Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Bounty (not coconut)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There has been much controversy over the conditions set by the Sputnik Bounty. I've donated, because I can afford to lose ?13 should nothing come of it, however, there are many who either cannot, or, wont donate on principle as they feel that the money should go to Sputnik and not anything else.

I've been thinking about how to address this - but in a wider context of OS 4 bounties in general. Looking around the web, at other alternative OS community Sites they appear to operate a system in which a bounty is set, and held in trust by a third party, until the work is done.

Such a third party for the Amiga could be created, but with caveats. A realistic schedule would need to be placed on the bounty - as we wouldnt want another Amizilla. Monies would have to be returned to all sponsors in the event that this schedule is not met.

So initially the bounty program will act as a trustee for bounties. The bounty program will also need to act as a means of communication between developer and sponsors/community at large - It may be too much to expect the developer to reply to every topic on "whats going on" i- but it shouldnt be too hard for the bounty program to keep people regularly informed of progress.

A mechanism for how the money is collected would also have to be set up. Paypal fees are crazy - but I cant see any way around them.

Also - some ppl would need to manage all this, and indeed someone to lead it. A website would also be needed. My reasons for posting here, is that it could be something born out of amigans.net

Also - I, like most ppl am stacked with work at the moment , so the amount of time ppl can donate to this project will be a huge factor in itself.

These are just initial thoughts. Ideally I'd have the monies sitting in one of those new 8% interest accounts.. but that would just complicate things.

Go to top
Re: Bounty (not coconut)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@bobsonsirjonny

Ok...

Set one up for paihia and Im in !!

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@bobsonsirjonny

Paypal fees are crazy - but I cant see any way around them.

I haven't any idea what you're communicating.

You believe or you don't believe in your conviction. Why all this talk

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Outcast

Set one up for Helgis' head and I'm in !!

Seriously, I can't afford to donate to any bounties but think a donate button on the authors website is a far better option.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
Seriously, I can't afford to donate to any bounties but think a donate button on the authors website is a far better option.

As a general concept for existing software or whatever service it is: I agree (I do pay shareware/donate to programmers wen I use their software when it can be done/donate to the online radio station regularly/etc), but sputnik@OS4 should exist for this approach to work.
Not in this case, the port wouldn't exist without any "immediate stimulation".
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

From what I've heard from people that have tried sputnik it's not worth the money. it's basically an unstable css engine only, no ssl, no js...

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

It IS a work in progress but already displays many sites that neither IBrowse or Aweb can display correctly.

New beta for MOS should be out in a couple of weeks. Still doubt it's usable for everyday use but SSL, cache and cookies should have been added and a lot of underlaying stuff been improved AFAIK.

@bobson
Sorry for the OT rant.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Troels

If we wait a bit and if the sputnik bounty goes well,then i'd like to se more of these bounties for good apps.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@bobsonsirjonny

Quote:
A mechanism for how the money is collected would also have to be set up. Paypal fees are crazy - but I cant see any way around them.

There are several alternatives to paypal, just not as easy to use. For example the moneybookers.com transaction fee is 1% but max. 0.50 Euro, i.e. the maximum fee of MoneyBookers, for transferring 50 Euro or more, isn't much more than the minimum fee of Paypal (receiving 3.85 Euro, or even just 2.35 Euro with currency conversion, costs 0.50 Euro with Paypal).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Troels

I know it's a WIP, but it still needs more work on the peg version, it will be far easier to get it 'completed' and then port rather than writing it for 2 systems at once.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin
I agree.
Mos version 1.0 will probably be out before Marcik begins to port anything for OS4.
At least it will have to reach a state where it is usable for everyday browsing before there's a reason for porting to OS4. Shouldn't stop us preparing for it via the bounty though.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Quote:

Severin wrote:
@Jack

From what I've heard from people that have tried sputnik it's not worth the money. it's basically an unstable css engine only, no ssl, no js...

That's another issue. I was speaking concept-wise only. If it is wise , I don't know. It's difficult enough to port such a complex software as browser. And adding plugin api, or even flash support , would be very hard, if at all possible, for one man to pull.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Bobsonsirjohnny

what's wrong with...
Resized Image

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

Flash will probably be a problem just like it is to Ibrowse , plugin api I think is there already via webcore.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

I suspect he's more into this sort:

Resized Image

It could be all the thought of all those sailors.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Naaaah .. All those sailors are here....

http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/

Probably no internet connections there !!

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I notice you managed to find the Greek version of "Bounty" judging by the wrapper

Da Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rudei

Aren't they really blue other places? I'm pretty sure they're blue here. And twice the length

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Blue ones are milk chocolate, red ones are dark (plain) chocolate

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information