Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SFS02 and JXFS support on parthenope: How ???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

If an amiga user would like to use Debian and/or AROS also on his SAM computer (for example), parthenope must be used.

SBL or SLB_V2 or the parthenope version on Acube-systems site or Parthenope version from AROS are the same. AROS version is the most advanced actually (correct me if something wrong here).

The parthenope version from AROS is the most uptodate actually and could be used without problems for AOS4 actually.

The problem is when AOS4 user want to use more than one OS system, AOS4 must be formatted with SFS00.

SFS02 and JXFS isn't supported by Parthenope actually.

Question: Is it posible to see soon a parthenope version, who support SFS02 and JXFS ????

Of course the goal is to have an unified parthenope who could be used with SFS00, SFS02, JFXS and booting AOS4, debian and AROS without filesystem problems for the user.

informations taken on this thread:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=32185&forum=28

EDIT: Yes, not an AOS4 problem but an AOS4 enhancement request

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: SFS02 and JXFS support on parthenope: How ???
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mrodfr
Maybe you can pay joerg to have the work done since he is the current owner of JXF and SFS/2. There is a "Donate" button on his web site.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:
If an amiga user would like to use Debian and/or AROS also on his SAM computer (for example), parthenope must be used.
Using Parthenope is only required for AROS, the AmigaOS 4.1 SLB supports booting Linux.

You can either use AmigaOS 4.1 and Linux (SLB), or AROS and Linux (Parthenope). It's not possible to use AmigaOS 4.1 and AROS, unless you replace the SLB each time before booting the other OS.

Quote:
The parthenope version from AROS is the most uptodate actually and could be used without problems for AOS4 actually.
Wrong, Parthenope does not support booting AmigaOS 4.x. FFS can't be used as AmigaOS boot parition with it because it AFAIK it only supports short name FFS partitions (DOS\0-DOS\5), not the long name FFS ones (DOS\6 and DOS\7) which are required for an AmigaOS 4.x boot partition. SFS can't be used either becauses it only supports the AROS SFS (which is basically the same as the ancient AmigaOS SFS version 1.84), not the current AmigaOS versions of SFS.
It might still work in some cases, but I wouldn't risk it.

Quote:
Question: Is it posible to see soon a parthenope version, who support SFS02 and JXFS ????
No, the Parthenope authors intentionally made it impossible to add AmigaOS 4.x support to it by using GPL code, for example for the CD/ISO9660 parts.

@ssolie

Quote:
@Mrodfr
Maybe you can pay joerg to have the work done since he is the current owner of JXF and SFS/2. There is a "Donate" button on his web site.
I would even add it in Parthenope for free, but the minimum amount for releasing the required parts of my file systems under the GPL is 2M?

Edited by joerg on 2010/8/6 17:24:06
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

If I understand well: and thanks for your explanations

- SBL support linux and AOS4 only and full FFS, SFS00, SFS02, JXFS (all filesystems knows on the amiga side).

- Parthenope support AROS and Linux and just old SFS00 68k.

- Parthenope could be used to boot AOS4 but no warranty...

Question:

Is it possible to see one day SLB supporting AROS ???

It is important to explain well because users could switch to parthenope (without enough informations) and could maybe have some problem (for example with FFS used).

hum, joerg, are you sure parthenope support maybe more than you have explained (better SFS or FFS longname) because maybe parthenope have been improved since ????

Edited by Mrodfr on 2010/8/7 5:56:29

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:
If I understand well: and thanks for your explanations

- SBL support linux and AOS4 only and FFS, SFS00, SFS02, JXFS (long caracters) mean all filesystems knows on the amiga side.
JXF isn't supported. The SLB supports FFS (all 8 formats of it, even if only DOS\6 and DOS\7 can be used for the AmigaOS boot partition), SFS\0, SFS\2, ISO9660, Linux (ext2fs/ext3fs) and network booting.

Quote:
Question:

Is it possible to see one day SLB supporting AROS ???
No idea. It would require an AmigaOS 4.x developer who knows how AROS booting works on the Sam440, and since I doubt any of the AmigaOS 4.x developers cares about AROS at all probably AROS paying for the work.

Quote:
hum, joerg, are you sure parthenope support maybe more than you have explained (better SFS or FFS longname) because maybe parthenope have been improved since ????
No idea about long name FFS support, adding that would be possible, but adding support for current AmigaOS versions of SFS would only be possible by reverse engineering my file system. If they really did that I'll sue them.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

looks like the only option is to boot AROS from a USB stick on your Sam..I personally wouldnt mess with screwing up AmigaOS or Debian trying to get AROS botting on Sam

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
adding support for current AmigaOS versions of SFS would only be possible by reverse engineering my file system. If they really did that I'll sue them
Instead of trying to sue them, maybe you could add AROS support to SLB. It will give another reason to buy OS4 and this is good for us, and Hyperion too.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:
Instead of trying to sue them, maybe you could add AROS support to SLB. It will give another reason to buy OS4 and this is good for us, and Hyperion too.
I can't add AROS support to the SLB because I don't know anything about it, using code from their nonsense GPL SLB replacement (the reason for using a SLB, instead of putting the code directly into U-Boot, is to be able to use closed source code, a GPL SLB makes no sense at all) isn't possibe and even if I someone would pay me to implement AROS support in the SLB I couldn't release such a version since only a few small parts of the SLB are mine, not the whole thing. It's up to Hyperion to decide if support for AROS, NetBSD or other any other OS should be added in the SLB.

Another option, if ACube wants to support AROS, would be to put the required parts of the AROS bootloader into the Sam440 version of U-Boot and add an "arosboot" command.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

joerg wrote:
Another option, if ACube wants to support AROS, would be to put the required parts of the AROS bootloader into the Sam440 version of U-Boot and add an "arosboot" command.

must admit that would be cool for Sam owners as I would like to be able to triple boot AmigaOS/ Debian/ and AROS on my Sam flex..that is if it;s reliable and won't mess up my partitions

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Where came SBL ???? (Handmade code by AOS4 team or also free source code program less restricted than parthenope).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg
Quote:

Yet another option: add code to slb to load and start parthenope boot loader. I'm going to try this the other way around.

ciao

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
It's up to Hyperion to decide if support for AROS, NetBSD or other any other OS should be added in the SLB.

Sure.

Quote:
if ACube wants to support AROS, would be to put the required parts of the AROS bootloader into the Sam440 version of U-Boot and add an "arosboot" command.

Right, but I don't think there is enough space on the EPROM for such code.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mausle

Quote:
Yet another option: add code to slb to load and start parthenope boot loader. I'm going to try this the other way around.
You could create something even more complicated which makes even less sense as well ...

I guess the 2 other obvious solutions, besides adding an "arosboot" command in the Sam440 U-Boot, are just too easy
- Use the AmigaOS SLB for booting AROS. Since Parthenope can theoretically boot AmigaOS, it just can't load it because of the missing file system support, you obviously know how it works and it should be no problem to implement an AROS "loader" which converts the arguments passed from the SLB to it to the ones the AROS kernel gets from Parthenope.
- Remove the GPL parts from Parthenope and reimplement them with free code (APL, BSD or similar licences) to make it possible to add code for my file systems to it. Of course such a Parthenope version would have to support the usual SLB booting methods (Kickstart/Kicklayout for AmigaOS, boot/a1boot.conf for Linux) as well, having to replace them by a menu.lst like in the Parthenope version on the Sam440ep Debian install CDs (which destroy the SLB on the HD without any warning!) is not acceptable.

Edited by joerg on 2010/8/7 19:26:21
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:
@joerg

Quote:
if ACube wants to support AROS, would be to put the required parts of the AROS bootloader into the Sam440 version of U-Boot and add an "arosboot" command.
Right, but I don't think there is enough space on the EPROM for such code.
Parthenope is quite small, and large parts of it like the Linux and AmigaOS support aren't required for an "arosboot" command. If it still doesn't fit in the FlashROM simply compress more parts of U-Boot, or replace the bzip2 compression for the already compressed parts by something better like lzma/xz.

Go to top

Register To Post