Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Installation manual (Done)
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I started to write an installation manual:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=24

Please feel free to help me with the incomplete sections and corrections. Just post in this thread.

Edited by orgin on 2008/2/21 6:12:55
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: Installation manual
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

MS core fonts are here as per includeed readme:

http://strohmayer.org/sfs/files/corefonts.lha

BTW: M$ core fonts seem to be free, here's the license file from debian's msttcorefonts package:

license

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Jack

"Copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be distributed for profit either on a standalone basis or included as part of your own product."

So it can't be included in OS4 for example.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

So it can't be included in OS4 for example

But they can be pointed to in the installation instructions of OWB.
Debian also doesn't provides the fonts as part of the package, but there's a script that downloads and installs them.
That way all's clean and nice.

Edit:
And as Joerg pointed core fonts are optional and in abscence Deja-Vu fonts are used (afair).So they aren't destributed in the proposed above way, but suggested-with-links.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Jack

Yes I updated it to optional earlier today.

But even so, had they been required it would not have been a good solution to require an extra download in a fresh os4 install.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

had they been required it would not have been a good solution to require an extra download in a fresh os4 install.

Yup. Luckily it is optional. To be OK legally-wise the stuff should be repackaged to contain the EULA b/s.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@orgin

What it needs is an Installer script that downloads all the relevant archives and extracts/installs them in the correct places.

Or at least one that tells you what you are missing would be a start.

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

Amiupdate support for all the components would be better.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
There, the manual is now complete.

If you want me to add something, such as in the troubleshooting section, or correct something then just post here or send a PM.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Nicely done!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Here's the way to get'm from linux(debian):

1. install msttcorefonts package on linux

2. copy the /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts dir to Amiga

3. Use type manager to install the fonts, skip duplicates and remove the redundant "*_0" and "*_1" entries in the installed fonts side of type manager.

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/2/21 23:44:33
Resized Image
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Jurassicc

Quote:

Jurassicc wrote:
@Chris

Amiupdate support for all the components would be better.

Rigo said he'd look into it if someone provided him with a list of files, dependancies etc.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: Installation manual (Done)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mikey-C
now thats a great idea lets hope it can be done

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Jack

OKey I'll try doing it on my Ubuntu machine and write up a manual for it.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Updated for 1.13

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
3. Use type manager to install the fonts, skip duplicates and remove the redundant "*_0" and "*_1" entries in the installed fonts side of type manager.
That's a nearly sure way to get fonts which don't work in OWB since TypeManager doesn't set up the font families automatically, you have to do that yourself after installing the fonts. That's why I created the corefonts.lha archive with the .font and .otag files for the core fonts, with the correct names and with the font families set ...

I've created a small test page to check the installation of the core fonts, you have to start OWB from a shell to check if everything works correctly (there must be no messages from OWB about missing fonts).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

That's a nearly sure way to get fonts which don't work in OWB since TypeManager doesn't set up the font families automatically, you have to do that yourself after installing the fonts. That's why I created the corefonts.lha archive with the .font and .otag files for the core fonts, with the correct names and with the font families set ...

You're right, proper way is not to install your .font and .otag files, but to import the relevant linux fonts (to select lower or upper case linux files).
(edit: and to "modify" the plain font of each family to have bold/italic/bold italic parts assigned in typemanager)

Interestingly, the wrong way did work for me (I think I know why).

edit2: BTW: why the designated bold/italic/bold italic fonts are not picked up requiring to modify the plain fonts?
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

ok now i have no error running OWB from shell.

But ... it would be better to complete your good doc with the creation of the bold, italics etc with TypeManager.

Thanks for your good guide!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
BTW: why the designated bold/italic/bold italic fonts are not picked up requiring to modify the plain fonts?
It's possible to calculate italic and bold fonts from the regular ones, but of course the designed ones look much better.

Without the names of the other family members in the .otag files it's not possible to find them, for example simply appending " Bold Oblique" to the regular name for getting the bold italic one works for "DejaVu Sans", but it doesn't for "Arial" ("Arial Bold Italic") or "Nimbus Mono L Regular" ("Nimbus Mono L Bold Oblique").

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

I get the occassional complaint from OWB about Tahoma Bold on a few web sites:-

I've found the ttf for it here

http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts-t.html

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top