Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Cygnix x-11 netpanzer and Quake 3 Fixed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have managed to get Netpanzer, Quake3 and cygnix all to play nicely together using the standard cygnix user-startup assigns etc.

In the cysgnix/home/root folder I created a folder called .q3, I also had a folder existing there called .netpanzer, I then copied the folders in my Netpanzer folder to that directory and all works well. Not sure about the sound being available after closing one of the programs, I will test that now.

ace

Go to top
Re: Cygnix x-11 netpanzer and Quake 3 Fixed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sound works fine with Netpanzer and cygnix running at the same time. However if you start Q3 after either cgynix or Netpanzer has run sound will not work, it will work if Q3 is run first.

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

fantastic work! I will put this information into my docs

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd

I only consider it as a temporary solution though, merging data files of games into the X11 directory structute, which have nothing to do with X11 is a really ugly way of getting things to work. So at some point you should really consider using your own unique assigns for Cygnix which will not conflict with the OS4 SDK, and some games/applications.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@COBRA

I totally agree, I was just about to post to that affect. I am not a developer so I don't see the affect on the SDK assigns but this gives breathing space for users whilst Ed develops his program.

Sorry if I came across that this was a panacea for everything, it clearly is not and I feel sorry for the developers who use the SDK and can't easily switch off by playing a game for a while. Mind you we all have the luxury of RAPID soft REBOOT and on the fly assigns as well.
Equally, I feel for Ed because there is no simple answer at this stage. At least this is a half way fix for now and he can continue developing without gamers complaining.

ace

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@acefnq

Just a suggestion for those that still want netpanzer and q3 in their games folder. Use makelink, to create a link from the cygnix/home/root folder to the game folder.
e.g.:
cd cygnix:home/root
makelink .q3 games:quake3 soft
makelink .netpanzer games:Netpanzer soft

This should work just fine and won't require people to put stuff in unusual places.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

I think you are wrong. I think in our case quake3 and netpanzer should be fixed, to don't use home: volume. To change every X11 ported stuff would need much more work and effort.
I agree, this is a temporary workaround.

A1-XE/G4@933+Radeon7500/64MB, A1200BPPC+BVision
AmigaOS4 on both of course.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Thanks Hans, I'll give it a go.

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chip & COBRA

I agree too, but we must see, that EVERY good unix port shouldn't use any
unix specific things. This includes Cygnix, Quake, Netpanzer and all the others.
I don't think, that all the problems are the fault of Cygnix. I wanted to create an
easy solution for unix ports, so I used the standard paths and variables.
GeekGadgets did it the same way. Today I must say, that this was a mistake,
but it would be a huge amount of work to recompile everything. So the only solution
at the moment is to remove cygnix-startup from the user-startup and initialize the
Cygnix environment, when you want to use it. This will be included in the next update.

Go to top

Register To Post