Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 60

BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Device at boot time
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Bug or feature?

Why are devices/volumes which are present at boot time not unmountable?
If I have a CD/DVD in my drive, the icon stays there until next reboot, doesn't matter how many times I eject, reinsert it or put a different disk in.
AmigaOS4.1u2 on AmigaONE XE.

Go to top
Re: Device at boot time
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

Huh? Never heard about such a problem and also works fine here.. I tend to always have the DevCD in the drive and only remove it if I need another CD and of course the DevCD icon vanishs as soon as I eject the CD...

Can you try to boot from the install CD and check if there's the same problem? It may be that the icon of the install CD itself won't vanish as it is the boot media. But any other CD icon should show/vanish when you insert/eject the CD.

If that works, something in your current installation is broken.

And if it doesn't work, then I would try another CD/DVD drive .. I'm by no means an expert, but maybe your specific CD/DVD drive sends a somewhat uncommon eject "message" which isn't undestood or so.

In any case, you have to do some more tests to nail down the exact reason..

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Amigo1

A disk icon stays on the desktop if a file or directory is still opened on the volume. For example if the disk contains a .backdrop file which names several left out icons, you first have to put back all these icons before Workbench allows the disk icon to disappear.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thomas

... or if there is an assignment to that disk volume or a directory on it...

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all
@cyborg
@thomas
@tonyw

I apologize for the inconvenience. Looks like my mind played games with me. In those past days I tried every possible combination but I could not get the result I posted above.

But I'm sure (well not anymore) it happened the way I described in my first post, and there was no tool or application that I know of which could have locked it.

Anyway, I'll bake a cake for you guys in the hope you'll wont stone me the next time I post some fantasy bugs.

cheers

Go to top

Register To Post