Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

thellier, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
LaTeX for OS4?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I just wrote my first LaTeX document on PC/Windows (wrote the .tex file in Crimson Editor, then converted it to PDF through pdflatex). The document was, in case anyone's interested, a laboratory report for my physics studies (named permittivity of vacuum).

LaTeX is in fact very useful for this purpose since you can write mathematical formulas so that they appear more or less as you would write them with pen on paper rather than as hard to read sequences like:
Quote:

y = -1/2*gt^2

that they would appear as in a normal text editor.

In LaTeX the above formula would be written something like:
Quote:

$y = -{1 \over 2} g t^2$

and would produce a much more readable result.

I'd guess it's also useful for other types of documents.

It would be nice if I could do this on OS4 too.

I tried using PasTex from Aminet with no luck (crashed).

I also tried porting it myself some time ago without much success. Lots of problems getting the build system to work first. Then there were (IIRC) some problems with some missing functions/whatever which caused me to give up (more or less).

So anyone want to try porting this to OS4?

Am I the only one interested in this?

Go to top
Re: LaTeX for OS4?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@salass00
Quote:
So anyone want to try porting this to OS4?

I looked into porting LaTeX some time ago but I didn't get very far and I really didn't need it. Was more of a passing fancy at the time.

Seems like you have only 1 user so far.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

I also looked at PasTex (that I used under OS 3.9 with the WOS version to write my end course report) to port it under OS4, however I did not go much ahead either I would find it very usefull to have latex on OS4 with all its latest packages available.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

I used latex on A1 when it was alive. I used pastex I copied from the A1200. Currently I have pastex crossed with latest texlive dvd I downloaded at some time (on a1200) . I looked into porting it too. The main problem was the viewer afair. Didn't work well on OS4 (pre2 or 3 then) and it's postscript interpreter is outdated. But now with all this progress in abc-sh/makre it might be possible. I'll certainly check it if I manage to get my cpu replaced.

Currently I use the latex on a1200 infrequently, mostly on linux/unix.

Anyway: LaTeX rulez!!!!
Instead messing up with WYSIWYG editors and their GUIs you program your own document. Fire you favourite text editor and here you go

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Anyway: LaTeX rulez!!!!
Instead messing up with WYSIWYG editors and their GUIs you program your own document. Fire you favourite text editor and here you go

Ditto.

So that makes 3 users currently in this thread.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@Jack

[quote]So that makes 3 users currently in this thread.

Only 3, shame on us

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Me outing as long-time-LaTeX-user: MaxonTeX (former AmigaTeX) is working on OS4, with preview and printerdrivers. I would like porting PasTeX to OS4, but i have no skills nor in C/C++ nor in porting, and my sparetime is limited (job, family, life).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:

So that makes 3 users currently in this thread.

Count me in too. 4 users... wow.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Toni

Welcome to the thread

What's the previewer of MaxonTex? Does it have a decent postscript interpreter?

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
5 users now .

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

A year ago I would have added myself to the list of Latex users. Unfortunately my academic supervisor doesn't like it and I encountered a conference that insisted on MS Word documents. I've had no choice but to switch to MS Word. However, I still use Bibtex for referencing (thanks to a nice little plugin).

I think that Latex is important enough to port. I just don't have the skills required. I tried AmiWeb2c, but it just didn't work properly.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@salass00

A year ago I would have added myself to the list of Latex users. Unfortunately my academic supervisor doesn't like it and I encountered a conference that insisted on MS Word documents. I've had no choice but to switch to MS Word. However, I still use Bibtex for referencing (thanks to a nice little plugin).

You mean they don't accept pdf files? Can't be....

Jack.

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@salass00

You mean they don't accept pdf files? Can't be....

Jack.

Yes, they did not accept pdf files.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Yes, they did not accept pdf files.

B*****ds.
Which field are you working in? The conference doesn't sound like it's precise science.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
5 users now .

Make that 6.

I had heard of Latex before but never knew what it did. It sounds like something I could use.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

... What's the previewer of MaxonTex?

Preview, Amiga Version 4.06, 29. September 1996, ? 1987 to 1996 by Radical Eye Software

Quote:

... Does it have a decent postscript interpreter?

I'm not shure what you mean; i'm using dvips for ps-output and gsview for ps-preview.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Toni

Quote:

Quote:

... Does it have a decent postscript interpreter?

I'm not shure what you mean; i'm using dvips for ps-output and gsview for ps-preview.

Do you use eps/ps graphics? If yes, are they displayed correctly in the dvi viewer? If yes, what is the level of Postscript there?
I found it a major drawback in AmiWeb2C's (showdvi, it uses hwgpost.library or something like that, and it is outdated.
I use postscipt graphics a lot and most programs (gnuplot/matlab etc.) produce postscript that it can't handle.
Maybe Olaf Barthel can be contacted on this matter (afair, he's the author of showdvi or co-author, correction: he's author of "specialhost" that showdvi uses to interface with that postscript library). If not, then xdvi with cygnix is certainly an option. Maybe a whole TeTeX compiled for OS4. Another issue (at least here) is a text editor capable of displaying left-to-right text (Hebrew). GVim on Unix/Linux does great job. The lat time I tried it on OS4 (1.5 years ago) it wasn't very comfortable (text version, a quick port I got from T. Frieden).

Any other suggestions?

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:
I had heard of Latex before but never knew what it did. It sounds like something I could use.

I am pretty sure that the documentation of The Digital Universe was written using LaTeX (or possibly plain TeX).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

I would really appreciate a port of web2c. I wrote my diploma thesis completely in LaTeX, but compiling it on my old A4000/060 was a real pain. The MiKTeX distribution on a 2.4GHz Pentium machine performed much better. It's really a pitty that PasTeX is absolutely outdated.

All in all TeX documents look so *MUCH* better than any other word processor's output.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
7 .

@tboeckel

I use MikTeX on PC too. Works very nicely for me so far. Don't think I would want to have to install all that stuff manually.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »