Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

mufa, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
A-FTP_Server refuses to start
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
A-FTP_Server (v. 1.7) does not start anymore in my system... It gives just this error mesage:

HollywoodPlayer
This program requires MUIRoyale.hwp!

But MUIRoyale.hwp is still in it's place in the same drawer as the program itself, have not touched them... I tested also a newer version of A-FTP_Server (1.9) from OS4-Depot, but it does not start, either.

Next I tried to boot from an old backup-partition, to check whether OS 4.1 U2 or Enhancer 2.0 would have mixed something, but that did not help. Also tried to remove the old prefs file, no effect.

Any idea what might be wrong...?

Go to top
Re: A-FTP_Server refuses to start
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor
Quote:
A-FTP_Server (v. 1.7) does not start anymore in my system... It gives just this error mesage:

HollywoodPlayer
This program requires MUIRoyale.hwp!

But MUIRoyale.hwp is still in it's place in the same drawer as the program itself, have not touched them... I tested also a newer version of A-FTP_Server (1.9) from OS4-Depot, but it does not start, either.

A-FTP_Server 1.9 was built to solve this problem and it works find for me. I have the latest OS4 updates and Enhancer 2 updates.

One thing I have noticed is that if you start A-FTP_Server in the hidden interface mode, then try to start it with the regular show GUI icon the interface will not appear and it looks like nothing has happened. In reality A-FTP_server is still running in the back ground and you have to use Exchange or Exchanger to show the interface.

One thought, are you starting A-FTP_Server in GUI hidden mode from WBStartup?
Also, double check that you have all the correct version of dependencies as listed in the requirements seciton of the A-FTP_Server documentation.

Sorry, may not be much help but it does work for me, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

Thanks for your answer! I realized that A-FTP_server 1.9 is indeed loaded, as I can see it via Exchange. But I cannot get the interface to open, even from Exchange...

You said "...dependencies as listed in the requirements section of the A-FTP_Server documentation..." But there was only a short readme file included in the package, and there was no mention of dependencies in it. Where can the proper documentation be found, if there is such...?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor
Quote:
You said "...dependencies as listed in the requirements section of the A-FTP_Server documentation..."

Sorry, I meant to say check the requirements in the MUIRoyale documentation. Here they are:

Requirements "MUI Royale Guide"

- Hollywood 5.2 or better
- MUI 3.8 or better
- 68020+ or PowerPC
- codesets.library for UTF-8 support
- Toolbar class requires TheBar.mcc 26.11 or better
- Texteditor class requires TextEditor.mcc 15.47 or better
- optional: CyberGraphX or Picasso96 for RTG screens
- optional: guigfx.library and render.library for palette screens

Also, did you try killing the A-FTP_Server from Exchange then restart A-FTP_Server GUI version? (all 3 processes: A-FTP, A-FTP and A-FTP Server)

What version is your muiroyale.hwp library?
Mine, located in "SYS:libs/Hollywood/" is version 1.7.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd (Talking to myself)
Quote:
Also, did you try killing the A-FTP_Server from Exchange then restart A-FTP_Server GUI version? (all 3 processes: A-FTP, A-FTP and A-FTP Server)

Interesting. The A-FTP, A-FTP entries mentioned above only show up in Exchanger and not in Exchange. Possible bug in Exchanger?

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

>Requirements "MUI Royale Guide"
>- Hollywood 5.2 or better

I don't have any version Hollywood, isn't that a commercial package...? At least the earlier v. 3.17 A-FTP_Server worked without it!

>What version is your muiroyale.hwp library?
>Mine, located in "SYS:libs/Hollywood/" is version 1.7.

There is no such file/dir on my system disk.

I have always run A-FTP_Server in the graphical mode, not the 'StartHidden' version. I was not able to remove it from Exhange, have to test Exchanger...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

What seems to be the bug in Exchanger? Can you be a bit more specific?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
What seems to be the bug in Exchanger? Can you be a bit more specific?

Not to de-rail this thread but real quick.

When I start A-FTP_Server:
Exchange show one entry in the commodities list named A-FTP_Server.
Exchanger show three entries in the commodities list.
Two named A-FTP and one named A-FTP Server.

Similiarly, when I run Odyssey,
Exchange shows one entry named "Odyssey Web Browser".
Exchanger shows two entries. One named "Odyssey Web Browser" and another named "Odyssey".

Maybe not a bug but I don't know why the difference?

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor
Quote:
I don't have any version Hollywood, isn't that a commercial package...? At least the earlier v. 3.17 A-FTP_Server worked without it!

Hollywood is probably only required for developers.

Quote:
>What version is your muiroyale.hwp library?
>Mine, located in "SYS:libs/Hollywood/" is version 1.7.

There is no such file/dir on my system disk.

As long as you have the muiroyale.hwp file in your A-FTP_Server directory it should work. I checked and it works with the older version supplied in the directory or version 1.7. At this point I'm not sure why it isn't working on your system.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor
One more thought as something to try. FontWalker also uses Muiroyale. Version 1.3 should work and you could try that and see if it's interface works.
It's archive is packaged with muiroyle.hwp version 1.7.

You can find version 1.3 on Aminet--->Here

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

There is a major difference between Exchange and Exchanger.

Exchange only controls (and displays) commodities. Exchanger controls commodities AND applications registered with the Application Library. This means that if a program starts as a commodity and, simultaneously, registers as an application, Exchanger will pick up both. If the commodity and the application are registered under the same name, Exchanger will display them as one entry in the program list (on the left of the GUI). If the names are different, there will be two entries.

To see why there are two items named A-FTP you'd have to tell me more. Are they registered as applications? Do they have different application IDs?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

>One more thought as something to try. FontWalker also uses Muiroyale.
>Version 1.3 should work and you could try that and see if it's interface
>works.

Ok, the intrerface of FontWalker is working!

>It's archive is packaged with muiroyle.hwp version 1.7.

I still tested it with both versions of A-FTP_Server, no change. Tried also to copy it on ram:, so that it is for sure on the path.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd
What version of MUI are you using? I have 5.0 2020R3.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor
Quote:
What version of MUI are you using? I have 5.0 2020R3.

I'm using the same version you are.

Not sure what else to look at here.
Did you take it out of WBStartup?
Do you maybe have two copies of it on your system in different locations?
If your starting it using AppDir: you might be changing the wrong location.
If you are using AppDir: check "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Appdir/A-FTP_Server" file and make sure it contains the proper directory path.

The only other thing I can think to do at this point is to make sure you remove any copies of A-FTP_Server from your system, re-download v1.9 from OS4Depot and re-install.

Just grasping at straws at this point.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
To see why there are two items named A-FTP you'd have to tell me more. Are they registered as applications? Do they have different application IDs?

Thanks for point out that there are Commodities and Applications now listed.
I havn't ever looked close enough to realize that.

This leads to another question about exchanger. What does killing an applications do? Does it clean up all the used resources used by the application?

The A-FTP-Server entry is a Commodity.
The A-FTP entries are Applications and they have different ID numbers one incrument appart. Seems it might be getting registered twice.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd
> I'm using the same version you are.

That leaves then only the MUI settings... The fact that v. 1.9 A-FTP_Server IS started but the user interface cannot be loaded by any means suggests to that direction.

>Did you take it out of WBStartup?

It has never been there! I have always started it from it's icon, and only when needed.

>Do you maybe have two copies of it on your system in different locations?

No...

>If your starting it using AppDir: you might be changing the wrong location.
>If you are using AppDir: check "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Appdir/A-FTP_Server" file and make sure it contains the proper directory path.

I never use AppDir: for running programs, but I have doublechecked the directory path in Env-Archive is correct.

I will do a final test by booting from a 'zero disk' (unchanged OS 4.1 installation) and A-FTP_Server installed on ram disk, but I doubt that will solve the issue...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor
Do you use any "themes" or the standard GUI settings. I'm pretty much using standard settings and no themes.
I'm pretty much out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:
The A-FTP entries are Applications and they have different ID numbers one incrument appart. Seems it might be getting registered twice.

This appears to be the case. If Exchanger displays two same-named applications with different appIDs, the application must have registered twice for some reason. (Or there are two different apps registering under the same name, which is much less likely.)

Quote:
This leads to another question about exchanger. What does killing an applications do? Does it clean up all the used resources used by the application?

No. Just like the old Exchange, Exchanger is a mere message sender: when you select "Hide" or "Kill", Exchanger sends the respective message to the application. What happens next is up to the application. The idea is that applications are designed to respond to the standard control messages provided by the OS, but whether they actually do is another thing. At any rate, Exchanger does not shut down the application process or clean up any of its resources: that's currently not possible in AmigaOS.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I did a check on my system. The Exchanger show multiple A-FTP items (three to be accurate) for the app, but the Exchange shows only one.
But even with Exchanger I could show the interface of A-FTP, using the 2 of the 3 items. The other one showed an error message and then closed.

It seems either the Hollywood does something weird or the A-FTP itself.

There might be a missing MCC library that prevents it to show up.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd
>Do you use any "themes" or the standard GUI settings. I'm pretty much using standard settings and no themes.

I have no themes in use... I checked that my general MUI settings are dated 2014, so I have probably never touched them! Only the individual settings for YAM, Odyssey etc. were fresh, but I do not have any MUI settings for A-FTP_Server.

>I'm pretty much out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

On the contrary... You have helped to exclude many possible causes for this issue! Thank you for that .

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »