Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: OWB 1.12 available
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Ricossa

Seems OWB could use a Complete Installation Manual (On a clean OS4 install). With all extra archives you have to download, font issues etc.

It seems to me that an amiga program shouldn't be this complicated to install.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Take a Windows machine, go to the c:\windows\fonts, make an archive with all *.ttf files.

Take your archive to OS4 and install all the fonts to your system with TypeManager. And no problem anymore with the fonts (you even will have som extra fonts to play with).

This was all I had to do to get rid of all my troubles with OWB (except the known bug of OWB hanging and eating all the CPU when surfing on certain websites).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@orgin

maybe a manual first... :D

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@K-L

Does not seem very fun that you need Microsoft copyrighted material to use the browser. Since that means that it can never be shipped as a default browser with the OS unless Hyperion pays a large sum of money to Microsoft for the right to use them.

Some free to use fonts should be found instead.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

True indeed but since Windows machines are widely spread, it is not that difficult to get them (the fonts) until another solution is found

--
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@K-L

can we use OSX fonts as i have no access to windows machine

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@poweramiga

I really don't know about OS X fonts since I took those of a Windows machine. You can still try and anyway this will bring new fonts to your system

--
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Afaiu, license terms of the fonts are:
here

Can someone with more understanding of these issues comment?
This was found in msttcorefonts debian package.

Edit:
Imho, providing the original font file that this linux package dowloads as part of the installation will be sufficient (with the license file I pointed to in the link)

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@poweramiga

Yes i use OS X fonts on OS4. Just use TrueType manager or whatever is called to import them.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ikir

Thanks ikir installed and running

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
Does not seem very fun that you need Microsoft copyrighted material to use the browser.
The core fonts are not required to use OWB, if a font a web page is using isn't installed OWB uses the DejaVu fonts included in AmigaOS4 instead.

But nearly all web sites, incl. amigans.net (http://www.amigans.net/themes/klesterjr_hnl/styleNN.css ... TR, TD {font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial; ...), use them and if you have them installed the pages look better and as they were intended.

Quote:
Some free to use fonts should be found instead.
The core fonts are free for personal use, the only problem with them is that you are not even allowed to change the archive format, only distributing them in the unchanged .exe CAB archives, as available on sourceforge.net, is allowed. Although most people read the README_AMIGAOS4 included in OWB with the link to my archive with the .otag files for the core fonts it seems most overlooked the readme in that archive, it includes the link to the download section of the sourceforge.net core fonts projects and explains how to extract and install the core fonts TTF files, you don't have to copy them from a Windows or MacOS system.

There is no documentation for the AmigaOS4 port of OWB yet, would be nice if someone writes something better than my readmes which hardly anyone seems to understand

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think most of the problems comes from not installing the .so files, did every one having problem install the .so files, SDL shard objects and libcu and libsdl.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@joerg

I get some major graphical errors after resizing the OWB window, scrolling down a bit and then hovering the mouse pointer over links:

http://orgin.biz/~orgin/icons/owbbugs.png

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
I get some major graphical errors after resizing the OWB window, scrolling down a bit and then hovering the mouse pointer over links:

http://orgin.biz/~orgin/icons/owbbugs.png
It's a bug in OWB itself, for example it happens on linux as well. I've fixed the fonts related infinite loop bug of OWB (www.vg.no, several wikipedia.org pages, etc.) now, but I can't fix all OWB bugs myself, "just" porting it to AmigaOS4 is more than enough work already

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

I've fixed the fonts related infinite loop bug of OWB (www.vg.no, several wikipedia.org pages, etc.) now, but I can't fix all OWB bugs myself, "just" porting it to AmigaOS4 is more than enough work already

Ooh sweeet! Now I don't have to fire up my (less and less used) windoze machine to read the news.
Thanks a ton for your hard work J?rg!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

WOW, your supper thanks.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Monoxyde

Quote:
Ooh sweeet! Now I don't have to fire up my (less and less used) windoze machine to read the news.
You can test it with OWB 1.13 now.
But on www.vg.no OWB is still very slow, unless you disable JavaScript.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@joerg

What is your plans for it from now on? In terms of bookmarks, url completion and such.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@Monoxyde

Quote:
You can test it with OWB 1.13 now.
But on www.vg.no OWB is still very slow, unless you disable JavaScript.

It works!
With Javascript enabled I get a CPU usage varying between approx. 50-80% after the main page is loaded, but the speed is still acceptable.
With Javascript disabled it's faaast!!

A big thank you to our one-man-coding-machine!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
What is your plans for it from now on? In terms of bookmarks, url completion and such.
A GUI for the settings instead of the tooltyes and env variables and adding more options (fonts, font sizes, proxies, etc.), adding scroll bars (for the window only, not for frames, iframes, textareas, etc., that's something the OWB developers have to add) and adding support for downloads (unless Andrea is faster implementing it ).
Adding a simple bookmark should be no problem either, but since OWB has no disk cache URL completition would be limited to the URLs used in the current session.

BTW: OWB 1.13 is in the AmiUpdate database now, using AmiUpdate to install it is much easier since it automatically installs the new shared objects, etc.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »