Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

What's the Next "Big Thing(s)"?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
a) 4.1?
b) 4.2?
c) 4.3?

d) 64 bit implementaion of AOS4.x?
e) SMP? (Is dual core, or having TWO CPUs on the same MB an identical situation as far as SMP is concerned?)

f) Will (are?) Altivec instructions be PART of AOS? (i.e. part of CLI commands, kernal)

g) Will more sections of AOS be made in PPC assembler?

h) Multi-user and logins?
i) Memory protection

I hope these to be the case; b (is next), f, g.
e is an issue of when will the HW become available. h, I'm against.

i, I don't feel that it's absolutely required for an OS to have, and in my mind anyway, I think that neat hacks* and other things, amazing things are possible if this is never implemented.

Let's leave the "FUN" in computing, where it belongs. Certain shadowy figures are always out to control us, and I feel that computer freedom is one of the last places where induviduals have absolute freedom.

I think of computers as being a realiable extension of oneself, and therefore you want as much control over it as possible.... It's out to do your bidding (for you of course), when you are elsewhere.

Does AOS need anything, anything at all more than this to be a current, no, even, ahead of it's time, OS?

(Let's not get into applications, we ALL know that there aren't enough up-to-date ones out there. BUT, there sure is some terrific, and at least very promising stuff available. Amigans had a much higher percentage of craftsman programmers than the other platforms. Remember, we are the "FUN" platform. )

* Let's not force a closure to hacks, as they are useful, creative and fun.

P.S. Does memory protection prevent code from self modifying? I think that if AI is ever to be achieved, that self modifying code will be a component of it working.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: What's the Next "Big Thing(s)"?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist
Quote:
a) 4.1?

Most likely.

Quote:
b) 4.2?
c) 4.3?

Not any time soon.

Quote:
d) 64 bit implementaion of AOS4.x?

I highly doubt that, there are so many things are tied to 32 bit yet in the OS. Besides it is rather useless. (Bigger code with minimal speed up.) It can be implemented for apps only, this is what I can imagine for AOS in the near future.

Quote:
e) SMP?

Would be lovely, there are steps to that direction, but will be tough to implement because of how the apps are written and parts of the system designed. (Using forbid for example.)

Quote:
f) Will (are?) Altivec instructions be PART of AOS? (i.e. part of CLI commands, kernal)

Already some parts of the OS are making use of Altivec. Using it in CLI commands really makes any sense?

Quote:
g) Will more sections of AOS be made in PPC assembler?

Turning the clock backward? Hardware independency is a key feature, implementing parts in asm would spoil this feature. There are far too many parts are implemented in asm anyway.

Quote:
h) Multi-user and logins?

I doubt that it is important in the near future, AOS is clearly a desktop OS, preventing mommy/little brother/favourite child to mess around with my precious sources is not what I can picture in my head...
Quote:
i) Memory protection

It is partly done already, further improvements are aimed. (Guess why apps are crashing badly... )

Quote:
i, I don't feel that it's absolutely required for an OS to have, and in my mind anyway, I think that neat hacks* and other things, amazing things are possible if this is never implemented.

No hacks, please. I had enough of the uncertainity of AOS3.x because of the "clever hacks", which were required because it was not developed any further. I want stable OS, which punishes badly written apps, no excuses. Let's the coders learn to code, at last.

Quote:
I think of computers as being a realiable extension of oneself, and therefore you want as much control over it as possible.... It's out to do your bidding (for you of course), when you are elsewhere.

Trying to say what? You don't feel in control yourself if the apps behaving badly and you just don't have a freakin' clue they do?

Quote:
Does AOS need anything, anything at all more than this to be a current, no, even, ahead of it's time, OS?

AOS was ahead of it's time, say, 15 years ago. Now it is really falling behind the recent OS's, as they learnt most of the revolutionary stuffs, which were only available in AOS 20 years ago. Time for AOS to catch up with their revolutionary functionalities, IMO. (I can name many features what I would like to see in AOS, I bet anybody else could do the same.)

Quote:
Remember, we are the "FUN" platform. )

I would prefer a "FUN, yet USEFUL" platform.
Quote:
P.S. Does memory protection prevent code from self modifying?

Memory protection does not prevent any self modification IF it is implemented legally. You have a serious misconception of what memory protection means.

Quote:
I think that if AI is ever to be achieved, that self modifying code will be a component of it working.

Most likely not, IMO it will be rather implemented as a self-tuning neuron-net construction, which is "executed" by a constant system. But this is science fiction, and has nothing to do with AOS (yet).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The next big thing is...

CHRIMBO

Gotta put things in perspective dude !!

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Outcast
so wheres me pressy then better send it now takes for ever to get here in the crissy rush

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'll dcc ya one !!

hehe

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Convergence in general I predict!

My mobile and PC are pretty well syncd at the moment but more and more things around the house are gonna start talking the same language to each other wireless (bluetooth or whatever) or via the web.... And, hopefully I'll be in control!

Glory, Glory Man United. ..
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
AOS4 on a cell platform

It's NEVER easy...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@IonMane

Aren't we a wee bit ahead in time now?

OS4(.0) will probably (almost certainly) not be released for any cell platform. 4.1 (or 4.2) might be though. But we are probably talking atleast 3 years in the future probably even more with the current "manpower hours/per day" the OS4 project has.
There's so much more that has to be added or changed in the OS for that to be realistic for now.

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The next big thing is the Nintendo WII.
Join the Darkside!

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

samwel wrote:
@IonMane

Aren't we a wee bit ahead in time now?

OS4(.0) will probably (almost certainly) not be released for any cell platform. 4.1 (or 4.2) might be though. But we are probably talking atleast 3 years in the future probably even more with the current "manpower hours/per day" the OS4 project has.
There's so much more that has to be added or changed in the OS for that to be realistic for now.

Well, the only think that is required to change is the workbench for another "workbench" suitable for use in a phone.

"A man is only as old as the womans he feels"
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rachy

I think a minimal multiuser environnment can be acheive easily and may benefit AOS. The way MutiUSerFileSystem (MuFS) implemented this years ago was enough security wise for me and permitted myself to construct custom env for my brothers (i.e. personalized ENVARC: via small Shell scripts and a bunch of assigns).
Even an updated MuFS to work with the latest FFS/FFS2 would be enough for me, thus allowing those who want to have some security/customization to have it.

Another thing I'd like to have : a decent VNC server or even better something like this vnc server running on AOS4 would make my day : I would then be able to use my A1 even when my girlfriend is using it... This was a great idea, too bad it wasn't updated for a while...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Nah, the next big thing is :

HARDWARE

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rudei

You're confused mate, ITYF the Xbox is the dark side.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Fransexy

I was talking about having OS4 on a Cell computer.
Generally OS4 has everything that is *required* for it to work as desktop OS. Although some additional features wouldn't hurt Yes, a better Workbench is one of those features.
What's really lacking is applications.

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top

Register To Post