Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Silence...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:
Ditto on both my MicroA1-C machines and my A1-XE machine.

And what's about your Troika Panda Machine ?

Jerry

Defender of my A1XE-G4 / AOS4 Final Update !
Looking for a new toy ? Then try a GP2X...
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:

And if not?

First I have to ask: WHY not? They can only earn money if they sell OS4 for SAM. And this applies to Amiga Inc and Hyperion. Even if Hyperion looses the OS, I think Amiga Inc will release OS4 to make some sales. But let's not hope that this happens.
But I am 99% sure they will release OS4 at some point. It can only take a while. Let's hope it still happens this year. Otherwise all is lost.

Quote:
So i can safely add me to the people that WILL wait for a hardware that actually CAN run AmigaOS4.

I think many will agree with you. I am only saying that peoples who are interested in Linux should have a look at SAM before OS4 is released for it. It is an interesting platform and when they sell more SAMs, it also has more future as a platform for OS4. I think Amiga Inc. is looking for an economically strong business partner for OS4. When ACube sells many SAMs to Linux users and already has a strong position by sales to Amiga users, it should help a lot for the talks with Amiga Inc.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helge

Quote:

First I have to ask: WHY not?

Ever thought of them not being in the position to change it?
Just because they (will) bring out interesting hardware doesn't mean that AmigaInc. will jump on the train and throw a license to them, do they?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but do we already have confirmation of this product being recognized/ taken care of by AmigaInc.?

I wish them the best and would also like to shorten your expectation for hardware capable of running AmigaOS4 down to the middle of this year (latest Fall 2007).
I fear that after that it will be too late, too many people in the queue waiting for AmigaOS4 hardware to join and develop, too many already abandoned it

Quote:

I think many will agree with you. I am only saying that peoples who are interested in Linux should have a look at SAM before OS4 is released for it. It is an interesting platform and when they sell more SAMs, it also has more future as a platform for OS4. I think Amiga Inc. is looking for an economically strong business partner for OS4. When ACube sells many SAMs to Linux users and already has a strong position by sales to Amiga users, it should help a lot for the talks with Amiga Inc.

The problem is, that your thinking only applies to a closed market (embedded systems) where no other hardware is available (or at least only a few other solutions). IF people using Linux looks for hardware to run it on, they won't go searching for the SAM board, sad as it is and interesting as it is. AmigaOS4 is the only chance for this board to survive, because they (ACube) can't compete with the big birds out there, so i hope and pray that they got the secure deal for AmigaOS4 on their hands. I don't want to loose that company, they already made promises true and will make many people with broken cpu's happy AmigsOS4 users again (and i really hope i can count me to them in a few weeks).

All good wishes to ACube and the others trying to survive on that vast hardware planet

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

...and they are developing software too.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but do we already have confirmation of this product being recognized/ taken care of by AmigaInc.?

Well, at last year's Pieaneta Amiga show where Samantha was first introduced, there was a recorded speech from Bill McEwen of Amiga Inc. in which he talked about Samantha as a future hardware for OS4. It's only "talk", but at least we know that Amiga Inc. consider the Sam440 as one of the OS4 hardware products. In fact Sam440 is the only publically known hardware projects, which was publically acknowledged by Amiga Inc.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@COBRA

Yep. I covered that in #35:
here.

Surely there is no mystery surrounding what Bill wants.
Surely there is no mystery in what the Friedens want.
There is simply NO way this amount of effort would have been put in the Artic reference platform on a pure "lark".

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

I think you are being a bit too pessimistic. I cannot blame you for that, many peoples are and it's only a result of the whole bad situation.

You should however ask yourself one question:
Q: What is the goal of a company?
A: To earn money.

That's already enough to be more optimistic about the future!

More Q&A:
Q: How can Amiga Inc or Hyperion earn money?
A: By selling OS4 for example.

Q: Why can't they sell it now?
A: Because they are fighting about the ownership of OS4 with Amiga Inc.

Q: Will the conflict get settled?
A: Yes, but nobody knows how long that will take.

There is one thing I am very sure about: When the conflict is settled, somebody will release OS4 for new hardware. Maybe it is Hyperion, maybe Amiga Inc. who will sell it and want to make some money with it. They know that we are here. They know that we will pay money for it. They want to make some money because both are companies. Simple as that!
Amiga Inc. wants to make sure that the company behind the hardware is a good one and that they understand the business. I think that must be the reason why they have chosen ACube. They have mentioned them positively in the speech and maybe they think the CPU can be used for embedded markets in the future.
It has taken very long until we have heard such a positive statement from Bill McEwen. But that might frankly be because the other hardware companies (ACK and Troika) did not make a good impression on him. Maybe he did not want anymore the hardware problems of the past and thought that Amy was more buggy or that they are not a stable company with good business standings. Who knows, but there must be reasons!
He also said that there can only be 1 or 2 hardware companies. I think that ACube will be the first one and that there can be maybe one additional one, maybe even the PS3.
We only need to be patient. We have to wait until the discussions are over and the mist has cleared.
It's hard to be patient, but there is not much more we can do about them.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helge

Quote:
Because they are fighting about the ownership of OS4 with Amiga Inc.

Fact or fiction? Do we really know if they are in fact disagreeing or even arguing about it?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Last official statement from Hyperion (please note this is Hyperion talking, not the Friedens):

Quote:
We will specifically not comment on any legal issues as raised by Amiga
Inc. management as these matters are finally and at our explicit and
repeated request being handled by both parties' respective lawfirms and
we find it highly inappropriate to publically comment on these matters
in the meanwhile. Suffice it to say that some statements by Amiga Inc.
were clearly in contradiction with the views held by Hyperion's
attorneys both on a legal and on a factual level.

Evert Carton
Managing partner

Note:above edited to stay on topic of prior question and was posted on AW September 20, 2006.

Added:Same day posted on Amiga.org by Wayne, the email from Bill McEwen as a clarification to the 25 questions, answers, and comments posted on the same website:

Quote:
I want to make sure that it is understood that we at Amiga want OS 4 to ship and to ship on a variety of hardware. We would not have spent the money for the embedded products if we did not think that OS 4 could fit into the long term as well as short term plans of the company and the community. I probably spoke too loosely when I referred to certain things being "in the hands of the lawyers" and so forth. People can (and did) interpret this in a variety of ways, some of which were far away from what I intended (a lot spicier, but wrong). What I meant to get across was that we are in discussions, and that some of these discussions involve our lawyers talking with their lawyers (we are talking about legal documents, after all) -- and we have every reason to believe that everyone will continue to get along just fine. Anyone looking for blood and guts will just have to be disappointed. (It is a very interesting experience having your every word interpreted, re-intepreted, misinterpreted, analyzed, dissected, spun, massaged, clarified, confused, etc., etc. You should try it some time.)
I will be spending some more time in the next couple of days to try and better clarify my answers, where questions have come up.

Bill McEwen

Edited by number6 on 2007/3/22 17:44:48
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Helge

Quote:
Because they are fighting about the ownership of OS4 with Amiga Inc.

Fact or fiction? Do we really know if they are in fact disagreeing or even arguing about it?

Bill McEwen said in an interview that Amiga Inc. bought back OS4 from Hyperion in 2003. That means that Hyperion would no longer own OS4 and they could no longer decide what to do with it.
Do you think Hyperion agrees with that?
They have even responded to the interview with a public statement and said that they don't agree and that some things are now being handled by their lawyers! This is not speculation.

Hmm, somebody was faster than me!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helge

Note that even if they did a buyback it would not automatically mean that Hyperion would not have the right to continue development and distribution of OS4. In fact I very much doubt that Amiga Inc. would want to take the burdain of further OS4 development (bugfixes, updates, etc.), customer support and everything that goes with it. They might just want to acquire some of the OS4 sources to use for their OS5 project. So whatever "buyback" means all depends on the terms outlined in the particular contract they sign. It's really not wise to go too far with the speculations.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:
COBRA wrote:
@Helge
Note that even if they did a buyback it would not automatically mean that Hyperion would not have the right to continue development and distribution of OS4.

Yes, there is a small chance left that they can continue with development if it is all true with the buyback. But they were only contracted for OS4, not for OS5. On Amiga.org somebody had posted a leaked contract between Amiga and Hyperion. I won't trust in it too much because it was only a draft. But that is how people began to know about the word buyback and asked Bill McEwen about this! It said that when buy back happens, Hyperion has to transfer everything back to Amiga Inc: source code, intellectual property and all this stuffs.

Quote:
They might just want to acquire some of the OS4 sources to use for their OS5 project.

I don't think so, because Bill McEwen has said that OS5 will not be based on OS4. It is a completely different thing. Maybe something based on Linux? Who knows...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@All

Any news about AmigaInput ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

Not really, but in case you did not know, you can copy Amiga Input from OS4 update 4, and it will work just as well on OS4 final update.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Yes thanks i knew it, but it's a little buggy so i'd prefer to wait for a new release

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre
The silence befor storm?....

AmigaOne XE G3 750FX 800Mhz/2 GB Ram + Radeon 9000PRO 128MB +AmigaOS4.1
A4000T CyberstormPPC 604e-200Mhz/060/128MB+CybervisionPPC 8MB +AmigaOS4
and anymore other Amigas...
Go to top

Register To Post