Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
X-Dock help
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
ok so after realizing that somehow my compositing got turned off?? It's always been on by default! Anyow now I can use transparancy on X-Dock fine lol

question now I have is I'm trying to put some dockies into X-Dock and when i click on it in X-Dock I get "This object is a docky. To activate it, just drag it onto a dock' ???

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: X-Dock help
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
X-Dock is a 'Dock' but it's not AmiDock and does not support external dockies, it's like trying to use firefox plugins with ibrowse, both web browsers but totally different programs.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

a Dock that doesn't support Dockies

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts
I think to many programs are tied to the way that AmiDock works that don't think it's reasonably possible to replace it and who need a second dock on WorkBench. I was hoping I could use it on other screens but it doesn't seem possible. I also had too many problems with it:

Every time I accidently move my mouse pointer over X-Dock while using another program, it steals the focus from the program I'm working on. I end up opening X-Dock menus when I think I'm opening my program menus.

When I save the prefs and X-Dock opens a requester, I can't temporarily switch to another program and open menus. I can see the main menu names but no sub-menus open amd I can't select any menus. In fact I can't even open the X-Dock requester menus.

If you add a program that's on write-protected media, X-Dock attempts to open the program icon in "new" mode instead of "old" mode which causes an AmigaDOS "volume write-protected" requester, after which X-Dock seems to get lost and is unresponsive.

Overall, it's too buggy for me. Personally, I think it's more of a "toolbar" than a dock.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Turn off auto-activation to prevent focus stealing.

As for the other problems, remember this is the first release, It's bound to have a few bugs that we missed, like adding a program on write protected media which I never tried.

I don't get a requester open when x-dock saves prefs.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts
Yes, sorry, no dockies support, it's not AmiDock.

@Xenic

1) "it steals the focus from the program"
As Severin noticed, there is an AutoActivation option in Settings

2) "I can't temporarily switch to another program and open menus"
When I open a window in xdock, saying Settings or About, I can still open OWB, YAM or WB menu. What is exactly the problem, please ?

3) "If you add a program that's on write-protected media"
not tested

4) "it's too buggy for me"
ok

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

ok thanks now I know, still finding it useful on my WB even without Dockies btw

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

When I save the prefs and X-Dock opens a requester, I can't temporarily switch to another program and open menus. I can see the main menu names but no sub-menus open amd I can't select any menus. In fact I can't even open the X-Dock requester menus.

Hold the right mouse button down till the menu appears (about 10 seconds), there is obviously a menu deadlock somewhere.

Quote:

If you add a program that's on write-protected media, X-Dock attempts to open the program icon in "new" mode instead of "old" mode which causes an AmigaDOS "volume write-protected" requester, after which X-Dock seems to get lost and is unresponsive.

Not sure what might be going wrong here, but it's clearly not opening the programs icon in MODE_NEWFILE as if that were the case it would be deleted.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Quote:

2) "I can't temporarily switch to another program and open menus"
When I open a window in xdock, saying Settings or About, I can still open OWB, YAM or WB menu. What is exactly the problem, please ?

He means when a ASL requester is opened the menus hang temporarilty, theres a delay of about 10s before they open.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure what might be going wrong here, but it's clearly not opening the programs icon in MODE_NEWFILE as if that were the case it would be deleted.

Hmm okay I see that it's saving the icon back to disk after adding it to the X-Dock.

No idea why it should be doing that.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
He means when a ASL requester is opened the menus hang temporarilty, theres a delay of about 10s before they open.

This would suggest that when X-Dock opens a sub-window, the main program window does not set a busy pointer on itself (which in turn clears the respective menu flag to prevent the menu delay). BTW, the InfoWindow Class sets this automatically if you provide INFOWINDOW_Parent.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
Hmm okay I see that it's saving the icon back to disk after adding it to the X-Dock.

No idea why it should be doing that.

I test X-Dock with Snoopy running and I can see that it opens and closes the programs icon file (.info) twice in "OLD" mode, then opens it in "NEW" mode and saves it back followed by setting the protection bits.

I tested X-Dock again after booting from a backup system partition that is NOT write-protected and ended up with my WorkBench menus locked up. I tested X-Dock from ram: and this is what I did:

Added a directory named A-EON to the X-Dock directory.
Added "PREFSFILE = PROGDIR:A-EON" to the X-Dock Tooltypes.
Started X-Dock, opened the prefs and turned off "auto-activation".
X-Dock then stopped auto-activating.
Added a program to X-Dock but it didn't show up in the X-Dock window.
X-Dock was then unresponsive and my WorkBench menus were locked.

I copied the X-Dock directory to a disk partition so I could try it again with the saved prefs already present to see how it would work when starting with the changed prefs.

When I rebooted and started X-Dock again (with the changed prefs from the previous run and the changed Tooltype) it ignored the previous prefs change and was "auto-activating".

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

"when a ASL requester is opened the menus hang temporarilty"
Fixed, ASL requesters started as process now, no more blocking of external programs

"it's saving the icon back to disk after adding it to the X-Dock"
Fixed
+ removed some Locks

=> it works now when adding stuffs from a read-only volume (tested)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@zzd10h
Thanks for fixing that. I did find some prefs problems that I mentioned in my last post. I won't be able to test any fixes until we get a new version. I haven't seen any information about how A-EON will release updated versions.
Thanks again.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Quote:

"when a ASL requester is opened the menus hang temporarilty"
Fixed, ASL requesters started as process now, no more blocking of external programs

That doesn't sound like the right fix to me, but lets discuss that else where...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Fixed with your suggestion. Thank you

@xenic
I don't have tried yet to follow your procedure. I will.
Regarding updates delivery, i don't know when/how Matthew will release them.
Sorry

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

PM sent

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@zzd10h
Responded

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@zzd10h
Tested again and report sent.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I just installed x-dock from latest EhP v1.4 and I put all the 3 dockapp in it to see what they do and they dont do anything...and there is no readme telling me what they do besides their name :
- clock.dockapp is an icon and I thought it would give the actual time. clicking or double clicking on it does not do anything...
- datetime.dockapp is an icon and I thought it would give the actual date. clicking or double clicking on it does not do anything...
- mixer.dockapp is an icon and according to the readme would open the master volume, which is not happening on clicking or double clicking...

another strange thing is after clicking several time, the CPU is at 100% and the icons in AmiDock are frozen.

anyone else having these behaviors ?

config is X-5000, 2Go RAM, RadeonR7-250, SFS2

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »