Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

The new Installer and documentation
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello, with the new installer for OS 4 inside of the new update 2, is there documentation of new features and intructions sets? or I have read the guide of OS 3.9, I want know the new features and if the new installer has multimedia effects as the installer of OS 3.9 showing background pictures, and If some day we have one installer that has effects as the installer for example as in windos.

Go to top
Re: The new Installer and documentation
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Templario

With respect to any other OS's out there, but

an Installer should install a program and do this with minimal time waste but maximum security

it should NOT

flash me with boring MultiMedia content to mask it's inability to be faster and/or more secure (i remember the install sessions from friends Windows PCs and i wanted to smash them EVERY SINGLE TIME - just why can't they simply copy and GET ON WITH IT??? ... sorry )

Just my humble opinion, leave the programs to do what they were intended to do

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

ya I'm with you on that....I hate eye candy nonsense on any installer

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Hey Raziel, you have lived adventures in PC games, the some multimedia effects can be of great help, for example show you the icons to install, thing I did for my Eye Viewer program but now with the OS4 installer is very complicated show one picture with one screenshot with these icons to choose.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Templario

You should be able to use MultiView and then Installer's rexx command to get rid of it afterwards. The extra functions of the OS3.9 Installer have not been added to the OS4 version, as you will see from teh updated documentation which was included. The only change I can see are a few new options for the database command.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Templario

Exactly my point, leave multimedia to the games

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Templario

Thread moved to the correct forum

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

I know the possiblity of use Arexx with Installer and Multiview but I don't know as closed the window opened with the picture.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

yes the multimedia for the games, but sometimes is necessary but show pictures with information, as for example to choose between several icons sets, or other things.
Other thing is to do a script with background pictures that every minute change to pic, or music, etc., this can to be very bored I saw it in pc games that enough of this abuse.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Templario

if we have to wait too much time, to end an installation, in amigaos,
to have the need to relax meanwhile, i will start to worry about THIS version of amigaos...

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amije

Not, but sometime one picture is worth a thousand words.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Templario

Of course Templario is correct, but no-one seems to acknowledge it here.

Just add a simple banner above that changes every X% or X seconds (whichever is sooner) showcasing features of the product that is being installed.

In fact every major application should use a standard OS native installer and all application developers should be 'encouraged' to submit a minimum number of banners. Programmers should be proud of their end-product why not showcase it at its best?

On a similar trail of thought look at OS4 Depot, I believe developers should not be able to submit a GUI-based application without at least one screenshot.

As an Ex-Amiga user and M$ Hater (and possible future buyer of X1000) I'd love to be able to look at OS4 Depot (and similar sites) and see what software is available and what it actually looks like on-screen.

Foreinstance someone just uploaded SilverBlack and SilverBlue themes on to OS4 Depot... no screenshots were submitted!

Pictures do indeed tell a thousand words.

PS. In which decade are grey background windows (eg. folder windows and requesters) in Amiga OS going to be replaced with white! Purely from an eyesight pov White or Blue text simply do not show clearly on a grey background.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Agree, an Installer should just install software, no eye candy. Developers should do their best to avoid installer scripts where possible. It's so much nicer to unpack an archive, put the program wherever you fancy and run it without leaving a trail of files in various drawers around Workbench, adding to startup sequence, etc, as installers often do.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
PS. In which decade are grey background windows (eg. folder windows and requesters) in Amiga OS going to be replaced with white! Purely from an eyesight pov White or Blue text simply do not show clearly on a grey background.

Never! Such talk is heracy!

Seriously though, I like the grey. The grey should stay , find it easier on the eye personally and is very much part of the OS look. Changing it would probably have unforseen consequences and be more trouble than its worth, besides would rather OS4 developers spent time on other things like USB2, bluetooth, improving prefs, etc.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Daniel

Yeah sure all them things are valid and should be given more priority, grey is fine, but a darker grey would be more appropriate to bring the blue and white text more into focus and stand off from the background; eg. listing files in a folder as a list.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Templario
Sorry but there are no docs for the new installer yet.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
@Daniel

Yeah sure all them things are valid and should be given more priority, grey is fine, but a darker grey would be more appropriate to bring the blue and white text more into focus and stand off from the background; eg. listing files in a folder as a list.

White text on white background?

Agree about the light blue on grey issue, only recall coming across this in YAM though. But I think that is something YAM developers should really address and change default settings in YAM to present emails on white with black text, with the widely used royal blue for links.

Go to top

Register To Post