Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

YAM 2.5 Problems (and how I fixed them)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Lately (last few months) I've been having YAM (PPC) crash on me, usually while editing a reply to someone. It invalidates my Progs: volume and is annoying. I've also seen weird formatting errors while typing (lines of text repeated while scrolling, etc).

On those occasions when I've looked at the log, the stack trace has been astronomical, but it wasn't until today that I noticed the stack had overflowed. The requester said "Stack pointer is within bounds but cookie has been damaged".

I looked at the icon and found that the stack was only 32k, so I increased it to 128k. Here's hoping that fixes it.

I'm just telling you this in case anyone else has suffered a similar problem. It might be caused by the latest versions of MUI classes, or by interaction with the latest kernel and library changes, who knows?

Edited by tonyw on 2008/6/23 2:09:50
cheers
tony
Go to top
Re: YAM 2.5 Problems (and how I fixed them)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

YAM will set the stack size to 65536 internally by using the usual $STACK cookie and by setting various clib depending __stack variables, so any value specified by the ToolTypes will be ignored. For me this stack size never caused any problems.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tboeckel

But doesnt the stack cookie only work on OS 3.5 or higher?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

Doesn't "YAM (PPC)" imply OS 4.0 or higher ? And doesn't "clib" imply this, too ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thomas

Whoops!

I'd like the question answered anyway,for my 68k projects. :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

It does not work in 3.9, so it probably does not work in earlier releases, too.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thomas

Oh okay. I didn't know that.

Thanks for the info.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thore:

Are you sure of that? As I understand it, DOS sets the minimum stack to that allocated in the DOS prefs, or what is in the icon (not in tooltypes), whichever is the larger.

In other words, if I set the icon stack value to 10 MB, DOS will allocate 10 MB of stack, no matter what the program asks or the DOS default is.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@thomas

Quote:

[stack cookie]
It does not work in 3.9, so it probably does not work in earlier releases, too.

It was added in OS3.5, so it should work in OS3.9. IIRC it has to be very near the top of the binary to be picked up.

It sets a minimum stack size, so the greater of DOS prefs, icon tooltype and stack cookie will be used for the stack.

It may well be that something has broken in the OS4 build that tonyw is using, rendering the stack cookie ineffective.

Chris

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tboeckel

Quote:
YAM will set the stack size to 65536 internally by using the usual $STACK cookie and by setting various clib depending __stack variables, so any value specified by the ToolTypes will be ignored.
No idea about the clib2 __stack variable, newlib doesn't support anything like that since on OS4 there is the $STACK: cookie already, but the rest doesn't replace other settings, the final stack size used is min(min($STACK:, icon stack size), dos prefs stack size).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

min ? Are you sure ? That means if I set a $STACK of 10 MiB in my exe it has no effect on a default OS4 setup because the DOS defautl is 32 KiB ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:
min ?
Sorry, it's of course the maximum of the 3 stack values ($STACK: cookie, icon stack size if started from workbench or current shell stack size if started from a shell, and dos prefs stack size).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tboeckel

I noticed the following in the current YAM:
YAM 2.6-dev [OS4/PPC] (06/28/2008), as well as the prior dev release:

(1)When clicking "New", a small window opens, as opposed to my previously saved full screen preference for that window.

(2)When I close that window, deletion is automatic, instead of using my checked setting in "Configuration/Miscellaneous/Confirm deletion of".

Both occured since installation of:
TextEditor.mcc 15.27 [OS4/PPC] (06/22/2008)

Confirmed with one other user checked the same 2 items.
Obviously, I can just try to resave prefs, but I wanted to relate this before I do that.

Added:
Stretched the "New" window to full screen, snapshot it again, rebooted, and all is fine. It must be related to the reading of the snapshot setting.

Edited by number6 on 2008/6/30 16:15:45
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@number6

Quote:
(1)When clicking "New", a small window opens, as opposed to my previously saved full screen preference for that window.

The write window has recently been replaced by an own MUI sub class and hence the identifier MUI uses to find saved window positions had to be changed. Just snapshot the window at the desired position and everything will be fine.

Quote:
(2)When I close that window, deletion is automatic, instead of using my checked setting in "Configuration/Miscellaneous/Confirm deletion of".

What do you mean with this? After have written a new mail you can mark more than i.e. 2 messages, press Delete and you are not asked for confirmation? Sorry, but neither I know what you want to say nor am I able to reproduce this behaviour (or what I think you wanted to say). Please be a bit more specific about this problem. And if you really think it is a bug, then please open a new bug report at YAM's bugtracker and provide a step by step explanation how to reproduce it. Also refer to YAM's support site for more information.

Go to top

Register To Post