Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Firetail, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: accidential deletion
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

try this if you have SFS filesystem on SYS: then this will work:

Open shell, and then type this:

wbrun sys:.recycled

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

This is how my utilities drawer looks like. Should be quite the same for you i belive. You can see the partition wizard with the screwdriver over the cd stack. Thats the program you need to run.

Resized Image

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

TY ChrisH and I'll take your advice and wait , I still have this old 2nd hand PC to communicate with and as long as it's working, I'll listen and learn from your website and experienced people ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Everything worked great in the Partition Wizard until I needed to copy the Dialer to the drawer from where it originally was, which was the Internet drawer in OS4.1 Partition....but when I select a file another requester open and asks me to "Please insert OS4.1: in any drive" it has four buttons at bottom of requester with "Retry" "Assign" "Mount" and "Cancel"...so I hit cancel to return to the file or window "Select File" and then I stopped,... wondering how I would copy the "Dialer" into the Internet drawer , where it belongs ....BTW this is all very interesting as I can see where it's quite an advantage to understand this Operating system or ANY OS....I like this ...it's eye opening ...but I need more info if I'm to be successful in copying this file correctly.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

TY for info , but what's a SFS filesystem?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@diamond

SFS is one of the filesystem the HD is formatted ON. on amiga exist SFS, FFS and JXFS.

FFS exist since the beginning of the amiga and after SFS and recently JXSF. It's like FAT16,FAT32, NTFS, etc... on the PC.

With an HD formatted with SFS, a feature allow the user to recover some of his previous deleted files (located in .recycled if user keep this name) and if on the first format, SFS has been chosoed with .recycled feature.

Example:

- you open a file management like dopus4 (maybe you have on your SAM).
- catalog your SYS: partition.
- add SYS:.recycled
- the file management program will show you the last deleted files (sometime with 000, 001,... if often the same file).
- Just make a simple copy to another location and the file is recovered. The location must be choosed depending of the use of the file of course.

It's another method who look like the partition wizard one (but using a file management program).

File management program: dopus4, filer, ....

Hope the explanation is enough to understand well...

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond
Just try his suggestion (WbRun Sys:.recycled), and see if it works. If it opens a new window, then you are using SFS, and you will be able to find the deleted file. If it does not open a new window (and you typed it correctly), then you will have to try another solution.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond
Hm.. Try to save the file to ram: When you recover the file put ram: in the drawer text area. Then it should be in the ram disk. Then you can open the ram disk on the "desktop" and just open the system partition and go into the drawer where the file is supposed to be,and then drag it over from the ram disk. Hope this was a good explenation.

Quote:

diamond wrote:
@Antique

Everything worked great in the Partition Wizard until I needed to copy the Dialer to the drawer from where it originally was, which was the Internet drawer in OS4.1 Partition....but when I select a file another requester open and asks me to "Please insert OS4.1: in any drive" it has four buttons at bottom of requester with "Retry" "Assign" "Mount" and "Cancel"...so I hit cancel to return to the file or window "Select File" and then I stopped,... wondering how I would copy the "Dialer" into the Internet drawer , where it belongs ....BTW this is all very interesting as I can see where it's quite an advantage to understand this Operating system or ANY OS....I like this ...it's eye opening ...but I need more info if I'm to be successful in copying this file correctly.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

Thanx...That jogging my memory , of course I remember the file system now that you explained it... talk about forgetfulness.....

Ok...I'll try it again but I'm still slow on the instructions, simple things ... like basic moves..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Where do I type that , how do I get to that place?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

When I try to execute an instruction or a move, it defaults to
that : Please insert OS4.1 ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

When I did that a ".recycled" window opened with four icons in it "Connections" "MakeCD" "Netinterfaces" and "Utilities"
but no Dialer icon...and I cannot open the drawers.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Ok it all worked fine as you said ...except the drawer that went into the RAM was ".recycled"...so now I dragged the ".recycled" drawer into my internet drawer where the drawer"Dialer" was but I just end up with >recycled" in the Internet file??? what did I do wrong?? And "Dialer" is still in the wizard file.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@diamond

.recycled is a drawer and inside this drawer, you should find some recent deleted files.

Why not just someone sending to you a dialer file by mail ???

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

Seems like what Mrodfr said. Try to go into the .recycled drawer and inside there active the files you want to recover. If there is a .icon file for the dialer take that one too.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

Important information about AmigaOS in general, AmigaOS hides files whit out icons.

You most slow all files, this can be done from the window menu,

1) Right click whit the mouse, menu comes up.
2) Select "window" menu item
3) Select "show"
4) select "show all" in the sub menu.

You most repeat this operation on all windows, if you like this setting better then you can snapshot the window, look inside the menu again.

Hope you can find the files there, after a while the files might be damaged or replaced and this when files disappear from the .recycled drawer.

One more thing do NOT move ore delete the .recycled drawer, if you do you can no longer delete files, .recycled drawer is a special drawer and thats maybe way its hidden

Edited by LiveForIt on 2009/10/20 23:51:00
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Yes, I know that all... but be usefull for diammond also

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique and all...................I probably don't really understand this now...I thought I did up to ...in the Partition wizard and after I checked the box to the left of "dialer and then hit Salvage...but this time a "Select File window opens with a Clipboards -Drawer-Todays date , and next line is : T-Drawer-Todays date. At the bottom of window Drawer "Ram:"...which is different then yesterdays probably because I have already transfered the file to Ram and then dragged it to the Internet drawer....my question is if I transfered it, why is Dialer still in the Partition Wizard? and when I open the Internet drawer I get the Internet window open which of course shows the nine icons including the .recycled drawer....which when I open it is empty ? It just shows a window labeled ".recycled", with nothing in it??

So what did I do again?..seems that I end up with more questions then answers.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@diamond
The complete SAM Flex system I purchased from AmiKit had all the partitions formatted with the SFS filesystem. I'm not sure if Partition Wizard even works with the SFS filesystem so I would be careful about using that utility until you've determined whether your partitons are formatted with SFS filesystem or FFS filesystem. Here is a way to determine what filesystem is used on your disk partitions:

Open a shell window by double-clicking on the Shell Icon in your SYS:System drawer or single-clicking the Shell Icon in AmiDock. Enter "C:info" (without the quotes) to see information about your partitions.

The partition labeled "DH0:" is usually your system (SYS:) partition. Enter "C:mountinfo DH0:" to see information about your DH0: partiton.

One of the items listed will be "DosType". If the DosType entry is 0x53465300 or 0x53465302 then your partition is formatted with SFS/00 or SFS/02.
The entry would look like this:
DosType = 0x53465300
or
DosType = 0x53465302
and would itentify the partitions as SFS formatted. If the partiton is SFS formatted then you can see recently deleted files by entering:
C:list DH0:.recycled

If you are not comfortable with using a command shell then others may be able to help you determine what filesystem your partitons are formatted with. I will repeat that I don't think you should be using Partition Wizard with an SFS formatted partition. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

Quote:
Why is Dialer still in the Partition Wizard?

Files are made up of blocks, when the files are deleted, the blocks are no longer registered as in use,
Partition Wizard looks for sign of prehistoric files whit in the deleted/free blocks, and copy the blocks that remains to safe location, avoiding deleted blocks to be overwritten in process, thats way it uses RAM.

When you copy the restored/copied dialer back it may or may not overwrite deleted blocks, you never know whats going to happen to the free space on the disk.

Hope this is not too technical.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »