Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »
Help port GStreamer
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

Instead of whining,maybe we should try and help joerg and port this gstreamer for him?
Or if no one can maybe we can try to motivate him with money?

I think this is the site: http://www.gstreamer.net/

@joerg

I'm quite confident that nearly all of us are very happy that you work hard on owb. And hope you will continue with that.

Quote:

@jahc

Quote:
is it possible in the future, Joerg?
OWB uses GStreamer for HTML5 audio and video, if someone ports it to AmigaOS 4.x I'll use it in the AmigaOS 4.x OWB.

As for the other comments I wont reply to most of them, but I have to correct at least some of the worst nonsense:
- afxgroup didn't port anything in OWB to AmigaOS 4.x, he "just" built the SDL version for AmigaOS 4.x. That's the whole point of OWB: It's a very simple (no GUI at all, no support for multiple windows, etc.) browser for CE devices which can be built for any system without changes.
- I didn't remove AmigaOS 4.x support in the CMakefiles, there never was anything I could have removed.
- I implemented support for downloads myself in the AmigaOS 4.x OWB, before the download code from the AROS author was added to the OWB SVN.

Since most people seem to think the AmigaOS 4.x port of OWB it's useless crap I guess I wont waste my time on it any more.
Maybe you'll find someone else who is stupid enough to port the AROS version (required if you want to have support for tabs) or the MorphOS version of OWB to AmigaOS 4.1, but I very much doubt it.

Edited by ssolie on 2010/7/20 20:39:41
X5000
Go to top
Re: Help Joerg
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Dang, folks, way to try to kill the motivation of a developer. We need to remember this platform is a part-time endeavor at best for most everyone involved.

I appreciate having OWB very much on AOS4. It renders most of the sites I visit perfectly and quickly. I admit that I like the download manager in the MOS version very much and miss it on the AOS4 version, but that doesn't diminish OWB being the best browser on AOS4 right now.

I'll tell one thing about the MOS version I prefer that might be a quick thing to implement if the author is inclined (and I wouldn't blame him if he walked away from the whole thing now).... On MOS the two keyboard shortcuts I use most work with both the left and right command keys. Amiga-T (not M) opens a new tab, and Amiga-+ increases text size. This way, I can hit the commande (Amiga) key with my left hand and the other key with my right hand. It's less awkward for me.

I was acutally planning to e-mail the author with this suggestion when I started reading the bashing against him. With all the hoopla over Timberwolf, I was already fearing he would lose motivation.

Joerg, whatever you do, thanks for what you have done in bringing OWB to AOS4.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg

The other thread is locked now, so I'll say this here. I do NOT think that the OS 4 port of OWB is crap. Naturally I wish that it would advance faster but, as a developer myself, I realize how much effort that involves, and how hard it can be to find the time to work on it.

Please don't abandon your OS 4 port. Like you said, it's highly unlikely that anyone will make a proper attempt of porting one of the other versions. Besides, continuing with the existing port would be more productive than porting a new version, even if it is from an Amiga like OS.

@Antique

I sincerely hope that someone will have a go at porting gstreamer. OWB isn't the only open-source application that uses it, so having it available will increase other possibilities.

Another possibility could be for someone to help with OWB directly. I'm sure that things such as a download manager or an address book could be developed and integrated by someone other than Joerg.

@all

Joerg has a donation tipping jar on his website. If you think that he hasn't done much with OWB, try digging up an older version, and compare its performance with the performance of the current one. It's easy to forget just how far it's come.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg

One more thing, you said:
Quote:

Maybe you'll find someone else who is stupid enough to port the AROS version (required if you want to have support for tabs)

OWB on OS4 has rudimentary tabs support already, doesn't it? The only shortcoming being that you have to choose between multiple windows and tabs.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Another question to Joerg:

Is there anything we can do to help out in general? I don't have coding skills, and I'm currently unemployed, so the financial side is a bit iffy.

For what it's worth: I have OWB on both MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.1, and while it's true that OWB feels like more native on MorphOS due to the amount of interface integration, I find that OWB on AmigaOS actually works better. It often loads sites faster than my significantly faster Mac Mini (I have a Sam440ep) and sites tend to work better than on MorphOS.

As an addition: I'll most likely keep using OWB even when Timberwolf is done. I like the performance on webcore-based browsers, and I don't need the plug-ins for Firefox.

In fact I'd be perfectly happy if I had the ability to add bookmarklets, so I could use lastpass.com from OWB.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

I use OWB as my main browser on OS4.1 and I'm still happy with it. I'm glad that J?rg works on it and updates it. I already donated two times and will do again, when I have some spare money.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

I've offered my help in past but no answers.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
however it is not true that i've ported it just compiling it since there are a lot of patches in the trunk that are mine.. but that's it.. the life goes on..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Could you implement GETDLNAME, GETDLSIZE (Get download target name, get download size) and STOPDL (stop download) arexx commands so maybe external download managers could work that way ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thread

Everybody can check OWB Utilities from os4depot if you haven't already.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Maybe you could try to port gstreamer for him? Or any other?

As that should give us html5 support.

About download manager,i'm trying to help chris on making the dl manager on netsurf more advanced. The plan is if i succeed i was hoping to help on owb with that aswell. No hopes though!

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
@joerg

Could you implement GETDLNAME, GETDLSIZE (Get download target name, get download size) and STOPDL (stop download) arexx commands so maybe external download managers could work that way ?

While that would be useful, we need an integrated download manager. An external download manager is unlikely to be able to download files that require you to log in to the website first.

If you're serious about implementing a download manager, I recommend checking out the source-code. The Amiga OS 4 port is in the main OWB repository, and anyone can access it.

@afxgroup

Quote:
however it is not true that i've ported it just compiling it since there are a lot of patches in the trunk that are mine.. but that's it.. the life goes on..

It seems that a lot of people don't realize that there's no such thing as "the OWB GUI," and that each platform has to provide its own code for the GUI and platform specific stuff. Really, OWB is more of a library that can be used to build a browser as opposed to a fully featured browser like Firefox.

Also, your initial port seems like ancient history now, so its easy to forget (or not know at all, for newcomers).

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

I'm trying to compile OWB, so far I have compiled 5%, I can get every thing working so commented out a few lines her and there, I hope to get download manager working.

The source code in the svn tucnk looks old, does jurge not synchronize?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Hans

I'm trying to compile OWB, so far I have compiled 5%, I can get every thing working so commented out a few lines her and there, I hope to get download manager working.

The source code in the svn tucnk looks old, does jurge not synchronize?

It looks like the last time that his code was merged into the main repository was 7 months ago. You'll have to talk to Joerg to get updated source-code.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

In support of Joerg, I want to say that I have used OWB since it first came out, through most of the upgrades to OWB 3.29. Of course there have been some issues along the way, but all in all, I support his efforts. I am currently using OWB 3.29.

As for any further upgrades or improvements to OWB, I am not a programmer or a developer so I cannot help there. As a user, I can speak with feedback and donations.

I have used IBrowse, AWeb APL Lite, OWB, NetSurf and Timberwolf Alpha 1 release. In my humble opinion, Timberwolf needs alot more work before it will replace any of the others. Currently, I use OWB 3.29 and NetSurf 2.5 as my main web browsers.

---
redfox

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg

I reply here as old thread was locked

First of all that discussion wasn't born to blame anyone, we talked about software not people but I have to say sorry if that offending Joerg or anyone here, this wasn't my intention really ...

Quote:
- I implemented support for downloads myself in the AmigaOS 4.x OWB, before the download code from the AROS author was added to the OWB SVN.

Ok, so i'm wrong here too, sorry again, it seems I was bad informed here ...

Quote:
Since most people seem to think the AmigaOS 4.x port of OWB it's useless crap I guess I wont waste my time on it any more.

Reading this site it seems the opposite, most people seems appreciate ... but to be clear I never say that your software is "crap" or somethings similar, I just say that current release doesn't cover my need, maybe I be a bit rude but this doesn't change the concept, then I asked if someone can be able to port another one, that's it ... by the way continuing discussion is a non sense, hopefully you can change idea about dropping the OWB support, this was not my intention at all ...

Peace, if you accept ...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Quote:

Where most people, joerg ???. I have just read the locked thread and just Samo79 would like to see a better gui for owb AOS4 and thats all (and thats understandable).

For me the donations made for OWB was enough (and you have said yourself It's enough, lots of months ago) to show you the great interest for OWB AOS4 for all the versions existed until now.

It's again a not enough developper problem surely and a thread made during a wrong personnal time period maybe....

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thread

As many times, when some people don't use very well the english language it tends to create such misunderstandings.
It's bad but you can't do anything about it

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
The best way to support Joerg would have been to NOT restart the locked thread, by not quoting the old one . IMHO this thread should be locked, and a new one started that is more clearly "how we help joerg" not "and this is what people were whining about" (that allows people to re-start the locked-thread issues).

BTW, is the source code to OS4's port of OWB fully available? If yes, then anyone else can theoretically look at adding stuff.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

yes of course..
except that you must patch all CMakeFiles since joerg doesn't patch them.

i'm really tired...
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »