (or spliit somehow on shared libs) ) and make it works like 'native' programm (i.e. os4 windowses, etc) ). ? I mean to make in end somethink like : user press on icon, and programm are runs without X (kind of, just run necessary parts of X , but 'transparency' for end user (i.e. like it's not), i.e. all do inside the binary ?) , as a aos4 window (screen) ? For sure it must speed up a lot app itself (?)

What you mean here is a "rootless server". The window is not opened in its own display, it would be opened on the workbenck screen like a normal window.
Basically it is possible, but at the moment not in development. Deep changes to the X server are nesessary to do that. I have not the time to do that, sorry.
For me the highest priority is to release some useful software for AmiCygnix. Maybe later.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)