Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

skynet, smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

zip files
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I noticed Peazip (Windows freeware program) compresses zip files with bzip2 method. Perhaps this is not the default though. Is it possible to open/extract these archives within AmigaOS somehow? Well, I'm sure it is, but how much trouble is it?

Go to top
Re: zip files
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Have you tried with unarc?
It can extract .bz2 files. Ain't that the same????

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
No, UnArc can only handle "store" and "deflate" in zip files. All the necessary algorithms are already in various libraries, it's just a little reorganisation that is necessary for this. I was also thinking something like FileX might help, if you know the structure of a zip file well enough.

Oh, and debian unzip 6.0 can already handle those files.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
What if you change the entension to .bz2 ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think XAD/UnArc don't care about the extension, but bzip2 complained about the magic number IIRC.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
They will be ZIPX files, they are exactly the same as normal ZIP files but with a different compression method (IIRC).

I did have it scribbled on my pad to write a XAD client at one point, then I realised I have never encountered a ZIPX file except once at work, so have no motivation to do it.

Go to top

Register To Post