Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

C:Time/Date bug & other clock issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Open a shell window and type:

time save

The time gets saved to the system clock (and not the battery clock, which setclock is for) but it resets it to the start of the current minute.

I.E If it is 23:43:37 and you type "time save", it'll set to the clock to 23:43:00.

This bug is also in the "Date" command. Date 23:00:35 will ignore the "SS" of HH:MM:SS even though it says it's valid in the documentation.

There is also another issue i'm having, where I am losing time, without even rebooting. I'll come back after a few hours and have lost 30 seconds or so, without any reason.

Sometimes I reset the computer, and it's set to yesterday, or some other strange date and time. I can never get the clock to be stable, i'm constantly updating it.

Edit: I initially thought it might not be a bug, since you cannot set the seconds in the Time preferences utility, however you can click the "save" button in the time utility and it won't reset it back to the start of the current minute, so I think it is a bug when using it on the command line.

To think of it, what is the point of the "save" option on the command line in the "time" command? You can set the time using "c:date", and using the save parameter in "time" is only useful for... well, nothing?

The setclock documentation refers to "setclock load" being in the Startup-Sequence. I don't ever remember that being in the Startup-Sequence, whether it be OS3.1, 3.5, 3.9 or 4.1.

As I said before, the time loses seconds or minutes without me rebooting or doing anything in particular. So, adding it to the startup-sequence wouldn't help in this case.

Edited by MickJT on 2010/9/12 15:49:52
Edited by MickJT on 2010/9/12 15:54:45
Edited by MickJT on 2010/9/12 15:57:51
Go to top
Re: C:Time/Date bug & other clock issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
There's also another bug in "Timezone", if you choose to use locale preferences, then the TZ ENV variable it creates is not necessarily what is set in your Locale preferences. I'm in South Australia which is UTC+9.5

The TZ var is EST-10 unless I untick the option to use the locale settings in the Timezone preferences utility, and then it's CST-9:30 (no way to get GMT+9.5 ?)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

CST-9.30 is correct. For whatever reason, the sign is reversed in the TZ variable. I blame the Americans.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MickJT

With this program in c u can update o view the real time of a time server.

The bin and code:
http://freesoftwareando.com/2010/06/18/times-v-0-2/

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@jackepc

Or you can leave my own Facts running in the background as a workaround for dodgy timekeeping

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can use "date server=ntpserver" too, but i'd rather figure out the cause. I might try replacing the CMOS battery.

The other problems still exist, Time/Date both reset to the start of the current minute, and Timezone cannot use the Locale preferences properly, and doesn't get my timezone right, South Australia is not EST-10.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT
Timezone information is stored in plain text files. I don't remember the location right now but you can find them somewhere in SYS:

I would suspect your region needs a correction to the corresponding timezone file.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

Yes, in the Locale:Timezones directory

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top