Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: is born... (aka AbiWord 2.6.4..)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@acefnq

> Will we be able to point to Amiga directories to load MS files and images such like? If so this is one huge step forward for AOS4.

Yes of course. You can load, edit and print MSWord text files located on your HD like on every other text processor.

> Also like Hans I have to disable the assign in user startup as it inteferes with NetPanzer (with Hans it is SDK) any fix possible?

This is indeed a serious problem, but I don't know a solution for it. I had to stop using paths like bin: or usr:, but I can't do that. The only solution is to disable the assign AND the startup in the user-startup and use "Start_Cygnix.bat" if you want to run Cygnix.

CygnusEd

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

Isn't there a way to add multiple directories to a single assign? Something like:
assign bin: SDK:bin/
assign bin: CYGNIX:bin/ add

If this is possible, then you should be able to fix the compatibility issues.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

No this doesn't work. I must correct my comment a little bit. The bin: assign is no problem, but the usr: assign.
If you are searching for a file in a sub-directory of usr:, only the files of the first assign are found.

Example:

assign USR: disk:foo
assign USR: disk:baz add

If you want to open "USR:bin/echo" the file in disk:foo/bin is found, but not the file in disk:baz/bin!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Do you VBCC instead of GCC?

I use them both.

VBCC for my own programs as well as ports from m68k-amigaos.

GCC for ports from other systems (Wesnoth, etc.).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

> Well, you always steal the news from him !

First!

Resized Image

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd

Good job.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans

also i notice cygnix stops Q3 running untill i disable it in userstartup

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @cygnusEd

AbiWord
I hope to release it at the end of march

That's a great program! I've used it in linux to do WORD docs and homework.

You got my attention & support!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@afxgroup

Does printing work? I hope it does!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

See Edgar's post 21 in reply to my question. Printing is supported. this is one nice boost to the platform.

ace

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
But how can we install all these great programs on our systems too?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd

Is it not possible to map accesses to bin, usr, etc. to a seperate directory, instead of using an assign? So that programs would reference them as Cygwin:bin/ Cygwin:usr/ , etc.? Or use assigns like cygbin:, cygusr:, etc. It should be just a matter of mapping to a different path/assign.

If no such solution is possible, then at least you could only make those assigns when the user executes the Start_Cygwin.bat script, instead of directly in the user-startup. This way it would not interfere with other programs, unless you actually start Cygwin.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@COBRA

the first solution would be the best or using second one but dismounting them at end of X server

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@afxgroup

Yes, with the second solution it'd good to remember the old assigns and restore it at exit. It's not a nice solution but it'd be better than the way it is currently, having to edit the user-startup and reboot each time we want to run Cygnix.

For the mapping solution I meant Cygnix:bin, etc. not Cygwin, this is what happens to you when you use PCs at work for too long... :/

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:
Is it not possible to map accesses to bin, usr, etc. to a seperate directory, instead of using an assign? So that programs would reference them as Cygwin:bin/ Cygwin:usr/ , etc.?
For that you don't even have to change any code (or only very few which has builtin hardcoded paths instead of using the ones from configure), simply (re)configure und (re)build everything with --prefix=/cygnix, just like it was done in GeekGadgets (there it was --prefix=/gg or --prefix=/ade instead).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@COBRA

> Is it not possible to map accesses to bin, usr, etc. to a seperate directory, instead of using an assign? So that programs would reference them as Cygwin:bin/ Cygwin:usr/ , etc.? Or use assigns like cygbin:, cygusr:, etc. It should be just a matter of mapping to a different path/assign.

Yes, this is possible. It was a mistake I've done when I started with the X-Server. The Cygnix concept was created later. To solve this, I have to reconfigure all libs and projects with an other prefix and recompile everything just like joerg said. But this is too much for me at the moment. It is not a simple recompile - I have over 200 libs and programs here.

BTW: GeekGadgets also uses a usr: and a etc: assign. There was GG:, but it was not always used.

> If no such solution is possible, then at least you could only make those assigns when the user executes the Start_Cygwin.bat script, instead of directly in the user-startup. This way it would not interfere with other programs, unless you actually start Cygwin.

Start_Cygnix.bat does this already. You can use this script without the user-startup stuff. But the assigns and paths are not removed, when Cygnix is stopped and the search paths (path command) are not global then.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:
Yes, this is possible. It was a mistake I've done when I started with the X-Server. The Cygnix concept was created later. To solve this, I have to reconfigure all libs and projects with an other prefix and recompile everything just like joerg said. But this is too much for me at the moment. It is not a simple recompile - I have over 200 libs and programs here.

I get the idea. But please keep it in the todo list, because currently X11 interferes with a lot of programs, not just the OS4 SDK. For example it took me ages to find out that Quake3 no longer works because of the assigns Cygnix makes.

Quote:
Start_Cygnix.bat does this already. You can use this script without the user-startup stuff. But the assigns and paths are not removed, when Cygnix is stopped and the search paths (path command) are not global then.

Then I would suggest to remove the lines from the install script, which adds those lines to the user-startup, or it'd be even better to make the installer remove it if it finds such in the user-startup from an older Cygnix installation.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @COBRA

I get the idea. But please keep it in the todo list, because currently X11 interferes with a lot of programs, not just the OS4 SDK. For example it took me ages to find out that Quake3 no longer works because of the assigns Cygnix makes.

Never see any problems with X11.

FYI, Quake2 doesn't use any assigns. The original install uses Envarc.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:
FYI, Quake2 doesn't use any assigns. The original install uses Envarc.

Quake3 on the other hand fails to even start with Cygnix assigns, and there are some others too with such problems.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd and all

Re Netpanzer, Quake 3 and Cygnix clash.

I am using a kludged work around. There was a thread that directed to create a path like this in your games directory where your Quake 3 folder resides

for mine this is:
Games:OS4games/cygnix/home/root/.q3a/
make sure you create each of these folders.

In user-startup-I disable the line
assign Cygnix: "Work:OS4Apps/X11R6.3-Pre3"

During boot up you will get asked to assign cygnix, just ignore. In the meantime you can play Q3 or Netpanzer but once you start cygnix manually you may have problems, my quake 3 runs but with no sound (obviously it has been handed over to cygnix).

Hope this helps some folks.

ace

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »