Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

daveyw, more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

« 1 2 (3)
Anonymous
Re: Constructive criticism of Hyperion
@eliyahu

On roadmap: we don`t know what is for OS 4.2, OS 4.3 ... that is a overall wish list of what we are missing.

On suggestions: No, it wasn`t spread on several forums and blogs, this topic remained just here.

If I keep lowering expectations, they won`t b expectations anymore. And if it goes lower then decent two way communication, then there is not much expect.

Am I one of people Steven is angry on because its NEVER enough? I shouldn`t be as I desire just what Hyperion promises. Its the process and communication in it, and long delays and veil of uncertainty and censorship that is the problem. And that can be easily solved and Hyperion has been improving - with support forum and blog as they are, and website, from not having any.

Hyperion as-is might be doing quite a lot, but that doesn`t mean it can`t be better or done better or the more people shouldn`t be hired.

I am a bit astonished how everyone is OK with censorship and rude style, just because they do develop and OS that we use.

Thanks everyone for constructive suggestions, we`ll see how much Hyperion involves user feedback.

Go to top
Anonymous
@ssolie

>I also need to keep the support forum focused on support and
>not filled with noise so some topics will continue to get
>locked and off-topic stuff removed. That keeps our beta
>testers focused on the real issues and we don't have to wade
>through junk like this posting day in and day out searching
>for customer bug reports. The end result is a better, higher
>quality OS.

Than it is a beta testers board NOT a end user board.

Please provide another support forum, more suitable and with better support for non developers.

Thanks for being honest you are not for a PR.

I agree Hyperion should have someone else doing a PR
and support in forums.

P.S. I see no junk there, and not much traffic. There should be no off topic and no locks in OFFICIAL SUPPORT FORUM. I have seen no justified reasons and no exponations given on lock, which is bad for any public fora.

The end results is contrary of better and higher quality SUPPORT of users. Board should be about SUPPORT and not OS DEVELOPMENT only.

I kept saying you do it like a developer team leader, for a reson. Keep in mind, I am NOT a member of your team, and neither many are. But you live on or OS use.

Go to top
Anonymous
Another interesting idea that can`t be discussed in support forum (as it will be locked) is having AmigaOS more hardware independent. Point of OS4 transition was chipset independence, thanks to which we can use many PCI cards today
and PPC transition.

In such terms Hyperion decided to go for "Apple" formula in teing OS to certain AmigaOne hardware, as Amiga Inc desired.

Today, there are no such formal restrictions.

In light of better sales (and funds of OS4 development) is idea of e.g. having a Hyperions QEMU build with AmigaOneXe firmware packed with AmigaOS 4 for AmigaOne be acceptable basis to sell (legally) AmigaoS 4 for x64 users in virtual box?

Other route to be a software only company (that Hyperion is) is spreading OS4 to much PPC hardware possible.

Currently, EFika, YDL Powerstation, old PPC Macs, Playstation 3 and XBox are not covered. Since AmigaOS 4.1 already runs on G4 and G5, linking up with remains of PPC Mac and MorphOS community to do the drivers, would enable much wider sales of OS4 for 100 eur or so licenses with no much fear of piracy.

Saying that Playstation 3 is currently most common still used hardware that can be obtained cheap, especially older versions that can run Linux too.

On AmigaOS 4 software some better unity with Linux dudes that make FLOSS software is benefitial. Instead of waiting for our dear developers to port Linux apps, some Linux hosted AmigaOS 4 in LinuxPPC virtual box would be great to make just for them (or publicly sold, as you desire). As much as I understand they can already compile to target AmigaOS PPC, but they can`t test it, and that is a gap why we never have any official support.

My fear is, X1000 and X2000 and Acube are great, but it will generate little sales of AmigaOS 4 which means a slow pace of development due to low funds. Even if its hardware wise and exclusive, if it makes slow pace of AmigaOS progress, it must be wrong strategy.

Meditate and consider, is all of those solutions, crazy or beneficial to Hyperions survival.

Its not me who decide will you survive, its you. I can only support it or not.

Go to top
Anonymous
And last in CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, are Hyperion games. DO something with them. Generate some income.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2011

I am glad Amigans.net exists, as official support would lock or move this topics "to focus on AmigaOS development", or simple but effective, ignore it

Comments, opinions, constructive ideas. Brainstorming is welcome as well as company that takes in user feedback. Having direction is good, but making products for the users (considering all suggestions and feedback) is even better.

@Elwood

>Steven is OS4 team leader, not an employee of Hyperion

Again, ping-pong. So it does mean Hyperion does not develop OS4 anymore (its one way to get it right, isn`t it?) OR how can we lobby them to employ him since he is a good team leader? Anything that would make things better and people more responsible for what they do.

@ssolie

>That said, I wouldn't mind some constructive and informed >criticism. I do not want it in the form of a forum posting >which I may or may not ever read. So use email for that >please.

I am glad, but it will come by itself in Hyperion blog and forums, once they became less restrictive PLEASE. Surely, I will summ it in one e-mail to you, and one to Trevor. But public forums also give brainstorming, and I do see you are more active here than I.

@eliyahu

>acting like you can speak for everyone on what should be >done is not acceptable in basic ettiquette. don't bite the >[developer] hands that feed you.

Amd vice versa. Its the users hands that feed it all, or at least should be. It is said community that has few developers and almost no end users. And no one has the ettiquete to say he knows it all and has everything in his hands,but some individuals have "such strong appearance".

Even if idea was discussed before, new users might not be aware of it. Create FAQs for example to skip such questions or have already generated answers.

People want to contribute - people that aren`t developers like I do, with money and ideas - but often it seems everything is (not) working on a single track mind that is hard to figure out, even at AmiWest times, and that we are kind of left to watch "1FPS pace of development", with no bounty, kickstarter to support.

At the other hand, I see way much more updates and apps done by 3rd party developers like Kas1e, Fab and others then official AmigaOS beta testers team - who is then heading the development?

I do understand extra hands are needed, and I am sad I will never be a programmer (but will started playing with Hoolywood but if Hyperion lets say needs extra coders and can hire them 100$/hour to finish Timberwolf, needs 200 such hours of outsourced work, community would respond to such bounty or kickstarter and fund it.

But no, there isn`t any, isn`t it?

Clearly there is something wrong with way things are now and there is a space to do better. Good will and open mind.

As example that it can make sense (and I do hope not all Amigans are ravaging lunatics) MINT became most popular in tough competition, because ... "However, one of the best features of Linux Mint is the fact that the developers listen to the users and are always fast in implementing good suggestions."

In the end if you don`t implement user suggestions, who do you make OS for?

Edited by vox on 2013/10/27 3:03:57
Edited by vox on 2013/10/27 3:45:14
Edited by vox on 2013/10/27 4:21:57
Go to top
Anonymous
As an example, what happens when you believe official support forum has right to censor users / cut them off support:

-----------

http://hkvalhe.blogspot.com/2013/10/lack-of-faith.html

Because of the many heated email exchanges with Mr.Dickinson and the Frieden brothers in hope to realize that things like 3D support should have been in place several months ago, I was warned with a 7 days ban from Hyperion Entertainment Support Forum.
------------------------------

And yes, what gives you right to ban registered user
from Support forum because of private e-mail discussion?
Even if its just 7 days ban? And what was so nasty that Helgis has posted on support forum? His wishlist? Being disappointed (as we all are) drivers are not yet done?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

lol, you are quoting Helgis on the "unfairness" against him (and ONLY him) yet you are becoming his twin regarding posting style, constant demanding and impatience...good luck with your crusade...

btw:
Quote:

Being disappointed (as we all are) drivers are not yet done?

You are NOT our spokesperson, you are not even MY spokesperson, i can do that on my own.

So speak for yourself instead of creating a hypothetical crowd behind you

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
This thread is starting to derail.

Keep it calm or moderation will kick in.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Anonymous
@Raziel

Surely, I am not you, and you are not me.
None of us is crowd, crowd doesn`t exist anymore in Amiga land. Each individual is highly important.

In a way Hyperion style of rule is deciding both OS and Hyperions future. Playing like no help or people are needed (Microsoft support style) will be a quick road to history.

Just as an example, such feedback would be highly regareded in Linux community, and is truly a two way street.

I am interested - you are happy with this moderation and censor style, close to Iran?

You have just twice publicly advise me not to question anything, since everything is perfect.

Laugh, but with all his faults, Helgis IS a great AMIGA SUPPORTER and decent and hardworking human. Lose him and me for example and you are down for two potential X2000 users and people that invested themselves to community in any which way, for years now.

And I am not a child, if situation persists or I get punished in a way they threatened Helgis, I will sue Hyperion for not providing support for all products I have registered - and that is almost all they have ever released or have on sale. Asking for refund and international court punishment and public declaration that support is not working on Hyperion website. You either evolve to better, or as moderator say, you degrade.

You see, as social worker, I am not conformist but for social change and had enough of police state and dictatorship in my own country.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Amigans was a quiet place...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

Quote:

I am interested - you are happy with this moderation and censor style, close to Iran?

Enjoy your ban...

I'm out...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Okey locking this now. There's not much more to say anyway. If Hyperion has something to listen for here I'm sure the time for that was passed somewhere in the first half of the thread anyway, and the rest of it is of no use to anyone.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
« 1 2 (3)