Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

When is "Final" "Final"?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I just reread the news release on the Christmas time update of OS4. Hyperion refers to it by name only once. In that instance, they call it "Final Update."

But I see nearly everyone simply calling it "OS4 Final."

Doesn't Hyperion's wording indicate that this is another update just like the others, except that by name designation, they are saying the next release will actually be a saleable, true "Final Release," not a "Final Update?"

Does this make sense?

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Re: When is "Final" "Final"?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Paul

Yes, you are right in your assumption. It is the final update, meaning there will be no more updates to OS 4.0. What you have in that ISO will form the CD that ships with new hardware (when it arrives). There may be a few last minutes changes, but what you have is the last in the OS4.0 line, any further releases will be version bumped to OS4.1 etc

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

OK I ques all we here are only interested OS4 ?

Question is fair ??

amigaworld.net or amiga.org would have different thing

I hope ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

Well mu point of view is what OS out there is "Final"?

Final would indicate that it is finished, bug free and has everything in it that was intended!

Look at Windows, is that final other than last nail in the coffin? Even great OS's like Mac OS X (Tiger currently) are updated regularly, would think little updates like Amiga OS 4.0.1 would make sense, you know it's still Amiga OS 4.0 but with minor update 1...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@sicky

While I agree with your sentiments, the fact that 4.0 is final is because it is seen to be "enough" for a release, and as it is the last release (apart from actually getting a CD) of 4.0, it is considered final. Of course, no software is ever finished, but a release comes about when it reaches a standard that is considered "fit for the use of". That, is I think, where 4.0 is now.

Of course there will be updates, things may get fixed, or improved, and those updates will form part of the 4.1 release.

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

I totally agree with you there dude, was just thinking if there was a legal issue with Amiga OS 4.1 then pointing out that update could be 4.0.1

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
sicky wrote:
@Rigo

I totally agree with you there dude, was just thinking if there was a legal issue with Amiga OS 4.1 then pointing out that update could be 4.0.1

Hi sicky,

Legal issue?

Well, I'm not going to worry about something I don't know anything about, and IF it exists, those that know, aren't telling.

As far as I'm concerned, the thing holding it all back is HW is NOT ready and working and built by anyone. Simple as that.

So to repeat, the way I see it:

No one has HW that is designed and built. Amiga Inc. can't issue a license until they SEE hw.

There are certain parties that A Inc. wouldn't touch with a 10 metre pole (and I agree with their decision on those parties).

AOS4.0 was delayed till Dec. 24th 2006, in the anticipation that somebody would have working HW available, in at least 500 MB quantity, with the ability to make upto 2,000 more in short notice, should it (oh yeah, it would too!!!) sell out....

Hyperion Entertainment finally gave up waiting (and it's a terrible shame that they did) just 1 to 4 months shy of appropriate HW being made available.

I see things in that, there just isn't anyone bold enough to risk about $20 to $30 million in what everyone perceives as a "dead" market.

But they are ALL wrong.....

Hey everyone, we're just starting on the long, long, long road of handing out walking papers to over a billion beige boxes!!!!!

Looooook at my avatar. Puh-lease!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sicky

That begins to hit on my thoughts when I started this disucssion. I'm not complaining that this isn't the "real" "for sale" version of OS4.

To the contrary, I'm glad it's just one more update. The way I understand any of the legal issues from the past, as long as OS4.0 is not "Final", then Hyperion still has control over the process.

If that is the case, it's definitely a "good thing."

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top

Register To Post